Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Brian? wrote: »
    No it’s pure cheating. They went out an signed most of the best one day riders in the world. Bastards.
    they obviously had no budget left over to design a nice looking team kit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lots of people like Quick Step. Lots of people don't like Sky.

And likeability has a lot to do with it. It means they don't care quite so much about stuff such as allegations of Gilbert over-using cortisone, the Keisse incident, Boonen's multiple cocaine positives etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lots of people like Quick Step. Lots of people don't like Sky.

And likeability has a lot to do with it. It means they don't care quite so much about stuff such as allegations of Gilbert over-using cortisone, the Keisse incident, Boonen's multiple cocaine positives etc.

Sean Kelly had a cocaine positive and we still like him. Boonen liked to party.

Gilbert accusations were anonymous, no results, no evidence.

Keisse was cleared, WADA appealed, banned, Belgian court overturned.

Don't think they're on a par with Froome who has a positive test, which has been jumped on as he is a higher profile rider and becuase of the Team Sky/British Cycling ****show over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

QS really are set up for the one day Classic races, just look at their rota. It would appear to be the main focus of the team which is probably why Dan moved

This GCN vid provides a very good overview of the QS Strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bktcRj2wyWU&t=505s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sean Kelly had a cocaine positive and we still like him.

No he didn't
    He had one for codeine and one for amphetamines ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

The likability point is an interesting angle in that it speaks maybe to the riders credibility as racers.
    QS have for a long time had the strongest classics team (20 years) but in that time had a cadre of audacious riders pulling off long range attacks. This in itself has perhaps endeared the team in various incarnations to fans. It also helps that Bonen is a legend and Gilbert is possibly one of the most stylish riders ever to wear a cap.

Sky have very little of that. They dont have the same credibility as racers for many despite having at least the same pedigree as QS.

The culture appears different.

A big factor here are management: Lefevre, Steels, Holm as opposed to the motley crew at Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

guanciale wrote: »
    The likability point is an interesting angle in that it speaks maybe to the riders credibility as racers.
    QS have for a long time had the strongest classics team (20 years) but in that time had a cadre of audacious riders pulling off long range attacks. This in itself has perhaps endeared the team in various incarnations to fans. It also helps that Bonen is a legend and Gilbert is possibly one of the most stylish riders ever to wear a cap.

Sky have very little of that. They dont have the same credibility as racers for many despite having at least the same pedigree as QS.

The culture appears different.

A big factor here are management: Lefevre, Steels, Holm as opposed to the motley crew at Sky.

oh, I don't know about that. QS evolved from Mapei, right? They had a right few bogeys in their time. Museuww, for example.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Pretty much. The current, Lefevre-run team began as Mapei, was split off into Domo - Farm Frites, which then became Quick Step.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

1bryan
    Maybe you misunderstood. I am not claiming they are unblemished or cleaner than Sky. But they are more respected by fans and media, inspite of inspite of reasonably frequent incidents and a managment team with some interesting backgrounds.
    Sky are far less respected and have fewer in mgt who worked during the bleakest days for the sport. Must be a reason for that and likability is as strong as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

1bryan wrote: »
    in Alaphilippe they have one of the best climbers in the world, and someone who is definitely not a one-day race rider.

Hmmm... I can't agree with either part of that sentence!
    The man has a podium in three of the one-day Monuments, he's one-day royalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sean Kelly had a cocaine positive and we still like him. Boonen liked to party.

Really? Since he stopped racing ? Maybe he was out partying with Boonen?

When he was racing he got popped for pseudoephedrine from a cough bottle and codine. Minor for the time and today he could have a TUE for both

Hmmm... I can't agree with either part of that sentence!
    The man has a podium in three of the one-day Monuments, he's one-day royalty.

hah, fair enough. I still see him as a 1-week or Grand Tour rider myself. But can't argue with what you said.

guanciale wrote: »
    1bryan
    Maybe you misunderstood. I am not claiming they are unblemished or cleaner than Sky. But they are more respected by fans and media, inspite of inspite of reasonably frequent incidents and a managment team with some interesting backgrounds.
    Sky are far less respected and have fewer in mgt who worked during the bleakest days for the sport. Must be a reason for that and likability is as strong as any.

ah ok, I get you. Agree with all of that. Maybe it's because Sky were a bunch of bluffers who had a miraculous transformation, whereas Mapei/QS were just always good. Also, the low countries has that history of cycling whereas Britain doesn't. Transgressions seem to escalate into major outrages into the countries newer to cycling (USA and Britain) whereas Spain, Italy, etc, seem to get a pass in that regard despite being no cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Don't think they're on a par with Froome who has a positive test

Wasn't it an adverse analytical finding as it's not a banned substance?

Semantics, I know, but these things can all come down to what a word means or how it is interpreted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Sky's spin and bull**** factory has a lot to do with it for me.
    The level they do both at is simply incredible, a large multinational tech company couldn't keep up with it.
    Maybe I'm naïve and stupid, but perhaps a bit more humility and honesty from them, accepting their punishment when they've wronged, rather than trying to PR their way out of everything, and their likeability might increase.
    Brailisford is a guy who looked like he learned to talk on LinkedIn, 'reach out', 'passionate' all that corporate office bull****. That for me makes him and them utterly detestable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭flatty

Edit, off topic.

RobFowl wrote: »
    No he didn't
    He had one for codeine and one for amphetamines ....

Apologies. I should have double checked that.
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Wasn't it an adverse analytical finding as it's not a banned substance?

Semantics, I know, but these things can all come down to what a word means or how it is interpreted.

Semantics are important, so my apologies for misrepresenting it.

Semantics are important, so my apologies for misrepresenting it.

I unreservedly accept your apology.

I unreservedly accept your apology.

Great! Man, that’s a weight off my shoulders.

Great! Man, that’s a weight off my shoulders.

You can't say that anymore. You have to say "Person, that's a weight off my shoulders."

• Advertisement

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-boonen-defends-chris-froome-and-team-sky/

Jaysus, Tom must have a book coming out soon or is feeling a bit left out of late. A desperate attempt to stay relevant between the Sagan comments and now this.

"My daughter uses an inhaler every day." Big fecking deal. What that has to do with the Froome situation is beyond me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-boonen-defends-chris-froome-and-team-sky/

Jaysus, Tom must have a book coming out soon or is feeling a bit left out of late. A desperate attempt to stay relevant between the Sagan comments and now this.

"My daughter uses an inhaler every day." Big fecking deal. What that has to do with the Froome situation is beyond me.

Tom Boonen is a Belgian cycling legend. He's possibly only 2nd to Merckx. People ask him questions, he answers. That's all there is to it.

40 years after finishing racing Merckx is relevant in Belgium. Tom will be the same. It's whether cyclingnews translate into English that determines if we hear about it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Much more than the inhaler, it's all the other stuff culminating with froome

Brian? wrote: »
    Tom Boonen is a Belgian cycling legend. He's possibly only 2nd to Merckx. People ask him questions, he answers. That's all there is to it.

40 years after finishing racing Merckx is relevant in Belgium. Tom will be the same. It's whether cyclingnews translate into English that determines if we hear about it.

Great and all as that is, it doesn't answer my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'd agree and go with up coming book too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No. It answers your completely unnecessary criticism of Tom Boonen.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Chris Froome Salbutamol case to be resolved before the Tour de France.
    Christian Prudhomme, the Tour de France organiser, has said he is confident that Chris Froome’s salbutamol case will be resolved one way or another before this year’s race.

Speaking before the start of the Liège-Bastogne-Liège Classic, Prudhomme said: “I have said since December that we need a rapid solution. The statements of the president of the UCI indicate that there will certainly be an answer before the Tour de France.

“I have absolute confidence in the UCI to do that. The president of the UCI has said there certainly won’t be one before the Giro [d’Italia], but there certainly will be one before the Tour de France. We must have that answer.” Meanwhile, sources in Italy have indicated the Giro organisers do not feel it is likely that a ruling will be made on the Froome case while the race is actually in progress.

Froome’s adverse analytical finding for salbutamol occurred during the Tour of Spain last year. The four‑times Tour de France winner is set to start this year’s Giro – which begins in Jerusalem on 4 May – with a possible ban hanging over him, in the event that the UCI’s independent anti-doping tribunal does not rule in his favour.

The Team Sky leader has continued to train and race, finishing fourth last week in the Tour of the Alps, his final build-up event before the Giro, which he is starting for the first time since his run of Tour de France victories began, in the hope that he can land a “Grand Slam” of back to back major Tour wins. He remains convinced of his innocence in the salbutamol affair, maintaining he is certain the final verdict will go his way.

Prudhomme preferred not to give an direct response when asked straight up if he felt that a situation might arise in which, if the Froome case remained without a resolution before July, the organisers ASO might feel they should exclude Froome from the Tour under the rule that permits the organisers to deny entry to a rider or team whose presence is judged potentially detrimental to the image of the event,

Instead, he repeated his call for a rapid resolution: “We need an answer. And we are hopeful of having an answer before the start of the Tour. I’m not just in charge of the Tour, I’m president of the association of race organisers, and the organisers across the board need an answer, and as quickly as people, because the current situation doesn’t suit anyone.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/22/chris-fromme-salbutamol-case-tour-de-france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Chris Froome Salbutamol case to be resolved before the Tour de France.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/22/chris-fromme-salbutamol-case-tour-de-france

Thats just hilarious to read.
    'Rapid solution' nearly five months down the line.
    The image of he tour - given that pretty much every winner in the last 20 odd years is either a confirmed or highly suspected cheat, its a wonder it has an image to protect./

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

terrydel wrote: »
    Thats just hilarious to read.
    'Rapid solution' nearly five months down the line.
    The image of he tour - given that pretty much every winner in the last 20 odd years is either a confirmed or highly suspected cheat, its a wonder it has an image to protect./

And that is probably why HBO would be reluctant to take action themselves. You could imagine sky using this line of argument in the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

And that is probably why HBO would be reluctant to take action themselves. You could imagine sky using this line of argument in the courts.

ASO??

Advertisement