Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dave1982 wrote: »
    haha Conor posting family photo on his twitter

Why is that even funny??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cryptocurrency fluctuates.

Once you hand someone a stack of cash, they have it.

Is that a joke?

ardinn wrote: »

Not that interesting. He's utterly boring. Maybe after he wins wins his first fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,471 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »
    Nah. Its all calmed down now. Like it or not, Conor flying over and smashing the place up is good for the sport, good for him (and her) and good for the reputation of MMA.

Its been the same in the fight game for over 100 years. Jack Johnson played on the dating white women and beating white boxers thing. Dozens of black people were lynched after he beat Jim Jeffries. He still fought white boxers only.

Sugar Ray Robinson was a wife beater, Ali was a racist, Foreman was a women beater, Mayweather a women beater, Sonny Liston was a full on criminal, Tyson was a rapist, Jon Jones did a hit and run on a pregnant women, B.J. Penn has a sexual assault case hanging over him, Overeem assaulted a woman, Alexander Gustafsson did 18 months in jail, Tito Ortiz beat up Jenna Jameson, nearly ever single top UFC guy has been busted for steroids....

Punters don't want to see nice people fight.

In a nutshell the fight game brings with it many highly strung men. It's almost a prerequisite to being part of it. You need a certain level of energy and aggression that you won't find in the general population, or in so many other sports. Its objective is to be violent and physical with other human beings.

Conor's actions, although thuggish, are in the ha'penny place compared to many other examples...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

NY based lawyer on the last word last evening and was quite interesting. Basically thinks that with any bit of a decent lawyer that this thing goes away pretty easily, pay for all the damage that was done and compensate those for their loss of earnings. Says even civil suits wont cost very much as the injuries were not severe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Effects wrote: »
    Is that a joke?

It does though, doesn't it? Admittedly, I'm a touch ignorant to how it works, but value does change, and often sharply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Dave0301

NY based lawyer on the last word last evening and was quite interesting. Basically thinks that with any bit of a decent lawyer that this thing goes away pretty easily, pay for all the damage that was done and compensate those for their loss of earnings. Says even civil suits wont cost very much as the injuries were not severe.

I won't be surprised if this is the way that it goes down. Having money helps immensely when dealing with the US legal system.

What will be more interesting to see, is how he is treated by other fighters after this. They usually found him abrasive, but tolerable, but I think he has used up all their good will, and his antics at his next press conference or media day won't be taken as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Cheisa should demand Conor fights him, he'd make more money that way than by suing him :)

In America celebrities are always getting arrested, trashing hotel rooms, assaulting paparazzi etc. You rarely hear of any of them doing hard time. He will get fined, community service, have some kind of suspension from the athletic commission, civil lawsuits etc. There will be some pressure on the commissions to be strict - "we fined him last time and it had no effect". He'll come back bigger than ever. End of the day he generates a lot of money for influential people.

Dana will be of two minds about it because on the one hand UFC 223 was boosted hugely and Conor himself will come back bigger than ever. On the other hand it's going to be headache from a timing perspective, they'll need to see how it plays out (especially commission suspensions) before booking him again. Apparently they had some solid plans for Conor in the works and they were going to be announced last weekend.

Maybe they try to squeeze a fight in real quick before any suspensions get thrown down but I doubt it.

What he did was scumbaggery but in the grand scheme of things it's not like he's Hitler. He threw a cart, damaged a bus and one guy got a tiny cut. Another guy got some grit in his eye and was in and out of hospital in like 20 mins. Tyson raped somebody and his first fight out of prison set PPV records.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭pgj2015

owen roddy should sue this ali guy for saying he threw the bin at the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

pgj2015 wrote: »
    owen roddy should sue this ali guy for saying he threw the bin at the bus.

As stated above, that's not what happened.

Maybe Ali should sue you for saying that he said that Roddy threw it etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭pgj2015

As stated above, that's not what happened.

Maybe Ali should sue you for saying that he said that Roddy threw it etc etc etc

he clearly says owen roddy threw the bin at the bus, even though ariel tried to correct him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if this is the way that it goes down. Having money helps immensely when dealing with the US legal system.

What will be more interesting to see, is how he is treated by other fighters after this. They usually found him abrasive, but tolerable, but I think he has used up all their good will, and his antics at his next press conference or media day won't be taken as well.

And that's a bad thing? who wants to see fighters shaking hands after a faceoff .....it's boring and most of the roster do it........McGregor brings the xfactor always has and that's what makes him box office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

John_D80 wrote: »
    Why is that even funny??

Thursday Screen-Shot-2018-04-0d7-at-095650.jpg

Friday ?width=630&version=3946036

Tuesday DaY1mvoVMAES1U6.jpg:large

Butter wouldn't melt

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

^ and we chilled on Sunday

craig1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mellor wrote: »
    ....in this case the blame lies solely elsewhere.

You're acting as if Ariel told him that Owen was the kickboxing coach, he didn't. It wasn't until Ali said 'Striking coach' that Ariel responded with "No, NOT Owen Roddy".

Here's exactly what was said (starting from 3:17:37):
    Ali: His kickboxing coach, what's his name?
    Ariel: I don't know his name.
    Ali: Striking coach, what's his name?
    Ariel: Not Owen Roddy..
    Ali: Owen Roddy!
    Ariel: No, he wasn't there.
    Ali: 100% he was there.
    Ariel: No way.
    Ali: He was there!
    Ariel: He wasn't.
    Ali: Owen Roddy was there.
    Ariel: I think it's someone who looks like Owen Roddy?
    Ali: I am telling you Owen Roddy was there.
    Ariel: Okay, alright.. (sarcastic).
    Ali: He was there!
    Ariel: I'll have a look to see if he was there but I don't think he was there.
    Ali: That's who I saw first, that's how I knew it was Conor. He threw a trash can at the side of the bus. Three trash cans were thrown, one from Owen Roddy.
    Ariel: Owen, are you sure? He just doesn't strike me as the kinda guy to come over..
    Ali: I don't know him, why would I just accuse him?

Not sure how you can blame Ariel for this chap not listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dave1982 wrote: »
    Thursday Screen-Shot-2018-04-0d7-at-095650.jpg

Friday ?width=630&version=3946036

Tuesday DaY1mvoVMAES1U6.jpg:large

Butter wouldn't melt

What is even your point here??

He posts a picture of himself with his partner and child and there is something funny about it??

So now because someone acts like a tool they can’t post family pics to their social media pages??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Listened to a Dana interview there and he says Conor fully justified what he did he said it had to be done. Only thing wrong with conor was Dana accusing him of taking drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

On a positive note - I just looked at rondas wrestlemania debut - She looks Hot af!!

Ugh.. Really? She looks a bit lile Chloe Moritz to me, not a fan of her either.

Listened to a Dana interview there and he says Conor fully justified what he did he said it had to be done. Only thing wrong with conor was Dana accusing him of taking drugs

At what point did Dana "accuse" him of being on drugs?

• Advertisement

He didn't. I'm repeat what Dana said in the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On a positive note - I just looked at rondas wrestlemania debut - She looks Hot af!!

God no. The oul granny knickers don't do it for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

He didn't. I'm repeat what Dana said in the interview

He insinuated it while in the heat of the moment after the incident, " I don't know if he is on drugs or what..."

Clearly Dana knows of the rumours of Conor and his enjoyment of some extra curriculars and I am sure he said this as a dig in the immediate aftermath of the Barclay's centre incident.

He insinuated it while in the heat of the moment after the incident, " I don't know if he is on drugs or what..."

Clearly Dana knows of the rumours of Conor and his enjoyment of some extra curriculars and I am sure he said this as a dig in the immediate aftermath of the Barclay's centre incident.

Ye are misunderstanding me, sorry. Dana says conor was mad with Dana saying he accused him of taking drugs, Dana says he didn't. Which he didn't

Dana in one of the early post-incident interviews said something along the lines of "i don't know if he's on drugs or what" in attempt to understand Conor's behaviour. More a common expression of disbelief at how someone is acting rather than genuine accusation.

Anyway Conor was apparently furious .... probably because there is some truth to it.

https://youtu.be/KjBGMAE7GBU?t=5m12s

That's possibly a stretch. If someone does something outlandish, particularly in America, "are you high?" or "are you on drugs?" would be common enough sayings. Not clear cut that Dana referencing him getting up to all sorts in tree houses.

Dana in one of the early post-incident interviews said something along the lines of "i don't know if he's on drugs or what" in attempt to understand Conor's behaviour. More a common expression of disbelief at how someone is acting rather than genuine accusation.

Anyway Conor was apparently furious .... probably because there is some truth to it.

https://youtu.be/KjBGMAE7GBU?t=5m12s

Yeah, I was aware of that statement. Was wondering how or when that transformed into "Dana accused him of being on drugs"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

'Conor was mad with Dana' pmsl here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

"how dare Dana White insinuate my behaviour was comparable to that of a person who has lost the run of themselves after a coke binge"
    -Conor McGregor, hours after he and a band of goons stormed an underground car park and threw a 25kg lump of metal through a bus window.

• Advertisement

It does though, doesn't it? Admittedly, I'm a touch ignorant to how it works, but value does change, and often sharply?

It's like saying the price of beef fluctuates, and that's why you can't pay your bail in burgers, only cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement