Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New into fly fishing

Options
  • 13-12-2017 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Just moved to co. Cavan.... i know fly fishing season wont start until march...but thats pretty much all i know about fly fishing...

So please guys can anyone advise me what rod size and line would you recommend to start with? I wanna something decent that will be good for season or two.... preferable something to fit canal as well as some boat fly fishing...but no saltwater... just lakes and canals or small rivers...

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Just moved to co. Cavan.... i know fly fishing season wont start until march...but thats pretty much all i know about fly fishing...

So please guys can anyone advise me what rod size and line would you recommend to start with? I wanna something decent that will be good for season or two.... preferable something to fit canal as well as some boat fly fishing...but no saltwater... just lakes and canals or small rivers...

Thank you in advance.

There are a multitude of answers. Along with questions.

The main one being what are you planning on catching. As you mentioned a boat, you will be fishing lakes, and also rivers, whats in them?

Will you be looking to fly fish for small trout or big pike, or somewhere in the middle - Unfortunately you will need 2 rods if you want both.

The middle of the road would be a 6# (# = weight) Rod. That would be designed for good sized trout and rainbows and should get you out of any situation you come into with them. However if you hook into a small trout, you will barely feel it - a big salmon or pike may break it!

The lines that go with rods are specific according to # and they need to match.

I just realized you moved to cavan - So you have some fantastic Pike fishing up there.

Have you any clue as to the fishing you would like to do - or would you like to do all of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Thank you in advance.

A 9 to10 ft rod 7 weight would be good to start off with. Dont get a dirt cheap rod in aldi. Get yourself a decent rod and and line. It will be much easier for you to learn how to cast.
    Look up youtube videos for basic casting instruction and knots. How to attach a braided loop and leader. How to tie on a drooper. All that stuff is on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Fly fishing for trout only.for pike i have at least 6 rods....spinning setup...dead bite setup...even ultra light... even have sea fishing rods...beach casters...and sea boat fishijg rods... i wanna get into trout fly fishing... get into water or boat and start casting....

So no pikes i will be after... i will be happy to fish for trout only..

I fished for them in sea..but only spinning...with meps size.0 or 1

2 years a go... licence was 56 euro and i got 4 tags for the season... didnt use even one... all went back.. but it was spinning.. i reach the age wherei wanna fly fish and take it to the next level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I took it up this year. I got a lesson and then just practiced on stocked lakes for a few sessions. I'm still terrible at it but I'm looking forward to hitting some rivers next year.

My instructor recommended a 5 weight set up for trout.

OnDraught wrote: »
    I took it up this year. I got a lesson and then just practiced on stocked lakes for a few sessions. I'm still terrible at it but I'm looking forward to hitting some rivers next year.

My instructor recommended a 5 weight set up for trout.

Seems about right..according the youtube/google source for beginners...
    I am looking at 9ft 5/6# rod/reel with weight forward line size 5..... and how did you find out? Do you have any fishing backround? I am kinda nature guy..i like small cannals or tiny shallow rivers...i mean that would be my choice for fly fishing...

Just local lake provide boat only fly fishing...so i may give it a go to learn...and see...

• Advertisement

Seems about right..according the youtube/google source for beginners...
    I am looking at 9ft 5/6# rod/reel with weight forward line size 5..... and how did you find out? Do you have any fishing backround? I am kinda nature guy..i like small cannals or tiny shallow rivers...i mean that would be my choice for fly fishing...

I've been lure fishing for the last 4 years.

I got a Greys 9ft 5 weight rod
    A Greys Reel
    Cortland line
    Backing
    A spool of mono for leaders and tippets

I spent about €220 all in. It's great craic particularly using dry flies and watching the fish take them.

OnDraught wrote: »
    I've been lure fishing for the last 4 years.

I got a Greys 9ft 5 weight rod
    A Greys Reel
    Cortland line
    Backing
    A spool of mono for leaders and tippets

I spent about €220 all in. It's great craic particularly using dry flies and watching the fish take them.

Just wondering..if using pure lets say 6lb flouro would not be enough...instead of leader followed by tippet...

Well watching videos dry flies are great if calm and wind less conditions.... rRare over here.... but say its defo fun... i like to catch pike on floating lures.... my favourite are frogs in summmer

Btw do you use any solution on the flies? To keep the floating? And if you dont mind..what county are you fishing in?

Thank you for detailed list...it give me much bettter starting point...

A 9 to10 ft rod 7 weight would be good to start off with. Dont get a dirt cheap rod in aldi. Get yourself a decent rod and and line. It will be much easier for you to learn how to cast.
    Look up youtube videos for basic casting instruction and knots. How to attach a braided loop and leader. How to tie on a drooper. All that stuff is on youtube.

Just to mention..i work for aldi.... we dont sell fly fishing gear... cheers... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Just to mention..i work for aldi.... we dont sell fly fishing gear... cheers... ;)

They have in the past buddy 100%. I no a few muppets that bought the aldi fly rod reel combo. Aldi usually get the fishing gear in summer i think. Some of its decent. I got a good head lamp in there before.

They have in the past buddy 100%. I no a few muppets that bought the aldi fly rod reel combo. Aldi usually get the fishing gear in summer i think. Some of its decent. I got a good head lamp in there before.

Hint: we do the best neoprene winter fishing gloves in the market.... 4.99e cant beat that.... anyway... the gear is ok for a once a year fisherman but any serious person would visit local fishing shop instead....

And indeed head lamp and hat lamp are alway selling as flies... you see there.... thanks

• Advertisement

Btw do you use any solution on the flies? To keep the floating? And if you dont mind..what county are you fishing in?

Thank you for detailed list...it give me much bettter starting point...

Yeah I bought a bottle of floatant. Not sure if its any use because the odd good cast I have gets a fish. Im fishing the stocked lakes around dublin.

Well watching videos....evem dry fly can get wet aftsr few casts or even a bite... so floatant is defo good... last Q...what colour of flies do you prefer? As well as hook size....small?

Advertisement