Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A cheat maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

I can't complain about him. I would test positive for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Apparently over twice the legal limit so should not of being racing a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Is this a similar drug that the one Wiggins was taking while winning the Tour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Apparently over twice the legal limit so should not of being racing a bike.

Claims his asthma got really bad towards the end of the race so his team increased his dosage within permissible levels outlined by the UCI.

I'm sure we have an old kids inhaler lying around here, might be worth a try myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Read in the Spanish paper if he can explain why for thereputic reasons he needed such high doses he’ll be ok. Guess This will set Kimmage off again he was always a bit suspect of sky.

benneca1 wrote: »
    This will set Kimmage off again he was always a bit suspect of sky.

He and every other adult that share Kimmage's trait of breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

It's amazing how having asthma is such an advantage that pretty much every endurance athlete has it these days. What's the figure in cycling, around 80% of the pro-peleton?

The great thing about this is that is again shows up that teams are still doping, they are just using "legal" drugs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Galego wrote: »
    Is this a similar drug that the one Wiggins was taking while winning the Tour?

No. You don't need a TUE for salbutamol. Plus it's has no real benefit to non asthmatics.

Interestingly I've been taking a drug that is on the WADA banned list and have been finding cycling really difficult. I had good form which disappeared pretty much overnight and feel awful so not sure what aspect could be considered performance enhancing.

• Advertisement

His result is a hell of a lot more than what Contador had too.

Pretty amazing how Team Sky can get two such people, Wiggins and Froome, to such heights when they have such problems with their lungs. They really should drop out of cycling and start opening medical clinics and sell their miracle health programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

My 3 year old Son had been sick with a cough for about a year. Eventually about 4 weeks ago the Doc said he has Asthma and prescribed him a Steroid inhaler, at very low amounts.
    Since then he's been a different child altogether. His moods and sleeping have really improved.
    But the biggest improvement is that now his 5 year old Sister can't keep up with him going around the garden on the balance bikes :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Given how Diego Ulissi got a substantial ban for a similar offense I can't see how Froome will get away with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

If he does get a ban it will be interesting to see if Team Sky adhere to their zero tolerance policy and sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

lissard wrote: »
    Given how Diego Ulissi got a substantial ban for a similar offense I can't see how Froome will get away with this.

Because one is Diego Ulissi and the other is Chris Froome is how he will get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The statement from Team Sky.

TL:DR No rules have been broken (at this point)

https://www.teamsky.com/article/ts-statement

Personally I think Sky shouldn’t be showing favourable results from their lab, and that UCI should be mandating an independent facility for Froome to submit to for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

What I find amazing is that this as taken since September to be dealt with. Is that normal? I really like Froome (although I don't like Team Sky) and very disappointed with him regardless as to wether he receives a ban or not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ThisRegard wrote: »
    His result is a hell of a lot more than what Contador had too.

This is Salbutamol. Contador tested positive for Clenbuterol, which is a different drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Team Sky and anyone associated with them have zero credibility.
    Pro cycling is a sport with zero credibility.
    Nothing has changed in essence since the Arsmstorng era, they are just better at it, in fact more cynical than back then because they play in these grey areas.
    How anyone bothers with the pro sport is beyond me personally. Its a complete fraud top to bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

Ah marginal gains

Is there any check by an independent doctor for TUE's or is it simply a case of my doctor says I need X for Y and the UCI issue a TUE :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Took long enough but glad to see it all starting to unravel. I doubt anything will be done given its Sky and he's the poster boy but his whole career has finally got that big fat asterisk that everyone was crying out for.

This is Salbutamol. Contador tested positive for Clenbuterol, which is a different drug.

Ah, yes, that's correct. Different methods too, steak and asthma medicine.

Urindanger wrote: »
    Took long enough but glad to see it all starting to unravel. I doubt anything will be done given its Sky and he's the poster boy but his whole career has finally got that big fat asterisk that everyone was crying out for.

So basically thats another 4 Tdf's that bite the dust!
    The entire sport should be beyond ashamed of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

supposedly it'd be about 15 to 20 puffs of a regular inhaler to go over the limit

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No, he may lose the Vuelta title alright, but there isn't any question at the moment his Tour titles may be stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Interesting to see what effect it had on his BBC sports personality chances now.

The statement from Team Sky.

TL:DR No rules have been broken (at this point)

https://www.teamsky.com/article/ts-statement

Personally I think Sky shouldn’t be showing favourable results from their lab, and that UCI should be mandating an independent facility for Froome to submit to for testing.

I love there transparency. Found out in September. Release a statement just before the UCI.

• Advertisement

No, he may lose the Vuelta title alright, but there isn't any question at the moment his Tour titles may be stripped.

What I meant was that if hes found to be a cheat here and its proven, an * goes against his tdf victories, and essentially they are tainted.
    In my opinion, which is not necessarily everyone's, any victory with an * means nothing til the person proves the * isnt warranted.
    If another 4 tour wins are tarnished by the stench of cheating, it really is utterly pitiful, if its not already. There would be virtually no winners in the last quarter of a century or more with untainted victories, outside of Evans and Sastre. That is a shameful legacy for a sport and really does render the whole thing a waste of time and a huge con.

Advertisement