Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    What's to stop them from dosing him orally with Salbutamol during the tests?

Nothing, nothing at all, which is why such a test is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Surreptitiously? Officially they can only use up to the maximum permitted dose in permitted methods.
    Cheaters gonna cheat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

CramCycle wrote: »
    This has been yet another colossal PR f*ck up from Sky. All they had to do at the very start was say that while they believe in Chris and that he is clean, we also respect due process and are holding him back from competition until his name is cleared. They could have knocked up a quick PR statement about it not being a banned substance, just regulated, and that it has been flagged to authorities before, and if he gets banned, what kind of a message does that send to millions of asthmatics around the world, are you telling me they are not allowed dream. Maybe Chris could come out as a secret Asthma UK sponsor and get snapped sitting in with GPs when they break the bad news to newly diagnosed asthmatics.

Marginal gains, I would be surprised if they could organise a piss up in a brewery.

SKY dont care about cycling fans or indeed cycling journalists

They care about the British press and British public

If they accepted culpability and suspened Froome then it would look like an admission of guilt ...no other message to the British public.... who only half pay attenetion to any detail

But if they fight they appear innocent until proven guilty...no matter the consequence to cycling
    And if they draw it out then the British public may forget the issue and beleive in their innocence as they continue to fight

But I cannot see how they can win....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

MPFGLB wrote: »
    SKY dont care about cycling fans or indeed cycling journalists

They care about the British press and British public

If they accepted culpability and suspened Froome then it would look like an admission of guilt ...no other message to the British public.... who only half pay attenetion to any detail

But if they fight they appear innocent until proven guilty...no matter the consequence to cycling
    And if they draw it out then the British public may forget the issue and beleive in their innocence as they continue to fight

But I cannot see how they can win....

SKY care so much about the British Public that they don’t broadcast any cycling? The Britishness is pretty much a joke.

SKY only care about their brand in Europe where they are not a dominant player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Its interesting that some of you guys are quite certain he'll get a lengthy ban, on British forums I post on, their confident he'll either get off or at worst, only be banned for a few months in the off season so he wont be miss any races.

Different opinions depending on who you talk to regarding this. But British forums seem to think he's innocent and a ban is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Its interesting that some of you guys are quite certain he'll get a lengthy ban, on British forums I post on, their confident he'll either get off or at worst, only be banned for a few months in the off season so he wont be miss any races.

Different opinions depending on who you talk to regarding this. But British forums seem to think he's innocent and a ban is unlikely.

Science must not be their forte.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

They are wrong ;)

Time will tell but anyone thinking this came from 2-3 puffs of an inhaler is deluded......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

And why is their collective opinion so different to the collective opinion here, after all both media have access to the same raw facts ?

Is is that they are colored by the fact that both he and them are British or is this forum colored by the fact that they don't like what he and sky have been doing to grand tours ?

They may not be objective but reading some of the stuff here would lead you to think he is almost as bad as the most blatant cheaters the sport has ever seen. Where have the shades of grey gone lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

He may not be blood doping like lance but it appears again and again that he and sky are at the vanguard of a new type of doping where the rules are manipulated to get the same edge as blatant dopers did in the passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And why is their collective opinion so different to the collective opinion here, after all both media have access to the same raw facts ?

Is is that they are colored by the fact that both he and them are British or is this forum colored by the fact that they don't like what he and sky have been doing to grand tours ?

They may not be objective but reading some of the stuff here would lead you to think he is almost as bad as the most blatant cheaters the sport has ever seen. Where have the shades of grey gone lads.

Or it may be that simply they look back on past cheats and how they got away with slaps on the wrist or bans during the off-season.

not just in cycling, every sport is guilty of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Returning twice the limit for a controlled drug is not venturing into some sort of grey area - it's very clear-cut ban territory. I just don't buy any of this 'it's a complex area' nonsense and precedent would suggest as much. I doubt many people thought it was a complex issue when Diego Ullissi got busted in the Giro a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Being twice the limit for an anabolic steroid isn't really a grey area. (especially in the context of his transformation as an athlete who despite losing a lot of weight has kept all his power)

Not being a complete cnut like Lance is a poor start to a defence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

And if it is as simple, plain and obvious as all this why aren't they seeing it over on the British forums ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

And if it is as simple, plain and obvious as all this why aren't they seeing it over on the British forums ?

Maybe people posting in British cycling forums are more likely to be fans of British cyclists? It's not exactly a mystery . I would imagine Russian Athletics forums are full of people claiming none of their athletes have ever doped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Any chance you could link to these forums? I'm not too familiar with them all but the few I've read seem to have a reasonable number of disbelievers from what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Russman

Some of those most blatant cheaters never tested positive. I can't see how twice the allowed amount of a substance isn't fairly blatant tbh.

That said, I do think a way will be found to get him out of it. It'll be dragged out and eventually passed off as some sort of "technical" infringement, not really worthy of serious sanction, poor Chris he got a bit unlucky there, if he wasn't so ill with all these unfortunate ailments etc. etc.

Unless Sky throw him under the bus of course !

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

they think he's innocent or they think he won't get banned?

I don't think he's innocent but I also think there's a fair chance he won't get banned.

A lot of the UK cycling fora are very sanitised. They had to moderate like hell during the lance years that they had little option but to ban or drive out all the 'naysayers'. I'd suggest reading your forum, then go read the clinic. The truth is almost certainly somewhere in between the 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There have been positives before that have been let off at the pro tour level that they have banned amateur riders for. The excuses were beyond comprehension.

I imagine it will depend on who is heading the anti doping investigation and if they want to make a name or make money in some other fashion.

If they want to make a name, he will get the full term, if they don't, he will get a short ban, they will find someone comparable, state his cooperation and trying to repeat the conditions, it could happen to anyone. Probably 6 months, maybe even backdated even if his team didn't provisionally suspend him.

Either way, i'd be surprised if he put in a good performance at the tour this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Ulissi and Petacchi were two huge favourites with the tifosi that were done for almost exactly the same thing.
    They won't like the Tour champ being linked with a drugs ban (again) but they'll have to suck it up and give him 6 months to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd disagree with you - I consider him and Sky equally as bad as the cheaters who took amphetamines and coke in the 60s to Lance and the more sophisticated doping of 10 years ago.

Winning races in such dominant fashion with some of the most debilitating illnesses known to man, the most scientific approach to cycling ever seen but no medical records and needing to go back to the UK to buy a standard prescription medicine available anywhere, lying and defensiveness when questioned (almost identical to the last dominant GT rider)

All that before looking at YouTube clips of him cycling around a bend up a mountain and seeing how he can barely keep control of the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's few points for me...
    1) Because of how they came into the sport and how they were going to do it clean, and how they've continually let down that promise. From faux "zero tolerance" to TUE's to this.
    2) You'd have to be extremely naive (imo) not to have been raising eyebrows at Froomes transformation and subsequent performances.
    3) I think the (mainly British) fanboys do have a part to play in that, plus whether we like it or not, we have to put up with bias british media view regarding my first two points.

Most of my cycling heroes were dopers. They're still really my cycling heroes (or rather why they might not be isn't really doping related!).

Interesting that there doesn't seem many bookmakers taking money on TDF right now, the ones that do have the TDF without Chris Froome (both ladbrokes and paddypower have this currently as their only market).

PaddyPower though still have a market available for Chris Froome to win both the Giro and the TDF this year at 7/2. Good odds? He'll be 33 this year and you'd be wondering how long he has left before his legs begin to go a bit.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling

Ulissi and Petacchi were two huge favourites with the tifosi that were done for almost exactly the same thing.
    They won't like the Tour champ being linked with a drugs ban (again) but they'll have to suck it up and give him 6 months to a year.

If he gets 6 months he'll only lose the Vuelta and would be available for selection for the 3 main Grand Tours this year. 8 months would the minimum needed for him to be banned from the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If he gets 6 months he'll only lose the Vuelta and would be available for selection for the 3 main Grand Tours this year. 8 months would the minimum needed for him to be banned from the Giro.

Will it definitely be backdated if the didn't provisionally suspend him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

He's either cheated or hasn't. There is no grey area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Agh yes. I remember this nugget for days past:

“I read it in the Daily Sport, it must be true”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is this a bit like Schrodinger's Cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QisnPsu7_Uk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sport like life is rarely black and white. You can exist in a near constant grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sport like life is rarely black and white. You can exist in a near constant grey area.

Yellow card then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

RobFowl wrote: »

But rules are black and white

He broke the rules...whether it was deliberate or by accident is neither here nor there ....

All that matters is he was above the legal threshold (twofold above it) and unless he can prove it was not by design then there will be a ban

So balck and white it kinda is

Everything else including comparisons to other cheats is immaterial

Advertisement