Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Froome with a top Strave performance proves nothing ...we saw him win 2 GTs back to back and with dodgy kidneys
    So he can produce great results ...so what

What did he take to get there is the question ....and to lose the weight so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

best wishes to Froomey as he starts his racing season today. Here's hoping the sickest man on the planet has a great, safe race, and that he didn't forget to pack his medication.

Cycling news were reporting the case could begin this week or next, but they seem to a have a piece every other day with terms like "reportedly" used.

It's beyond a joke at this point, he/Sky have had 5 or 6 months now to make their case and I think even if he were to get a ban it would almost certainly be appealed to CAS and be further dragged out.

Still I'm looking forward to the racing this week in Spain and Portual.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't understand the logic behind putting Froome in these early season races. The overall goal is the TdF, so why why pull out of these and then claim they suspended him (they announce this only if he is ever found to be guilty) and this already served his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Keeks wrote: »
    I love this quote from Sky in the article....just sums the team up completely.....there are going to do down swinging...

They epitomise the modern world's obsession with bull**** and spin, they should probably consider joining up with fine gael at this stage. Does anyone talk honestly anymore?

• Advertisement

Froome and Brailsford both gave interviews at Ruta Del Sol earlier, both saying the same thing. Blah blah lots of misinformation we're as anxious as everyone to have it cleared up /reaches for bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

CramCycle wrote: »
    Repeating the result is only positive if he dopes in the exact same way as which he doped before. It is possibly the stupidest stunt, and if entertained, it will be beyond ridiculousness. Unless there is an independent overseer, following him 24hours a day, every day, then the test is even more pointless as he can just cheat and say, hey look, same thing happened again.

My mind cannot get around the stupidty of it all but considering CAS upheld the excuse of excessive kissing, I have already given up.

Thats what I've been thinking, along with who is monitoring him in doing this, surely he will or at least could try any illicit means to replicate that failed test result? And if he replicates it, whos to say or prove he didnt cheat to do that? and even if he does replicate it, so what?
    Sick to death of him, Sky and the whole sorry show that is pro cycling. Its a pitiful mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

1bryan wrote: »
    best wishes to Froomey as he starts his racing season today. Here's hoping the sickest man on the planet has a great, safe race, and that he didn't forget to pack his medication.

If ever a man needed a rub of a Padre Pio relic it was Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I'd say racing this early in the year must be a right cross to bear, what with the oul bilharzia and chronic asthma. I'm sure with his doctors help he'll somehow surmount these obstacles and reinforce our faith in miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

terrydel wrote: »
    They epitomise the modern world's obsession with bull**** and spin, they should probably consider joining up with fine gael at this stage. Does anyone talk honestly anymore?

I'd say you do chief!(tongue in cheek, i think this whole thing is a farce too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

At least the Scumbags at the tour won’t be throwing piss at him this year.

He is going to get pelted by inhalers

I never really followed any of the other high profile drug test failures but were they as drawn out as this?

Contadors was if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

lissard wrote: »
    I'd say racing this early in the year must be a right cross to bear, what with the oul bilharzia and chronic asthma. .

February is an awful month for pollen and tree spores too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

benneca1 wrote: »
    Read in the Spanish paper if he can explain why for thereputic reasons he needed such high doses he’ll be ok. Guess This will set Kimmage off again he was always a bit suspect of sky.

And good reason. We should all suspect sky of cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

I was watching a bit of the race today, Kirby was saying that if he was banned he would still get to keep his vuelta win, is that correct?

That surprised me too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No, it is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

RobFowl wrote: »
    No, it is not correct.

Proves Kirby is an idiot! How could he think he can keep the win if found to have failed a drug test ? Everybody would be running to the drug shop for pseudothis and effin ephriden or marginalgainodine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Shoco83 wrote: »
    I was watching a bit of the race today, Kirby was saying that if he was banned he would still get to keep his vuelta win, is that correct?

If he's banned, the ban will be backdated to the date he was caught, which was during the Vuelta. Any result after that date will be wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Proves Kirby is an idiot!

saying Kirby is an idiot is an insult to idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It was actually Matt Stevens was talking about it saying that he would keep the results, and mentioned that it was something to do with which list salbutamol was on.

I’ll agree about Kirby though. I heard him commentating on Olympic speed skating a few days ago, and listening to him cram in cycling terms was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I’ll agree about Kirby though. I heard him commentating on Olympic speed skating a few days ago, and listening to him cram in cycling terms was painful.
    I vaguely remember a thread covering all the sports that Kirby has ruined. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was the recent Kirby Whinge Binge

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104060269

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Poor Chris looked a bit sheepish when being interviewed before todays stage, and said he didn't feel great yesterday. Probably in top shape so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If he's banned, the ban will be backdated to the date he was caught, which was during the Vuelta. Any result after that date will be wiped.

As far I know he'll lose the Vuelta, but keep the Worlds Medal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Junior wrote: »
    As far I know he'll lose the Vuelta, but keep the Worlds Medal.

You are incorrect. He will get a ban and it will start at the Vuelta and be at the very least 6 months and probably a good deal longer.
    The Vuelta and worlds medal are all but gone already, by competing under a cloud he is all but losing the chance of a short ban too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Poor Chris looked a bit sheepish when being interviewed before todays stage, and said he didn't feel great yesterday. Probably in top shape so!!

Laying down his excuse for when he's pictured later sucking on his inhaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Bernal wins in Columbia, Kwia wins today in Algarve, and Poel's wins in Andalusia too. With strong performances from Thomas, the Henao's and Elissonde, it seems Sky wont be short of guys to potentially fill the leadership role for the GT's this year.

Expect Team Sky to dominate the rest of the early season stage races as riders try to prove their credentials as team leaders in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

py wrote: »

I'd say the Giro people will be well pissed off if it's true that they have no discretion on accepting or declining his entry, and the case isn't resolved one way or the other before the race starts.
    Especially if he does well/leads/wins with all the attendant press attention during the race and the hullabaloo afterwards, and if the findings then eventually go against him.

Advertisement