Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aside from all the noisy shouting, we're really no further forward understanding how Froome performs as well as he does.

Salbutamol is not that performance enhancing.

As for "he appeared in the sport from nowhere at 27 with no pedigree", well that just makes it even more mysterious, because you're arguing that he was always a donkey, and the only thing we know that turns donkeys into racehorses is massive amount of EPO and it would be quite surprising if a rider could take massive amounts of EPO in 2018 and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Lumen wrote: »
    Aside from all the noisy shouting, we're really no further forward understanding how Froome performs as well as he does.

As for "he appeared in the sport from nowhere at 27 with no pedigree", well that just makes it even more mysterious, because you're arguing that he was always a donkey, and the only thing we know that turns donkeys into racehorses is massive amount of EPO and it would be quite surprising if a rider could take massive amounts of EPO in 2018 and get away with it.

Why was Phil Taylor so successful at darts?
    Didnt start that early relative to other pros

Someone has to be the best, sometimes in a dominant fashion.
    In cycling it seems that guy has to be a big cheat.
    Post-Armstrong-Landis world I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

There is no evidence of what anyone is on but EPO came on the scence 30 years ago ...I am sure there are other more effective undetectable products by now across all sports

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There are other possibilities, but even with those, you'd still need to be in pretty good shape to keep turning the pedals fast enough.

Motor doping for example, with something to give the legs to spin away, would turn a world class donkey into a decent racehorse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

matban wrote: »
    In your opinion rules have not been applied in an even handed manner, that may be true.

For me it does not take away from the fact that he's won the last three Grand Tours, true greatness in my opinion. The guy has asthma took some puffs.

I respect the zero tolerance side of the argument, just dont agree that in this case it diminishes Froome's greatness.

You don’t see how being let away with breaking the rules diminishes his greatness?

He should have been stripped of the Vuelta. That’s the minimum punishment he should have received. The bare minimum.

He didn’t “have some puffs”. He “has some puffs” in every race. He was over the limit. Rules are rules, except for Froome. It’s

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I agree 100% and I believe the tdf will be a better race with him in it, in fact cycling is better with him in it :)

And I will cheer him on and hopes he wins it while being tested every day of the race as we know he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Brian? wrote: »
    You don’t see how being let away with breaking the rules diminishes his greatness?

He should have been stripped of the Vuelta. That’s the minimum punishment he should have received. The bare minimum.

He didn’t “have some puffs”. He “has some puffs” in every race. He was over the limit. Rules are rules, except for Froome. It’s

If you have evidence he broke the rules you should get in touch with WADA, they don’t seem to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mamax wrote: »
    I agree 100% and I believe the tdf will be a better race with him in it, in fact cycling is better with him in it :)

And I will cheer him on and hopes he wins it while being tested every day of the race as we know he will be.

I think you might be confusing me for a Froome fan. I just want to know what he's on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,730 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How anyone follows cycling anymore is beyond me. The sport is a drugs riddled cheaters paradise at the "top".

It's reputation is so bad that no matter what is done by whoever will never ever be enough to convince anyone it is a respectable sport.

I know it's a bit broad but it saddens and angers me to see any sport brought in to total disrepute and cycling is without doubt the worst in the world in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

...and cycling is without doubt the worst in the world in that regard.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Cycling certainly gets the worst rap, but I would bet that plenty other professional sports are rife with drug use. But it suits the vested interests not to dig into it. I guess in cycling the results became so distorted that it became indefensible, whereas in many other sports the results are not so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Most of them are on the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oh is he your friend? How often do you meet up?
    Are you part of the Sky team by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tests mean nothing if you can afford to indefinitely hire fancy lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

And we all know the testing is 100% reliable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Brian? wrote: »
    By no objective measure is Froome one of the greatest cyclists ever.

“Objectively” ... he currently holds all 3 Grand Tours ... that would be considered “greatness” in the usual measure of cycling ability!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

C3PO wrote: »
    “Objectively” ... he currently holds all 3 Grand Tours ... that would be considered “greatness” in the usual measure of cycling ability!

I agree ....Froome would go down as one ofthe greatest cyclist of all time esp if he wins this Tour

Second only to Mercx... who cycled in a time of fewer and lesser competitors

So that is why the Froome brilliance is so hard to swallow.If we accept him as legit then we have to accept he is one of the greatest cyclists if not the greatest GT rider ever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I call bollox on one of the greatest. One of the greatest grand tour riders maybe. Never done anything in any single day race that wasn't a TT. I wouldn't be his biggest fan, but Nibali has 4 GT's, 3 monuments (and another couple of podiums), a couple of national champs from current riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

I can understand that the UCI might have a vested interest in Froome being cleared but I don't see that WADA would have? I would be very interested in the reasoning behind their decision.
    Behind every dodgy decision im sure some money would be found

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve explained my position multiple times:

Great Grand Tour rider
    Good in some other stage races.
    Zero one day race wins.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

matban wrote: »
    If you have evidence he broke the rules you should get in touch with WADA, they don’t seem to agree with you.

sadly, even if you had evidence, nothing could be done. According to Ross Tucker, Sky got their legal team to nonsense the salbutamol test. That is backed up by the story Shane Stokes broke on cyclingtips yesterday that said Froome didn't even need to carry out his test to prove he could reproduce the conditions that would cause him to have a naturally occurring high salbutamol level.

Just think of the implications of that if it's true. Where does it leave the anti-doping fight? If they have attacked the salbutamol test, someone could easily fight the EPO test, and probably any other test.

The damage this does to anti-doping efforts is massive. It really is.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    I would really not be surprised if ssomeone rugby tackles him of the bike in france, the response outside the uk has been very negative.

And i would laugh if it happened
    Honestly I would find it so powerful if people just turned their backs on him as he cycled by. Throwing Urine at him or spitting at him which has happened in the recent past and also in the Giro this year just devalues the protest and gives Sky ammo to throw back.  Go all Gandhi on Sky/UCI I say
    For me really my annoyance is with the double standards and the lack of consistency and the "cute hoorism" of the governing body and the manipulation of the rules.  That's whats so frustrating for me, its not really an anti-Froome sentiment (personally I kinda like him), its the lack of consistency of the laws.
    How the foook can cycling every begin to clean up its imagine with crap like that happening, its just sends out a message of crooks overseeing cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well now, lets see what the peloton think about all this. Some of the tweets, especially about the uneven treatment of other riders, would make you hope that the clean guys would actually take a stand on this.

There is much speculation about Sky, surely the other teams have even more insight given they are actually there. So if there are suspicions then wouldn't they want them resolved?

To simply carry on as if everything is fine. The only conclusion is that the others teams/riders are happy enough with the way things are being done and handled and happy to have Froome as part of the race.

They have had protests before, sit downs before a start or go slow, when it suits them.

But we all know that nothing is going to happen.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I call bollox on one of the greatest. One of the greatest grand tour riders maybe. Never done anything in any single day race that wasn't a TT. I wouldn't be his biggest fan, but Nibali has 4 GT's, 3 monuments (and another couple of podiums), a couple of national champs from current riders.
    100% agree, he maybe and I say maybe because I don't trust him, but he maybe one of the greatest tour riders of all time but why are there many different jerseys to be won on a grand tour? Because there are many different aspects to cycling.  As a true all round great cyclist, he needs to turn his attention to 1 day races and TT also.  Its just my opinion but that for me are the characteristics of an all time great. Throwing your hat in on multiple disciplines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd love to know on what grounds sky argued that the salbutamol test was inaccurate - i would guess though that they're arguing it's not an accurate way of determining how much was taken, rather than whether it does actuall confer an advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

i'd love to know on what grounds sky argued that the salbutamol test was inaccurate - i would guess though that they're arguing it's not an accurate way of determining how much was taken, rather than whether it does actuall confer an advantage?
    I'm sure they'll release all their evidence, them being the kings of transparency and all....

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

according to Tucker some college students carried out a study on dogs (yes, dogs) whereby they could prove 15% of 'participants' returned values above the threshold. Yes, dogs.

It probably comes down to the scientific basis behind why they picked the threshold they did. It'll probably make them push the threshold out by, oh I dunno, maybe double?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Any case in law or this case involving Froome, is about winning an argument. If you throw enough money at something, muddy the waters as much as possible, extrapolate from dog study etc etc punching holes in a prosecuting isn't difficult. Add in that in professional sport, ideas of fairness/justice are a matter of pr and spin rather than ideals and you have the right environment for winning that argument.

As an analogy, if I was to get caught speeding and was 17% (or whatever the figure was wrt dehydration correction) I'd make a good go at getting off that if I was motivated to do it. It would require an disproportionate amount of time/ money and would require a lot of minute detail on calibration, certification, operator training, records etc etc.

When by using money/power to drive a truck and trailer through punishment for offences you undermine the whole system eg, Lowry's €15k fine for the level of deception is in same ball park of a plumber getting caught doing two cash jobs.

People who are upset by this, after being aware of history of cycling, would really want a reality calibration. The best thing to do is switch of completely from whatever your chosen professional sport is; no Eurosport, no new toys, new twitter feeds, no GCN previews etc.

The only rational alternative is to treat it like entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll release all their evidence, them being the kings of transparency and all....

https://twitter.com/mjshrimper/status/1014065901874962432?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ir Dr Rabin is to be believed then it certainly does call the whole thing into question.

It would appear that the level is simply made up, can be achieved by many natural means, and as such does nothing to indicate cheating.

If true, then it is deeply unfair to the athletes. Froome has had a cloud over him (remember there were calls for him to be excluding from the Giro) from what essentially is an unfair testing limit.

That is even before Slater went and actually checked out the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

1bryan wrote: »
    according to Tucker some college students carried out a study on dogs (yes, dogs) whereby they could prove 15% of 'participants' returned values above the threshold. Yes, dogs.

It probably comes down to the scientific basis behind why they picked the threshold they did. It'll probably make them push the threshold out by, oh I dunno, maybe double?

Are you sure it wasn't Dawgs ?

Advertisement