Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Inquitus wrote: »
    Double the stated limit, but only 19% more than the limit when adjusted for dehydration as far as I understand it. Based on what I have read the latter is the one that matters with regard to an AAF not the former.
    I'm surprised he survived this extreme level of post-race dehydration. The poor guy must have been like a sultana turning back into a plump grape after he got himself a drink of water, presumably after the test.
    Just goes to show he truly is one of cycling's greats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

mamax wrote: »
    I stated the facts and :), if both the uci and wada says froome did not dope then I'm happy with that
    Maybe you are letting your personal opinion of froome get in the way of the facts
    Can't wait for the tour to start :)

You didn’t state the facts. By no objective measure is Froome one of the greatest cyclists ever.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I'm feeling quite disillusioned with cycling after hearing about this today. I felt it was always possible that Froome would be cleared, given his profile, however I'm disappointed that the UCI haven't, as of yet, gone into detail as to why they cleared him. I presume this will be released in the near future?

I'm a bit suspicious about the timing of this, coming hot on the heels of ASO saying they would exclude Froome from the tour. It's as if the UCI didn't expect ASO to act and are now making sure that their biggest name is riding their biggest race.

Pa8301 wrote: »
    I'm feeling quite disillusioned with cycling after hearing about this today. I felt it was always possible that Froome would be cleared, given his profile, however I'm disappointed that the UCI haven't, as of yet, gone into detail as to why they cleared him. I presume this will be released in the near future?

I'm a bit suspicious about the timing of this, coming hot on the heels of ASO saying they would exclude Froome from the tour. It's as if the UCI didn't expect ASO to act and are now making sure that their biggest name is riding their biggest race.

It stinks

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Goingto put this here ..

No moretosay really

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1013786829664014336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

lissard wrote: »
    Watching the Tour now will be like finding a diamond embedded in a ripe turd.

I know what you are saying but Froome is no treasure IMO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

The tour is going to be a difficult watch after this. I'll wait and see Froome "struggle" for the first two weeks due to "tiredness from the Giro" before posting a miraculous comeback in the final week because he was "leaving enough in tank" the first two weeks. Honestly, I'd love to believe all this, because it would be superbly entertaining, but it's difficult not to be a cynic considering what he's achieved and how this one seems to have been miraculously brushed under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Brian? wrote: »
    By no objective measure is Froome one of the greatest cyclists ever.

Well that's patently not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Goingto put this here ..

No moretosay really

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1013786829664014336

Why did he get such long suspension for 1st offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

To me the more worrying thing is whatever defence Froome/Sky have used it may have opened the gates to a world of everyone getting off.

• Advertisement

koutoubia wrote: »
    To me the more worrying thing is whatever defence Froome/Sky have used it may have opened the gates to a world of everyone getting off.

Not if the UCI/WADA dont tell anyone what it was

I'm sure some pro conti guy will be going down soon just to balance things up

Not if the UCI/WADA dont tell anyone what it was

I'm sure some pro conti guy tha doesnt have the money to hire big lawyers will be going down soon just to balance things up

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Didn't the former Kerry footballer Aidan O'Mahony also have twice the WADA permitted level of salbutamol in his system after a big championship game a couple of years ago?... he also escaped a ban because the anti doping tribunal accepted his explanation as far as I can remember.

I don't know all the facts of O'Mahony's case and I'm also not defending Froome but why wasn't there the same public outcry over O'Mahony's case?

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Didn't the former Kerry footballer Aidan O'Mahony also have twice the WADA permitted level of salbutamol in his system after a big championship game a couple of years ago?... he also escaped a ban because the anti doping tribunal accepted his explanation as far as I can remember.

I don't know all the facts of O'Mahony's case and I'm also not defending Froome but why wasn't there the same public outcry over O'Mahony's case?

Em did O'Mahoney win the biggest bike race in the world 4 times ...
    I know to some Kerry footballers are special but I am not sure they demand the same level of public interest or outcry

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bottle job all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Em did O'Mahoney win the biggest bike race in the world 4 times ...
    I know to some Kerry footballers are special but I am not sure they demand the same level of public interest or outcry

No but he did win five All-Ireland medals.. the highest achievable honour in his chosen sport. Again I'll say I don't know all the facts of his case but I don't remember it being given very much negative media coverage in this country (Obviously a Gaelic footballer wouldn't have the same International sports profile as a 4 time tdf winner). It was a genuine question by the way I'm not accusing O'Mahoney of anything or trying to excuse Froome at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I believed in him all along. Look at you all now he has been proven innocent!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is sickening news. Absolutely disgusted to hear that Froome is going to be riding the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lusk_Doyle wrote:
    I believed in him all along. Look at you all now he has been proven innocent!

Are you on drugs or lived in a bubble your whole life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The UCI should have come out strong on this, but it suited them to have the dirt swept under the mat by WADA.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eagle eye wrote: »
    The two are not mutually exclusive...…

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

A lot of people are very hurt that Froome had no case to answer.
    Doesnt fit the narrative, you're in the anti-Froome camp no matter what.
    Doesnt matter what WADA publishes, minds are made up.

If Froome was to win his fifth Tour, then defend the Vuelta, (big ask for sure), we got something special, maybe 3rd best of all time.

Cant wait for the next forum explosion the next time he rides away from the peleton up the Alpe d'Huez!

C3PO wrote: »
    Well that's blatantly not true!

It’s entirely true. He’s an extremely successful stage race rider, particularly adept at winning Grand Tours. His record in week long stage races is pretty good, not brilliant. His record in one day races is non existent.

So no matter how you cut it, he’s nowhere near as successful as Merckx. He’s a long way behind Hinault etc.

they/them/theirs

matban wrote: »

If Froome was to win his fifth Tour, then defend the Vuelta, (big ask for sure), we got something special, maybe 3rd best of all time.

Cant wait for the next forum explosion the next time he rides away from the peleton up the Alpe d'Huez!

Yes. I’m firmly in the anti Froome camp.

But why does that matter. Froome was over the limit and escaped a ban. Other riders have tested over the limit, by smaller amounts, and been banned. It’s that simple.

It’s a disgrace.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Some of my recent performances might have raised some eyebrows but I know that I have done nothing wrong. Just like my friend Chris really. Stand up guy who has been unfairly scapegoated because of the actions of a very small number of cyclists in the past. I feel sorry for those of you who can't believe.

matban wrote: »

:

The man had an adverse finding for a drug over twice the limit and now it all just went away. I 'd applaud Froome if he were credible but he is not....not just this issue but how he appeared in the sport from nowhere at 27 with no pedigree , his ability to drop everyone and win back to back Tours while suffering from all kinds of illness. And he is not beating donkeys but pedigree talent like Dumoulin or Quintana
    in your world it just an anti Froome camp...maybe makes it easier for you to dismiss this as 'nothing to see here '..your narrative no dount

Froome has always been too good to be true in a sport full of wining doping sensations ...most of whom were never found out or only came to light by witness testimony

And the one time there is something to justify what so many who know the sport feel about his 'sensational' ability it is brushed under the carpet...no explanation nothing while other lesser riders are banned

but yeah we are all just out to get Froome and hate upon him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Brian? wrote: »
    Yes. I’m firmly in the anti Froome camp.

But why does that matter. Froome was over the limit and escaped a ban. Other riders have tested over the limit, by smaller amounts, and been banned. It’s that simple.

It’s a disgrace.

In your opinion rules have not been applied in an even handed manner, that may be true.

For me it does not take away from the fact that he's won the last three Grand Tours, true greatness in my opinion. The guy has asthma took some puffs.

I respect the zero tolerance side of the argument, just dont agree that in this case it diminishes Froome's greatness.

Well he has burst alot of bubbles ...does that count :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would really not be surprised if ssomeone rugby tackles him of the bike in france, the response outside the uk has been very negative.

And i would laugh if it happened

Advertisement