Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby names-CSO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

3 of me in the year I was born.

None since.

I'm special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

My name comes up zero every year since 1973 :-(

And I'm guessing I was the only one that year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

368 babies were born with my name in the year of my birth and there were only 22 babies born with my name in 2016.

Michelle, I take it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m surprised that my first name was number 4 in popularity the year I was born. Since then it’s become much less popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Four people were given my (very unusual) name the year the I was born. And none since. And none before. On the diagram anyway. Can't give much away, but the name would have featured a bit on the Irish news the year I was born, hence the naming of a few baby girls with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What no Borts?

No licence plates so what's the point in the name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The decline of Mary is quite spectacular.

There have been little change in the last six years. I'm surprised there aren't more Irish names like Siofra and Aodh. I like the names Rose, Faye, Sam (boy) and Finn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Sons name in 2016 not there. Means it less than 3. Wahoo
    Same with my daughters name in 2012, the year she was bornsmile.png It's not even an outlandish name, more so a very old fashioned Irish name.

My daughters name was one of 3 in 2015 when she was born. There was a peak of 4 in 1979 and 3 in 2007. It doesn't feature any other years. While it's unusual, it's not a mad name at all, it happened to be a family name on both sides, although it is french in origin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I've always longed to be called something vaguely different or exotic but not too outlandish, like a Cordelia, or a Camilla or Cassandra. I never understand it when people give their children really dull names that are incredibly commonplace. No need to go calling them apple but something slightly unusual is surely a reflection of how you think they are a unique little person to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

spurious wrote: »
    The decline of Mary is quite spectacular.

Ann, Margaret and Teresa too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

210 babies born with my name in 1978. 5 were born in 2010, but aside from that year none from 2008-2016. It's a seasonal name so I guess more people are calling their kids Turkey or Pudding these days.

No Jaydens before 2002, 125 born last year. Starting to see them come through in first year in school now. 142 Kaydens born last year. 22 Aryas in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I was one of fourteen in my year of birth. Three births in 2015, none in 2016. It never really became popular in Ireland, it's an unusual name. I used to hate that when I was little, but I quite like it now. It suits me if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Michelle, I take it?

Bingo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

230 with my first name the year I was born, 5 last year. Can't say I'm surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My partner was ranked 120 (37 Babies with that name).
    Mine: none
    My son: none (he wasn't born in Ireland, neither was I)
    Daughter: ranked 288 (16 babies with that name). She has one of the names with a spectacular decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Looks like Setanta started getting popular in 2003, with a hefty 8 being named in 2008.
    No Ragnars, though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I hit the dizzying heights of 31st most popular name in 1982 but it's been downhill since then. A shocking 90th in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kids born in 2016 have had a 95% drop in numbers with my name since I was born:(

So are you declining like me or newly popular?

95% drop in my name since the year I was born too.

They don't make mes like they used to.

There were three with my name in 2004 and four in 2010, none any other year.

I'm usually called one of two contractions of my name, one has been popular since the late 90's, peaking in 2004 at 28 and down to 11 by 2016. The other has climbed from 4 in 1994 to 20 last year.

None of any the year I was born, but then I wasn't born in Ireland. :)

I had no idea that my name is that unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Born in 1970, no. 3 with nearly 900 births.

This year no 176 with 31.

Damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Just looking at the name 'Noah'. Not one single child by that name in 1995 and then it really took off in popularity. Anyone know why that was?

Home and away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just looking at the name 'Noah'. Not one single child by that name in 1995 and then it really took off in popularity. Anyone know why that was?

More and more rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

159 in the year I was born.

My son was born last year and named after me. Only 7 with the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

2016- 3 Babies - 713th
    1980- 122 babies -77th

High - 1977 -136- 66th
    Low - 2016 - 3 - 713th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 TheWarmNights

133 registered with my name in 1993.
    18 in 2016.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

5 people registered with my name the year I was born (1988), then it peaked to 10 in '89 & '90 and then it's declined again. Some years there are none. :(

I love my name though. It's pretty rare and exotic. I know one other person with it. And her boyfriend has the same name as my fiancé which is quite bizarre. It's a funny ol' world!

My partner's name was ranked 11th of all boys names in the year he was born. 687 births registered with his name that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Contessa it is <3 rather than 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Contessa it is <3 rather than 0

So it is! :o

Also, I read the <3 as a heart before realising you meant less than 3. Hahaha! Was very confused! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

5 girls on the list in 2016 with the name Precious. Another 5 called River. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was number 1, common as muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My sons name peaked in 1979 with 180 babies with that name. Only 5 in 2014 the year he was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Only 4 babies with my name this year.
    Almost 500 the year I was born.
    In the unlikely event of me ever having a baby girl I have two names picked that I've never told anyone. Neither of them were registered this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I ranked 38 in the year I was born and 238 something something......didnt concentrate much :/
    Considering that the ma thought I was and was hoping for a boy she could call John I think I did very well.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The little certificate thing is nice.

My name has declined by about 75% since I was born but it's still popular.

My kids names are still relatively uncommon but not rare enough to suggest I'm pretentious, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Ipso wrote: »
    Looks like Setanta started getting popular in 2003, with a hefty 8 being named in 2008.
    I wonder if any of the 8 know how to pronounce it correctly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Conor, Sean and Oisin still in the top 10 boys names though!

Yes! Top 10 bitches! I made it!

Although I don't count Seán. That's another one of those mispronounced biblical names if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

This is odd. My name was registered to 93 people in the year I was born. I went to university in dcu and there were 17 girls in my class. 3 of us had the same name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mine has stayed fairly regular. There was a dip around 2000 or so when I assume the Tiger caused pretentious Irish names to surge and knock the old faithfuls off. It has recovered since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Ipso wrote: »
    No Ragnars, though.

2003 was the year Setanta Ó hAilpín was scoring loads of goals for the Cork hurlers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

1998 had 3 of my name, every other year too few to register. A rare gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Home and away.

There was also a rise in popularity in Australia, up to no.2 now for boys.
    I'd have fierce trouble taking anyone named Noah, or their parents, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

thee glitz wrote: »
    There was also a rise in popularity in Australia, up to no.2 now for boys.
    I'd have fierce trouble taking anyone named Noah, or their parents, seriously.

I'd be the same.

A girl a few doors down from where i grew up called her eldest son Noah, we all looked at her funny when she told us.

This was around 14/15 years ago.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've steadily declined in popularity over 50 years...

In other news we've followed the UK in not having a single Nigel in 2016 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

22 Aryas in 2016.

And 6 Khaleesi in 2014. It's not even a name in a fictional universe.

Some people must hate their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My name has declined very slightly. Was in the top 10 the year I was born, now in the top 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

My name not on the graph since 2009. Another name I love hasn’t been on the graph since 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

When I was born I had the 21st most common name - now I'm in the mid 200's.

A dying breed, us squarepants:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Might have accounted for some of the Noahs in the mid to late 90's:

517CgRXxxtL._SX298_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg51vDRJA4DkL._SX370_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Or the fact that people pick their own version of an "Irish" name. Have a look at some of the threads on the pregnancy or parenting forums, you'll see people posting various spellings of names they like. Take "Maeve" for example, you'll get people spelling it Méadbh, Médbh, Meadhbh, Medb etc. Personally, I don't like names that are too Irish - ie Maeve is grand, but all the other spellings are OTT and don't travel well. I wouldn't fancy having to spell my name for most of my life.

My name can be spelled 3 different ways, mine is not as popular so I end up having to correct people a lot. Half the time I don't bother unless it's for email.

Fair enough but there is definitely a lot less Irish names there than even 10 years ago.

But I can see what you mean but if every person in whatever nation starts to dumb down or even discard their own native names for something they perceive as more 'international' the world will lose a lot of names thus, ironically, a lot of diversity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement