Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'FREE' HOUSE FOR CHRISTMAS

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Should it be a gamble? If I work for 30 years and funnel some of that money into something like a house, the hope that I have, is that what I have worked for, isn't all for nothing. If there is no stability in the future, then how can you plan for the future?

But you will still have your house, that's what you paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've lived beside one of these estates for 10 years, never had an issue. Most of the residents are working people, its not scumbag central.

I grew up on a council estate and guess what, most of the residents where working people. It wasn't scumbag central. Funny thing is the estate we live in now is private and social and only one household is full of scumbags and that's privately owned.

The threat of the council moving social housing tenants out if they misbehave means we see no trouble. Before we bought our house several years ago the council removed a family from a unit because of the threat they posed to others in the area. I'm not saying all social housing tenants are angels of course they aren't but to label many because of the actions of a few is downright ignorant.

I don't label every banker a crook because of the actions of a few, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

_Dara_ wrote: »
    No offence but...

Reminds me of the classic "I ain't racist but *insert racist comment*"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

How many people in social housing are employed in Ireland*?The whole "paying rent" thing is rather meaningless in real terms if its only 20-30 euro a week.

I know in some parts of the UK a decent proportion of people in social housing are actually employed but IMO thats actually an issue too as for places like that if your a mid to low paid normal worker you'd never be able to afford to buy yourself but people who are worse of ironically can get permanent housing.

Personally I'l be harsh and say I don't think the emphasis should be on social housing, the emphasis should be on Affordable housing a priority housing for key workers, many younger people who aren't in the best paying jobs make huge sacrifices to buy a house, they aren't wealthy people they end up moving home to parents or buying many miles from their jobs and support networks but since they earn a modest wage they are cut out of both the overheated private market and too "wealthy" for the social housing

Advertisement