Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Who do people think is Khabib's best win ?

The Michael Johnson win was one of the most dominant performances I've seen in recent years.

But Johnson loses half of his fights.
    I think since it was so long ago people totally forget about the Eddie fight, Conor showed in the that fight he is light years ahead of almost everyone at lightweight in striking, he made Eddie look like he'd never boxed in his life no one has ever made him look so bad,
    Eddie ,Al, Johnson they aren't eve nclose to how good Conor is with his hands, it almost like a different sport
    Yes he can get taken down but he can no doubt  ko Khabib ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Just back from weekend away... What did I miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just back from weekend away... What did I miss?

Nothing really. McGregor was a disgrace and going to be fired and sent to jail and not be allowed into America again but everyone calmed down and now "its cool" between himself and Dana and they're already planning Khabib vs Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Happier times.

khabib.jpg

• Advertisement

The Michael Johnson win was one of the most dominant performances I've seen in recent years.

Johnson had some striking success early...he kept it on the feet for about half the 1st round and had Khabib wobbled at one point.

He sprawled well and wriggled out of a few td attempts early in the second round also.

From there on...yeah, he had nothing else, got totally beat up and could do nothing once he got put on his back. It was a dominant performance on the ground. But a "most dominant performance ever" is dominant start to finish imo.

And Johnson had him rocked from very primitive, wild striking. He was lunging in & also throwing wild haymakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z77i82Vw9as

This is absolutely hilarious - some great commentary on the state of Ireland by Skip. His pronunciation of Khabib's surname is similarly a hoot.

Johnson had some striking success early...he kept it on the feet for about half the 1st round and had Khabib wobbled at one point.

He sprawled well and wriggled out of a few td attempts early in the second round also.

From there on...yeah, he had nothing else, got totally beat up and could do nothing once he got put on his back. It was a dominant performance on the ground. But a "most dominant performance ever" is dominant start to finish imo.

And Johnson had him rocked from very primitive, wild striking. He was lunging in & also throwing wild haymakers.

Must rewatch it. Don't remember the first round tbh, will check it out.

Yeah Khabib certainly hasn't been tested on his feet by a great striker from what I've seen. Would be an interesting fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This is absolutely hilarious - some great commentary on the state of Ireland by Skip. His pronunciation of Khabib's surname is similarly a hoot.

That chap is an absolute clown, anyone that watches NFL will tell you he's like an even more clueless, even more say-anything-controversial-for-attention, hack than Eamon Dunphy. A lot more. I would give examples but they're just too ridiculous to explain in detail. A quick one for anyone that does watch the sport, he spent years trying to claim with a straight face that Tim Tebow was better than Aaron Rodgers... let that sink in.

Basically, I wouldn't watch that because I'm not interested in people saying things that they don't believe as a desperate "look at me, look at me, look at me!!" attempt.

Not intended to be snarky at you by the way :) , the guy is just a clown of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Must rewatch it. Don't remember the first round tbh, will check it out.

Yeah Khabib certainly hasn't been tested on his feet by a great striker from what I've seen. Would be an interesting fight.

Without Rogans over the top commentary khabib isnt fazed at all by Johnson when hes suppose to be "wobbled". Its up on the ufc youtube take a look, great fight. Some of the moved khabib uses to tie him up are quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

ASOT wrote: »
    Without Rogans over the top commentary khabib isnt fazed at all by Johnson when hes suppose to be "wobbled". Its up on the ufc youtube take a look, great fight. Some of the moved khabib uses to tie him up are quality.

I watched it the other morning, can't remember what or who commentated.

It stung,maybe threw off balance, but don't think it wobbled.

Conor came up poor and on food stamps :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Conor's popularity etc is a secondary issue here, I'm pretty sure what most fans, former fans, or currently questioning fans are worried about now is whether we'll ever get to see him in the Octagon again. Dana is absolutely furious and in the ESPN interview notice he kept referring to Conor in the past tense, and talking about how they were working on a deal for him etc... It feels like he's burned his bridges with the UFC over this incident to at least some extent. My honest gut feeling is that things just won't be the same ever again as far as his fighting career goes. He won't be able to command the same respect - not from other fighters, not from Dana, not from the press, and potentially not from the public - which fuels the hype train. Charisma only works if people like you, basically, and if every interaction he has from now on with the UFC, his fellow fighters and the media is a genuinely hostile one as opposed to a taking-the-piss hostile one, then the juggernaut is over. He might fight, he win fights, but if the aforementioned entities turn against him in terms of sentiment, it's all going to feel very hollow from now on.

I hope this blows over, just going by the interviews with Dana and the statements from the likes of Karolina (who was clearly a bit of a fan before this)... It just doesn't look good. It feels like if he returns, the UFC (and the people in it) just won't be as inviting a place for him now. And if that's the case, given that he thrives on publicity, I can't help wondering if it'll demotivate him.

Love to be proven wrong on this, but that's my take. :(

At the end of the day all Dana cares about is the dollars. Assuming it goes ok in court he will be back for a title fight against khabib.

All along id say over 50% of the ppv buys where the haters who wanted to see him lose. Like him or hate him the man puts bums on seats.

I don't think any of the lightweights could touch him.. khabib included. The only reason nate beat him the first time was connor made the mistake of throwing everything he had at a chin made of granite.

As for his support and Ireland having an unhealthy relation ship with sport will continue to follow him to end of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

So, like many probably, spent too much time thinking on Conor's actions last week. Discounting the moral scrutiny of the situation (btw, which I'm personally clear on), who exactly isn't hitting pay dirt on the back end of this?

Interesting consideration. Everyone from journo's/news outlets/legal/fighters/employees/UFC/Conor (even with lapsed sponsorships and the legal hit) will ultimately make money. I hope he's covering Cowley's expenses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

So, like many probably, spent too much time thinking on Conor's actions last week. Discounting the moral scrutiny of the situation (btw, which I'm personally clear on), who exactly isn't hitting pay dirt on the back end of this?

Interesting consideration. Everyone from journo's/news outlets/legal/fighters/employees/UFC/Conor (even with lapsed sponsorships and the legal hit) will ultimately make money. I hope he's covering Cowley's expenses!

Everyone makes money on it ( conor possible lawsuits aside)

I think the only negative could be the damage to mma and the barbaric, only thugs take part brigade having that reinforced.

Sweet F all happened to them after the Diaz clash, same thing with the Goddard/Bellator Official incident, punching some drug dealers dad in the face. Why would anything happen now?

No one is even talking about it anymore, it is like it has become normal acceptable behaviour for him and his goons to do this type of thing. Even Tony McGregor "It's in our DNA"

This behaviour will only continue until he faces serious consequences for his actions, but he won’t because he has the potential to make people too much money and surrounds himself by people who depend on him to live and are “yes” men.

He has plenty of cash and 2 young babies to be looking after. Out of anyone I feel bad for Dee, hopefully she has enough sense to ditch him soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Sweet F all happened to them after the Diaz clash, same thing with the Goddard/Bellator Official incident, punching some drug dealers dad in the face. Why would anything happen now?

No one is even talking about it anymore, it is like it has become normal acceptable behaviour for him and his goons to do this type of thing. Even Tony McGregor "It's in our DNA"

This behaviour will only continue until he faces serious consequences for his actions, but he won’t because he has the potential to make people too much money and surrounds himself by people who depend on him to live and are “yes” men.

He has plenty of cash and 2 young babies to be looking after. Out of anyone I feel bad for Dee, hopefully she has enough sense to ditch him soon enough

2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

2?

2 is conservative. Conor has babies all over Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lukker- wrote: »
    2?

2 is conservative. Conor has babies all over Instagram
    3 isn't it ,If stories are to be believed ,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's a case of are the owners happy enough with the profits without conor or do they want conor profit.

It's a moral question really. They can choose conor and endorse his behaviour by giving him his percentage of ppv or they can tell him to f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2?

Conor Jr
    Artem?

It's a case of are the owners happy enough with the profits without conor or do they want conor profit.

It's a moral question really. They can choose conor and endorse his behaviour by giving him his percentage of ppv or they can tell him to f**k off.

Ari Emanuel will want to see most of that 4 billion back so you can guarantee nothing will happen to Conor from their end. Dana is nothing more than a puppet these days. He can denounce Conors actions all he likes, the brass at the top are calling the shots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ari Emanuel will want to see most of that 4 billion back so you can guarantee nothing will happen to Conor from their end. Dana is nothing more than a puppet these days. He can denounce Conors actions all he likes, the brass at the top are calling the shots

Honestly I don't think Dana would cut ties permanently ever. They seem to have an actual relationship that goes beyond the UFC. Ari probably hates Conor but he knows he's tied to him because he wants to recoup that 4 billy

Nah. Its all calmed down now. Like it or not, Conor flying over and smashing the place up is good for the sport, good for him (and her) and good for the reputation of MMA.

Its been the same in the fight game for over 100 years. Jack Johnson played on the dating white women and beating white boxers thing. Dozens of black people were lynched after he beat Jim Jeffries. He still fought white boxers only.

Sugar Ray Robinson was a wife beater, Ali was a racist, Foreman was a women beater, Mayweather a women beater, Sonny Liston was a full on criminal, Tyson was a rapist, Jon Jones did a hit and run on a pregnant women, B.J. Penn has a sexual assault case hanging over him, Overeem assaulted a woman, Alexander Gustafsson did 18 months in jail, Tito Ortiz beat up Jenna Jameson, nearly ever single top UFC guy has been busted for steroids....

Punters don't want to see nice people fight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

thebull85 wrote: »

I'm not saying he isn't but that article is very......odd

Nah. Its all calmed down now. Like it or not, Conor flying over and smashing the place up is good for the sport, good for him (and her) and good for the reputation of MMA.

Its been the same in the fight game for over 100 years. Jack Johnson played on the dating white women and beating white boxers thing. Dozens of black people were lynched after he beat Jim Jeffries. He still fought white boxers only.

Sugar Ray Robinson was a wife beater, Ali was a racist, Foreman was a women beater, Mayweather a women beater, Sonny Liston was a full on criminal, Tyson was a rapist, Jon Jones did a hit and run on a pregnant women, B.J. Penn has a sexual assault case hanging over him, Overeem assaulted a woman, Alexander Gustafsson did 18 months in jail, Tito Ortiz beat up Jenna Jameson, nearly ever single top UFC guy has been busted for steroids....

Punters don't want to see nice people fight.

You forgot Anthony Joshua was a drug dealer too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

thebull85 wrote: »
    One of McGregor’s entourage confirmed he was staying there and said that he was sleeping in until lunchtime.

Lol wtf kinda news is that?

You forgot Anthony Joshua was a drug dealer too

Sure. I could've written another 10 paragraphs of names. It doesn't happen in any other sport. Where people hand over hard cash to see and cheer on thugs and criminals.

Imagine if Jose Mourinho went out this summer and signed 3 or 4 wife beaters and a rapist?

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Lol wtf kinda news is that?

"I heard he was being rowdy last night" :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement