Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Keeks wrote: »
    By Alien do you mean actaully mean doper?
    I think you missed the smiley face there :)

No, I just mean alien.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

The pressure is being piled on sky now, even though I do like to watch froome I think sky need to do the right thing and suspend him until this is resolved

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/uci-president-suspend-froome/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mamax wrote: »
    His comments ramp up the pressure on the team. It is currently working on an explanation for the UCI as to why Froome’s Salbutamol levels were twice the permitted limit at the Vuelta.
    Better be a good story bro! Its taking long enough to concoct it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Does he have a lucky inhaler or just many of them?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Froome has been busy the past 2 weeks in south Africa - riding another Vuelta d'Espana.

Seriously, check out his Strava feed........

A theory put forward by a listener to the Cycling Podcast proposed that he would undergo the testing at the UCI today, Friday, having spent the past two weeks emulating the distances and effort it that brought him to that stage of the Vuelta where he was tested and failed.

The high temperatures in SA at this time tie in with Spain in September.

We may get to hear an outcome......................some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Froome has been busy the past 2 weeks in south Africa - riding another Vuelta d'Espana.

Seriously, check out his Strava feed........

A theory put forward by a listener to the Cycling Podcast proposed that he would undergo the testing at the UCI today, Friday, having spent the past two weeks emulating the distances and effort it that brought him to that stage of the Vuelta where he was tested and failed.

The high temperatures in SA at this time tie in with Spain in September.

We may get to hear an outcome......................some day.
    I figured something similar. Suggestion too that he was using motor pacing to achieve the high averages for 200km+ rides - simulating riding in the peloton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

recedite wrote: »
    Not as amazing as Lance winning the TDF while suffering from bollox cancer though.

It wasn't while he was suffering from that. It was after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Will they try to replicate the OD on the inhaler and the dodgy kidney thst stored it all?

#marginalhope

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    #marginalhope

Genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I figured something similar. Suggestion too that he was using motor pacing to achieve the high averages for 200km+ rides - simulating riding in the peloton.

Makes little sense to me as Froome not only rode a Vuelta he rode a Tour a few weeks before ...

Secondly how can he get the wet and humidity in S Africa that was in the Spanish mountains

I wonder if this is another ploy by SKY to be seen to be trying to recreate the conditions ...but nigh impossible

So wonder about this new departure

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Doc07

fondriest wrote: »

Thank you posting.
    Great to have the cheating benefits of salbutamol explained clearly in plain English.

I don't actually know if Froome injected or ingested it or if he really did just take too many puffs and had delayed renal clearance. If Froome & Sky are innocent then it might be all just an unbelievable and unprecedented sequence of events!

However for all the media coverage thus far, almost no journalist asks about the weight loss issue/muscle preserving benefit and explains why salbutamol might be abused. Every time these doping issues are raised the facts are never summarised clearly and it's all cloudy and confusing terms like 'adverse analytical' and we all roll on to the next 'scandal' and the average punter still doesn't know why substance x,y,z are actually been used by their favourite star/team etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

great article.
    thanks

Thanks for posting

However I dont agree with this statement "All successful cyclists in the World Tour dope"

But it has been clear for sometime that Wiggins & Froome have used 'a class of drugs known as β-agonist receptors' to shed fat and keep muscle (usually fast) and for anyone not built like a small Colombian this is one of the most difficult thing to do in GT riding. Nicolas Roche spends all year trying to shed weight and keep muscle and has had a window of about 8 weeks towards end of the year when he is competetive
    Dumoulin has managed to shed the weight and keep the muscle but like all things there wll be anomolies... who knows

Most climbers like Quitana & MAL are naturally built for climbing ..one could have never said that about Froome or Wiggins

SKY have used TUEs and then other methods to push and go over the boundaries .... and I suspect they are not the only ones doing this but I dont think every top cyclist are using these drugs to be competetive and to win GTS

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did Nico Roche not mention grey areas in an interview with Kimmage awhile ago? Kimmage was quizzing him on the definition of doping and it threw Roche, as he said, he was within the rules. I think the phrase was along the lines of if it wasn't on the banned list.

Much like many other sports, alot of people feel they are withing the rules but many others would call that doping.

So while you think they don't dope, many others would say that they are but the list etc. has not caught up.

Imagine I developed a drug, that had the same or similar active site as Salbutamol, or it conformed to act like Salbutamol in certain parts of the body dependent on pH or time dependent but it was overall a different structure, and it would not show up on any known test etc. Am I doping or am I within the rules.In my mind, I am doping, it is manipulation to gain an unfair advantage over athletes who have the same capability and chance as me. According to many high level athletes, if stories are to be believed, then they are not.

One man's "grey area" is another mans "marginal gain", is another mans "doping". Taking EPO or employing blood doping is a lot cheaper than sending a team to a hotel in Columbia for a few month's altitude training, but they all have the same general effect.

One man's "grey area" is another mans "marginal gain", is another mans "doping". Taking EPO or employing blood doping is a lot cheaper than sending a team to a hotel in Columbia for a few month's altitude training, but they all have the same general effect.

They won't though

Its all about increasing red blood cell count/oxygen uptake.
    Different to the other power/weight ratio thing being discussed, but all the same its just another unfair advantage/marginal gain.

Its all about increasing red blood cell count/oxygen uptake.
    Different to the other power/weight ratio thing being discussed, but all the same its just another unfair advantage/marginal gain.

There's absolutely nothing morally wrong with doing altitude training, as you know the results are not really controllable in the way blood doping is.

You could be a donkey, go to the mountains and return still a donkey because you couldn't hack the altitude training whereas we know EPO turned donkeys into thoroughbred champions.

*No disrepect to donkeys, they are wonderful animals

• Advertisement

Nicolas Roche said to KImmage that he took tramadol for TTs previously but stopped ..and that was at Saxo...because they made him feel funny

The reason I used him as shedding weight and keeping power is an issue for him and not taking asthma drugs in large quantities to lose weight. puts him at a disadvantage to someone who does

Dan Martin is asthmatic and I presume takes drugs for his asthma

But Froome has gone beyond the rules ...hence the issue
    And Wiggins used a TUE to go beyond the rules

That an athlete has to work witin the rules is true , that the rules are open to abuse needs tightening by UCI & WADA

All teams I would say know the rules and work within them but I dont say all are dopers
    To suggest you working within the rules is a suspect approach is an issue with the rules not some nefarious doings by riders

I think some have found loopholes (like TUEs) that give them an advatage and they exploit that

Froome's case is definitley NOT working within the rules

THere is definitely a difference between working within the rules and abusing the rules ...SKY seem as we have found out, ways to abused the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

MPFGLB wrote: »

But Froome has gone beyond the rules ...hence the issue
    And Wiggins used a TUE to go beyond the rules

Froome has too......
    He did at the tour of Romandia a few years ago which he won....Which i believe was also for chronic asthma....

Now i dont know why Sky didnt go down the same route this time also.....and get a TUE.
    The whole kidney story is just a bit far fetched, and it is very unlikely that they will be able to recreate the event if it is true.....unless they *cough* know they they can recreate it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,487 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Damn you.

There's goes my hope my 'lucky' inhaler will bring me unexpected bonus benefits :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Weepsie wrote: »
    *No disrepect to donkeys, they are wonderful animals

They're hopeless bike riders though

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing morally wrong with doing altitude training, as you know the results are not really controllable..
    I think the results are entirely predictable and measurable. As for "morality" well, if only wealthy people/teams can afford it, is it moral?
    Perhaps no different in principle to having access to the best and most expensive equipment. Obviously it won't turn a donkey into a racehorse. But then Froome was never a donkey, and the same goes for all the riders who have been banned over the years. All were good riders even before they took whatever they took.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Excellent read. I don’t agree with his generalisation about all professional riders.

I recall it said that there is nothing miraculous about Froome from a Power perspective-“he only putting out the same power now as he was 8 years ago”. His weight has dropped a lot since then. The article gives a potential explanation for these two “facts”.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

But then Froome was never a donkey

Pre Vuelta 2011 Froome was as close as you get to a Donkey in Pro cycling. He well below the likes of Nico and Dan Martin yet over the course of a month (Tours Poland to Vuelta) turned into the best GT ride of this era...

PS A donkey would look classier on a bike ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Thank you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

RobFowl wrote: »
    Pre Vuelta 2011 Froome was as close as you get to a Donkey in Pro cycling. He well below the likes of Nico and Dan Martin yet over the course of a month (Tours Poland to Vuelta) turned into the best GT ride of this era...

Thank you! And yet, when people back then where pointing out the obvious, they were called trying to catch ghosts. Froome is possibly the worst thing that happened to professional cycling after LA, and at least LA was fun to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

recedite wrote:
    But then Froome was never a donkey, and the same goes for all the riders who have been banned over the years. All were good riders even before they took whatever they took.
    Was this at the 2010 giro when he was chucked off for holding on to a moto on a mountain stage, or just before the 2011 vuelta when he was so good sky weren't going to renew his contract?

Equating epo to altitude training is an over simplification of the effect of epo from what I've read. The ability to do more training on less fuel/ calories (and thus reducing power to weight) was the biggest benefit Tyler Hamilton said iirc, not in the actual oxygen up take.

Advertisement