Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Waiting 7 months for a defence is an issue for khabib when mcgregor hasn't defended any to the point of being stripped.

I've no issue with him waiting 7 months, but don't say you want to stay active and in the same sentence that you want your next fight in 7 months time.

I suppose with Khabib's history a fight every 7 months would be extremely active.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I've no issue with him waiting 7 months, but don't say you want to stay active and in the same sentence that you want your next fight in 7 months time.

I suppose with Khabib's history a fight every 7 months would be extremely active.

Maybe. Or maybe he wants to fight November / new year.

How long is ferguson out? Mcgregor back late this year so maybe that time frame is aimed at either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

At this stage I'm with Woodley, DC and Whittaker and just laughing at what a prat McGregor is. 'Why you want to fight with bus??'-Khabib. I do want to see him fight again though. If he had seriously injured someone I'd feel different but he is just a bit of a joke at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Not sure if this has been posted yet but these posters were all over the arena at the event last night. Olivier Aubin-Mercier tweeted about them. Kavanagh banned and he was in Hungary when the incident happened!

DaNe7FMVAAAHJ1w.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He will be doing Ramadan in the middle of May for a month, that brings him up to Eid the middle of June (15th). Hes gonna want a few weeks to get back to normal after that so lets say a month to 6 weeks between getting back to normal and taking a break for a few weeks. That's now August then straight into an 8 week camp and it would be October at the earliest before he would be fighting. Taking all that into consideration November isnt that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

So Nate's been pushed out the bed for Khabib by the McGregor botherer's ......always ready to jump into bed with anyone that lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

cliggg wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but these posters were all over the arena at the event last night. Olivier Aubin-Mercier tweeted about them. Kavanagh banned and he was in Hungary when the incident happened!

DaNe7FMVAAAHJ1w.jpg

Charlie ward not there??

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Charlie ward not there??

Exactly ! And Tommy Mcormak is ? Wtf.

Charlie ward not there??
    No need to have him there, he knocked himself out running away from the scene of the crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Charlie ward not there??

I assume it's the two lads from maclife and Artem's official corner i.e. people who had official permission to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Visconti wrote: »
    Connor would meet him in a field somewhere trust me. Khabibs fight was ****. Connor will break him up. Connor and the PA or whatever the cowley lad is were wrong, the stumpy ward fella was throwing a few shapes too they were all wrong and thugish, but then khabib and his "gangsta" friends did group fighting **** with those poor saintly Diaz brothers so he is no angel either.

How old are you, 12? Shouldn't you be in bed for school tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Charlie ward not there??

I assume it's the two lads from maclife and Artem's official corner i.e. people who had official permission to attend.
    I think its the team who'll have been given special access for the last McGregor 'UFC event' the May Mac fight (Tiernan Bradley was a sparring partner, the cutsman, and a lad from Severe MMA).

What do we think McGregors fight post since will be on social media? a trolling apology style post similar to after the Bellator/Goddard incident

I think its the team who'll have been given special access for the last McGregor 'UFC event' the May Mac fight (Tiernan Bradley was a sparring partner, the cutsman, and a lad from Severe MMA).

What do we think McGregors fight post since will be on social media? a trolling apology style post similar to after the Bellator/Goddard incident
    Total guess on my part but I'd imagine his lawyers have told him to say nothing at all about it, if he's seen to make light of it or admit guilt (even though he's clearly guilty) it will only make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

SBG as a business should have processes to follow and would surely have to take some disciplinary action against the boooooyyyys from a compliance perspective especially?

SBG as a business should have processes to follow and would surely have to take some disciplinary action against the boooooyyyys from a compliance perspective especially?
    The same thing could be said about the UFC/Zuffa too. Conor will not get any meaningful punishment from either & I don't know if Kavanagh will do anything about the others seeing as he can't/won't do anything to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Wailin wrote: »
    How old are you, 12? Shouldn't you be in bed for school tomorrow?

Im 13, no school tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

I would not back Khabib against Mcgregor . He is extremely hitable.

If he was so tough Khabib would not be killing himself to cut to 155. There is a obviously a reason why he keeps cutting as i am sure when training he gets a smack off a welterweight he doesn’t like it . Luckily so far he has not fought anyone at lightweight with dynamite in the hands .

Can see Conor stunning him and TKOing him in the first round or maybe the 2nd . There were times in the fight last night where you can see clearly if it was Conor in front of him he would get smacked cleanly to the chin and put away .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't back either of them. They are polar opposites, one can knock you out at any time and the other can make you submit at any time. Either of them could win if it ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Visconti wrote: »
    Anyone know how long Tony is out for?

I'd love to see Conor v Tony in a number 1 contender fight in August. The winner faces Khabib in November.

I love how Khabib said he wants to stay active and he'd like to fight in NY in November. That's what he calls active? A 7 month break.

A november fight for khabib lol and him knowing connor is pencilled in to fight in September . If thats not a duck I dont know what is. He should quack instead of mumbling in Russian.

think you are reading too much into that. I just watched khabib's post fight interview
    http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/khabib-nurmagomedov-to-conor-mcgregor-ufc-223-win-beg-for-title-shot. ;
    I think he is open for a fight with anyone, at least that's how it comes across. He also says anytime, but that is not true cos he has ramadan which he does not fight around. But september/november time would not be affected by ramadan. He also says that conor has to "beg me" which I think is just show. GSP isn't much of a shout out either, when Khabib says himself he does not have to return and that he admits GSP has no reason to return. Also, GSP according to Ariel says khabib has unfinished business 

So it looks like it will be conor v khabib in Sept/Nov IMO at given what we have so far, assuming conor's court appearance does not jeoradise that. where will it be vegas IMO. there is also the money issue the 2 wil have to agree...

A pity conor did what he did tho. I will definitley support him less. It just was not necessary. I liked that interview with Khabib. I liked how he was a bit humble and how he said he did not want to let being a champion change him. He even went onto say that might be more about how people change around him. 

why did conor do the bus melee? 
    1/loyalty to Artem
    2/raise his(and his and Khabib's) profile
    3/get suspended/get out of contract     

I think it was all 3 above, but I am sure 1/ was the most important reason I am not sure. he's a complicated game. 

On 1/ what a loyal friend. But even Artem probably thinks he went too far judging by his face when he saw the dolly hit the window.  

On 2/ UFC are milking it and will continue to milk the bus episode if they do promote the fight.Result will be more money.
    Conor may turn alot of people against him that were for him but overall I think there wll be an overall net increase, which will mean more Money/PPVs 

On 3/ tho. Why have the UFC never stripped Conor? I mean actually come out and stripped him? They always just say someone else is champion. Someone mentioned earlier on here that if they strip him, he could possibly get out of contract. Can anyone expand on that? 

I wonder what the conversation was like before they landed in New York. Did conor say, he would look after any legal ramifications/costs for them? Or are his minions not that clever to even have that discussed? Or is it just an unwriiten rule in the pack? Or maybe this attack did go too far. But interesting of the videos I saw of the event the interesting quotes for me that I heard conor say was "Chill" before they went down the lift, "Smash the glass" just before cian crowley broke the front windscreen, "lets get out of here" and "woo-hoo" after the damage was done. He does not sound intosicated in all them bits at least and the Police mugshot records corelates/corroborate with that. maybe all this is just aother reason why JK gave him the notorious name. By the way I am interested to know what JK has to say on the matter. Whatever he says publically, privately he must think it is absolutley too far. reminds me of how fergusson used to publicly always defend his players, but what he said privately would have been interesting. Did anyone see Romeros comments on the event he was more of the opinion that we should try and help conor so that he does not do this again. I know some will say he is beyond that. maybe there is a philisophical question there about correction/rehabilitation. Or how do you help people know they were wrong. You can only do so much. You can bring a horse to water but you an't make them drink it. I think conor knows what he did is wrong. In the heat of the moment I am niot sure. He may just not really care and the fact that he has more money in the bank that level of not caring has risen, cos now he has some money to make the consequences go away. crazy/sad world.        

Also, does anyone know who it was trying to throw the fence at the bus pretty sure that was not conor? 

wow that turned into a bit of a brain dump :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ricero wrote: »
    Mcgregor fanboys make me lol :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Don’t you mean “Connors” fanboys, that don’t know his name is Conor?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anyone know how long Tony is out for?
    No Idea, but I did my MCL (opposite side to Tony). Grade 2 tear and it took 3 month before I was comfortable rolling hard. If Tony's is genuinely a grade 3 (full rupture) it'll be 9 months before he is training. And I wouldn't fancy playing rubber guard for a while.
    Axwell wrote: »
    He will be doing Ramadan in the middle of May for a month, that brings him up to Eid the middle of June (15th). Hes gonna want a few weeks to get back to normal after that so lets say a month to 6 weeks between getting back to normal and taking a break for a few weeks. That's now August then straight into an 8 week camp and it would be October at the earliest before he would be fighting. Taking all that into consideration November isnt that big a deal.
    What do you mean by get back to normal? That's what the fight camp is for, to get back to fighting fit. Ramadan is not easy I'd guess, but he's not going to shrivel up. Certainly doesn't need 14 weeks.
    The Johnson fight was months after Ramadan. But he fought Pat Healy less than 7 weeks afterwards.
    He even fought during Ramadan pre-UFC.

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    They always just say someone else is champion. Someone mentioned earlier on here that if they strip him, he could possibly get out of contract. Can anyone expand on that? 
    It was suggested, it was completely untrue.
    Being stripped has no effect on contract. He still has 4 fights left for the UFC (or 3 if Mayweather counted, but I'd imagine it was separate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Do people think that people starve themselves during Ramadan?

They absolutely gorge themselves when the sun sets, think of it as a month long intermittent fasting routine. There's no caloric deficit over the 24 hour period for the month it lasts. It's a huge early breakfast and a gigantic late dinner. Wouldn't be ideal for training, but he's not going to be in a fight camp, so it won't really matter. The second the month is over, he's back to normal training. He could easily fight by the middle of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

They always just say someone else is champion. Someone mentioned earlier on here that if they strip him, he could possibly get out of contract. Can anyone expand on that? 
    It was suggested, it was completely untrue.
    Being stripped has no effect on contract. He still has 4 fights left for the UFC (or 3 if Mayweather counted, but I'd imagine it was separate).

tks, Wonder why they never announce he is "stripped" then? good manners or more just good business...
    Interesting tho why conor just does not fight out his contract then he would have a lot of power, assuming the last few fights does not damage his value. Or do the UFC still have some hold of the fighter after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think the UFC are lining up Khabib v McGrgeor in Russia for around September. No chance they are going to have a UFC event there and not have their Russian champion defend his belt on that card. Also, Kavanagh tweeted this earlier:

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/982951318502428673

Anyway, here's an interview with Khabib saying that Artem almost cried when he confronted him (jump to 3m22s):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

miocicmma wrote: »
    Bottom line is. If McGregor wants to be Lightweight champion he is going to have to fight Khabib. And I don't think he can beat Khabib, Especially with McGregor's ring rust from being 2 years out of the sport, his stamina issues and his lack of wrestling ability.

I'd like to see Mcgregor work his way back up, Maybe fight Diaz early 2019, possibly in London and then Khabib in Russia towards the end of next year.
    that silly, he has great defensive wrestling, hes not a wrestler hes a striker. each round will start from a standing position. Khabib isnt finishing guys with his wrestling, Conor can defend the takedowns or weather the storm until he gets another chance at KO'ing him when they're back on their feet

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do people think that people starve themselves during Ramadan?

They absolutely gorge themselves when the sun sets, think of it as a month long intermittent fasting routine. There's no caloric deficit over the 24 hour period for the month it lasts.

Pretty much. There's athletes out here that eat like that all the time any way.
    The only issue is that he won't train during Ramadan. A month off to recover is hardly a bid deal.

He'll fight on UFC 228 in September. Nothing to do with Ramadan, purely down to Moscow
    tks, Wonder why they never announce he is "stripped" then? good manners or more just good business...
    Interesting tho why conor just does not fight out his contract then he would have a lot of power, assuming the last few fights does not damage his value. Or do the UFC still have some hold of the fighter after that?

He only has power if there is an alternative, then isn't imo. Maybe if he was having one last fight, he could cash in Mayweather style on a tentpole sham fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

think you are reading too much into that. I just watched khabib's post fight interview
    http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/khabib-nurmagomedov-to-conor-mcgregor-ufc-223-win-beg-for-title-shot. 
    I think he is open for a fight with anyone, at least that's how it comes across. He also says anytime, but that is not true cos he has ramadan which he does not fight around. But september/november time would not be affected by ramadan. He also says that conor has to "beg me" which I think is just show. GSP isn't much of a shout out either, when Khabib says himself he does not have to return and that he admits GSP has no reason to return. Also, GSP according to Ariel says khabib has unfinished business 

So it looks like it will be conor v khabib in Sept/Nov IMO at given what we have so far, assuming conor's court appearance does not jeoradise that. where will it be vegas IMO. there is also the money issue the 2 wil have to agree...

A pity conor did what he did tho. I will definitley support him less. It just was not necessary. I liked that interview with Khabib. I liked how he was a bit humble and how he said he did not want to let being a champion change him. He even went onto say that might be more about how people change around him. 

why did conor do the bus melee? 
    1/loyalty to Artem
    2/raise his(and his and Khabib's) profile
    3/get suspended/get out of contract     

I think it was all 3 above, but I am sure 1/ was the most important reason I am not sure. he's a complicated game. 

On 1/ what a loyal friend. But even Artem probably thinks he went too far judging by his face when he saw the dolly hit the window.  

On 2/ UFC are milking it and will continue to milk the bus episode if they do promote the fight.Result will be more money.
    Conor may turn alot of people against him that were for him but overall I think there wll be an overall net increase, which will mean more Money/PPVs 

On 3/ tho. Why have the UFC never stripped Conor? I mean actually come out and stripped him? They always just say someone else is champion. Someone mentioned earlier on here that if they strip him, he could possibly get out of contract. Can anyone expand on that? 

I wonder what the conversation was like before they landed in New York. Did conor say, he would look after any legal ramifications/costs for them? Or are his minions not that clever to even have that discussed? Or is it just an unwriiten rule in the pack? Or maybe this attack did go too far. But interesting of the videos I saw of the event the interesting quotes for me that I heard conor say was "Chill" before they went down the lift, "Smash the glass" just before cian crowley broke the front windscreen, "lets get out of here" and "woo-hoo" after the damage was done. He does not sound intosicated in all them bits at least and the Police mugshot records corelates/corroborate with that. maybe all this is just aother reason why JK gave him the notorious name. By the way I am interested to know what JK has to say on the matter. Whatever he says publically, privately he must think it is absolutley too far. reminds me of how fergusson used to publicly always defend his players, but what he said privately would have been interesting. Did anyone see Romeros comments on the event he was more of the opinion that we should try and help conor so that he does not do this again. I know some will say he is beyond that. maybe there is a philisophical question there about correction/rehabilitation. Or how do you help people know they were wrong. You can only do so much. You can bring a horse to water but you an't make them drink it. I think conor knows what he did is wrong. In the heat of the moment I am niot sure. He may just not really care and the fact that he has more money in the bank that level of not caring has risen, cos now he has some money to make the consequences go away. crazy/sad world.        

Also, does anyone know who it was trying to throw the fence at the bus pretty sure that was not conor? 

wow that turned into a bit of a brain dump :)

Welcome back Wonderfullife, missed you mate, hope all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Who do people think is Khabib's best win ?
    Would it be Barboza , who loses anytime he fights a top guy ?
    I'm iust saying Khabib just isn't as impressive as everyone thinks ,
    Ye he can out wrestle Conor but he never really fought anyone who can punch ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Who do people think is Khabib's best win ?

The Michael Johnson win was one of the most dominant performances I've seen in recent years.

But Johnson loses half of his fights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement