Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alleged Throttling of Older iPhones With Degraded Batteries

Options
  • 12-12-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

This is an interesting one.

MacRumour Link

I can see the mentality behind Apple throttling phones to keep older batteries going - If anything I was wondering if that's contributing to my own iPhone 6 grinding to a halt.

I downloaded cpudasherx and its reporting that the 1.8ghz cpu in my phone is only running at 600mhz, even under load it doesn't budge.

My battery is probably in need of a replacement anyway (been recharged 600+ times by now)

A little off topic - is it worth sending off the phone to Apple to get the battery changed for €90+ or do decent phone shops do as good a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Coincidentally I got my battery replaced under warranty in my 6S last week. Its performance is now stellar on iOS 11.1.2 - as good as the day it was bought over 2 years ago - compared to the sluggish performance it had before the repair.

So using my anecdotal evidence, this story is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Aggh - thanks for the heads up - it seems its true - my phone has been dreadfully slow since I installed IOS 11 - I put it down to OS bloat.

I just checked the CPU speed (Geekbench 4) and yes its throttling back.
    Battery lasts over a day - but speed is so slow.

Just off support to Apple and they say they will replace the battery free under warranty (I bought the phone maybe 2 years ago) - they didnt acknowledge it could cause slowness but did say the battery was faulty and could cause random shutdowns.

“Roll it back”

So... CPU was 600Mhz (full power) and 600Mhz (in low power mode)

battery replaced

now says CPU 1800Mhz (full power) and 900Mhz (in low power mode)

The "Low power mode" option we all know is cool - but I'm not ok with this hidden, permanent, even lower power mode.
    That's some sneaky trick I must say
    - Personally I would like the advertised speed rather than secretly throttle the cpu to hide the fact the battery is faulty.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Thanks for the update Ozmo. You've made my decision easier to get the battery replaced in my phone asap.

Did you go to compub for the official apple replacement or did you go apple direct - as that replacement was very quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Just after getting the battery changed in a fairly popular third party shop around here - CPUdasherX immediately detected the processor going full whack at 1.4GHZ and switching between apps is as smooth as silk.

There's obviously method to the madness here. Best €40 spent in a while - considering the cost of a replacement phone as good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

ozmo wrote: »
    So... CPU was 600Mhz (full power) and 600Mhz (in low power mode)

battery replaced

now says CPU 1800Mhz (full power) and 900Mhz (in low power mode)

The "Low power mode" option we all know is cool - but I'm not ok with this hidden, permanent, even lower power mode.
    That's some sneaky trick I must say
    - Personally I would like the advertised speed rather than secretly throttle the cpu to hide the fact the battery is faulty.

Yes, they should expose this in the settings. Its a good feature but shouldnt be hidden. Pretty much the settings are largely for advanced users anyway.

FGR wrote: »
    There's obviously method to the madness here. Best €40 spent in a while - considering the cost of a replacement phone as good.

40 is very good- I went to Mactivate - official IPhone repair in Blanchardstown- would have cost me I think 110 euros... job took about an hour while I waited.
    I had go to an official Apple repair because Apple was paying for it as my 6s was covered under some battery recall that’s happening now.

I would just buy the battery and do it myself if I needed to again.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

faceman wrote: »

Why not just tell you the battery needs replacing and allow repair shops to purchase genuine batteries.

They really need a long overdue kick in the nuts from consumer protection agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Why not just tell you the battery needs replacing and allow repair shops to purchase genuine batteries.

If they tell you the battery needs replacing, you will have the usual people money saying it's a lie, the battery is fine, and Apple are just trying to make more money out of them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because then people won't spend €1,200 on a new phone that offers very little in the way of a functionality upgrade.

The Apple business model has always been about selling new product. In the US they've even tried to use the courts to have it declared illegal for "unlicenced" business and individuals to repair phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

BDJW wrote: »
    If they tell you the battery needs replacing, you will have the usual people money saying it's a lie
    But at least it would be the truth, and not Apple hiding the issue. This is on Apple trying to get people to upgrade (make more money).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the issue here is that Apple didn't know for sure which models would be affected in future. They could have done a recall of all 6s models but that would have been overkill for an issue that wasn't affecting everyone yet. Obviously, as the expansion of this throttling behaviour as revealed, there's a lot of people running batteries that need replacement, so maybe Apple will introduce a warning that tells you when you need a new battery. I reckon third party replacement batteries (actually rejuvenated OEM batteries or fakes) will probably exhibit this as well, which Apple may not have anticipated.

Apple selling OEM batteries to third party repair shops isn't really a solution either unless they are prepared to do it at a massive loss. These shops buy these batteries on Ebay or from Chinese sellers for a few euro each and then charge 40+ euro for 10 minutes work. I can't see shops sacrificing all that profit. Even if they charged more and people were prepared to pay it, there's so many fakes out there how would you know you are getting an OEM part?

I've no problem paying Apple's battery replacement fee. I just wish I didn't have to send the phone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well there all fakes at the moment, it's wrong that you can't buy a replacement battery no matter what way you try and justify the reasoning by blaming retailers etc.
    If the chap in China can make a fake for penny's making apples one won't be much more expensive probably even cheaper.
    If you applied the same logic to cars there would be war and I'd bet the government would get involved but this is apple and they provide jobs in Ireland so do not dare question them and there anti consumer/retailer policy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I’ve noticed some serious battery drain since going to iOS 11.2 on my 6S Plus when before I’d get a day and a half out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭billgibney

Would this not be covered under warranty for up to 5 years as it's a manufacturer fault

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It seems Apple does let users know if they’re battery needs to be replaced. If you look in the right place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomwarren/status/943605851385982976

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

billgibney wrote: »
    Would this not be covered under warranty for up to 5 years as it's a manufacturer fault

That's exactly the issue - if they don't throttle the processor speed when the battery becomes tired, the phone crashes when high demands are made on the battery* - looks like battery tech hasn't actually kept up with the demands of smartphone users.
    Now the cat is out of the bag, people will be queueing around the block demanding new batteries to restore the processor speeds they paid for - there are already class-action lawsuits being prepared in the US.

*Happened my old 2003 iPod - it got to the stage where I couldn't actually sync it with my Mac, as it would shut down before the sync was complete, even though the Mac was providing power through the sync cable. A replacement battery from eBay/china fixed things, but was rubbish quality, and the iPod was unable to sync again after a few months...

It seems Apple does let users know if they’re battery needs to be replaced. If you look in the right place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomwarren/status/943605851385982976

I was in that screen several times for certain on my 6S and that definitely didn’t appear. My cpu was throttled to 600Mhz (one third normal speed)

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Typically lithiums are good for around 1,000cycles, so 3-5yr old phone that is charged regularly may well suffer some battery fatigue. I use battery saver mode at 95% of the time, save the trees etc.

Typically lithiums are good for around 1,000cycles, so 3-5yr old phone that is charged regularly may well suffer some battery fatigue. I use battery saver mode at 95% of the time, save the trees etc.

According to the Apple website iPhones are only good for 500 cycles. All other Apple products are good for 1000 cycles

"Just for clarification, I do agree that Apple hasn’t done their due diligence in communicating this decision with the end-user. Not everyone follows /r/Apple, or their press releases."

Apple never actually released exactly what this fix entailed - they said a change was made to address a very small percentage of people having random shutdowns - not - you will not longer get your quoted cpu speed once you apply this speed limiting patch.

If its so necessary - wonder why Samsung don't have do this?

Three lawsuits in America right now - wonder if EU watchdogs will do anything for us over here?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/days-after-iphone-battery-fiasco-lawsuits-against-apple-begin-to-mount/

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If its so necessary - wonder why Samsung don't have do this?

Three lawsuits in America right now - wonder if EU watchdogs will do anything for us over here?

Class action suit launched in Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cheap batteries for everyone until Dec 2018 it seems.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not for everyone. iPhone 6 and later. And only batteries that "need to be replaced", i.e. are failing according to Apple's diagnostics. We'll have to see how strict they are about this. They are pretty strict about it currently even for devices within warranty, so I can't see them suddenly allowing a free-for-all.

Peatys wrote: »
    Class action suit launched in Israel

France is suing also now- and this one Could be an expensive one:

“the maximum penalty for companies found guilty under French law is ... five percent of the company’s annual turnover.

Just read their apology- and it’s a start but not enough- there needs to be an option in software to turn this slowdown off not just monitor it. And a battery change in Ireland is 110 euros not $79 also- so 50 dollars off is not a lot really.

Also the Apple letter sounds as if they are just mildly slowing for a short time as needed - this is not what I experienced - I had a permanently slow to be almost unusable IPhone 6s with no hint as to why it was so slow.

“Roll it back”

France is suing also now- and this one Could be an expensive one:

“the maximum penalty for companies found guilty under French law is ... five percent of the company’s annual turnover.

Just read their apology- and it’s a start but not enough- there needs to be an option in software to turn this slowdown off not just monitor it. And a battery change in Ireland is 110 euros not $79 also- so 50 dollars off is not a lot really.

Also the Apple letter sounds as if they are just mildly slowing for a short time as needed - this is not what I experienced - I had a permanently slow to be almost unusable IPhone 6s with no hint as to why it was so slow.

It says €89 plus shipping here. The US price is also exclusive of shipping.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/iphone/repair/service/pricing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

By apologising, they must be leaving themselves wide open to claims from customers who upgraded from ip6 due to lagging performance. New battery bit late for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This whole thing has everything to do with shareholder value and nothing to do with user experience.

Keep the sale numbers high for every new phone at all costs.

Advertisement