Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Froome tests positive for Salbutamol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Actually Evans was prob clean

In fairness there are alot of clean riders out there

But by the same token there are riders who are not clean...law of averages

People cheat and also people want to win or are under alot of pressure to win

And in some circumstances riders want a contract

I think with SKY its not cheating in the the old manner that is the issue but its gaming the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

When you look at other sports and the likes of <snip> and the usual suspects at the Olympics I sometimes wonder why it is cycling that gets all the flak.

Soccer, Rugby...pretty much every competitive sport is riddled these days.

But now the wind has changed and alot of comms and fans are suggesting Froome has been unfairly treated by UCI and Wada whose test was at fault

Hard to see any credibilty at all for WADA and future testing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

MPFGLB wrote: »
    But now the wind has changed and alot of comms and fans are suggesting Froome has been unfairly treated by UCI and Wada whose test was at fault

Hard to see any credibilty at all for WADA and future testing

That's if they had any credibility to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MPFGLB wrote:

I haven't heard one person suggest that to me. They are giving out about WADA for failing but fully believe that Froome has got away with it.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I haven't heard one person suggest that to me. They are giving out about WADA for failing but fully believe that Froome has got away with it.

People apologising on twitter fordoubting Froomefor one
    Also comms and people like Vaughters suggesting UCI /WADA at fault and somehow Froome hard done by

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm seeing very little of this, in fact this is the first time I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

People apologising on twitter fordoubting Froomefor one
    Also comms and people like Vaughters suggesting UCI /WADA at fault and somehow Froome hard done by

I don't see how a realistic case can be made for this.

He gave the adverse reading and was given 8/9 months to explain why. He kept all his titles and amassed more along the way. I think his treatment has been extremely fair.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm seeing very little of this, in fact this is the first time I've seen it.

Chris Boardman on ITV says he has gone from villan to victim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Pray for Froome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Means nothing, he's very much in the minority, he and Kirby.

Off the Ball saying the course today was littered with Froome out signs, and there was cheers at the finish area when Froome went down. But at least they were cheers, not boos like he got at the team reveal day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Then Chris Boardman is a bigger gob****e than I realised.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Je suis Charlie Froome

Morto helpturn the tide in favour of Froome...

https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/status/1015531367868792832

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

David Walsh says he now regrets ever doubting Chris Froome
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/david-walsh-doubting-chris-froome/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I'd hate to go for dinner with David. How much time would he spend dithering over what to order?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mmm he had faith in lance and also Froome. He’s a believer

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Think there is a brewing storm coming, lot of journos have been very quiet. Could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm sure if "our respective villas are just 500 metres apart in Portugal" that in itself is proof enough that he must be the right sort of chap, and not at all the type to cheat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

david walsh can smell performance enhancing drugs from 1km away, so knows well that anyone who lives closer than that would be detecting if they were on the juice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

david walsh can smell performance enhancing drugs from 1km away, so knows well that anyone who lives closer than that would be detecting if they were on the juice.
    Either that, or Froome has proved to be a great source of insider information and gossip, and Walsh does not want to isolate himself from such a valuable source.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

recedite wrote: »
    Either that, or Froome has proved to be a great source of insider information and gossip, and Walsh does not want to isolate himself from such a valuable source.

All that means is that Walsh is a Gossip columnist rather than a journalist. It really is shocking that supposed journalists are presenting such emotive views as if it was in someway important to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm sure if "our respective villas are just 500 metres apart in Portugal" that in itself is proof enough that he must be the right sort of chap, and not at all the type to cheat.

Dry sh1te in shock revelation - he's actually not a dry sh1te and is able to laugh and joke with people.

WTF has his charisma or otherwise got to do with the situation? This is a more a story about how I love my great mate Chris, by David Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Dry sh1te in shock revelation - he's actually not a dry sh1te and is able to laugh and joke with people.

WTF has his charisma or otherwise got to do with the situation? This is a more a story about how I love my great mate Chris, by David Walsh.

Has anyone ever crawled up their own arse to the extent Walsh has? The man is narcissistic to the nth degree. He thinks hes part of the story now rather than merely telling it. Hes nearly as repugnant as Brailsford. Nearly, matching that snake for repugnance would be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

He basically admits it in the article.

He says he was asked if he'd miss being at the Tour this year.

His answer "This is complicated because it involves my relationship with Chris Froome"

He then goes on to say "I doubted him. That was a judgement call I regret"

Contrary to what Walsh claims on Twitter he did not print an apology. The words "sorry" or "apologise" are noticeably absent from the article.
    He hints that Froome may be innocent (to get back in with him??) but falls short of saying it (he doesn't want to look an idiot if/when the truth comes out)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

terrydel wrote: »
    Has anyone ever crawled up their own arse to the extent Walsh has? The man is narcissistic to the nth degree. He thinks hes part of the story now rather than merely telling it. Hes nearly as repugnant as Brailsford. Nearly, matching that snake for repugnance would be impossible.

It's great that no-one has lost their sense of perspective in this debate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I like Walsh, think he writes well. Lost his sense of perspective with cycling but was always a fan. In many ways we expect journo's to have higher standards and principles than we have, Kimmage stood up for his and lost his job and his home, how many of us would do that ? I certainly would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

To my mind, Paul Kimmage became obsessed and totally lost his perspective and as a consequence his writing became one dimensional!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

C3PO wrote: »
    To my mind, Paul Kimmage became obsessed and totally lost his perspective and as a consequence his writing became one dimensional!

everything he writes? Like, absolutely everything he writes?

I'd agree that he loses the run of himself when he gets a bee in his bonnet about certain things (or more specifically, certain people), but he's one of the only journalists left out there willing to fight the good fight for the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would go the other way, I think he is a good journalist, constructs a story, asks questions. He does get a bee in his bonnet but good journalists do.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't like him as a person having talked to people who knew him growing up, and hopefully he has changed. Some of the stories of his youth do not paint him as a nice person at all but then I am sure there are stories about me that don't paint me in a good light either.

The key thing is though, I don't let my personal view of Kimmage take away from some of the genuinely great work he does. He seems driven and single minded, and despite his tone, if the evidence shows something else, he will go somewhere else.

Advertisement