Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the worst christmas present you gave or received?

• 13-12-2017 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭

My wife got me an inflatable sumo wrestling suit for christmas one year.

sumo-wrestler-inflatable-costume--mw-135158-1.jpg

It was kinda funny, but there's a point where you both realise that it was a mistake

I bought my brother and his then girlfriend expensive costumes from an expensive costume shop once. A gladiator and a 60s Hippie.

I thought, sure they get invited to costume parties sometimes, this will come in useful.
    Nope.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did she buy you just the one suit? Or was there a second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ive said this before in a previous thread with the same title but it was a Robbie Williams dvd instead of a Robin Williams dvd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

German cookbook (received)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

When I was 10 I think my nan (who was going senile at the time, although I was unaware but she was a nasty old buzzard) gave me a pack of tampons for christmas! Being that age and also a male, I literally had no idea what they were or what they were for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

razorblunt wrote: »
    Did she buy you just the one suit? Or was there a second?

Just the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Gave: Nipples Tassles
    Received: "Jingle My Bells" socks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Gave: Nipples Tassles
    Received: "Jingle My Bells" socks

The context of who gave the nipple tassles seems important here.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

A cup with the Avon logo on it that I know the person got for free and the greatest hits CD of the Scottish band Texas,don't think I have listened to a song of theirs in my life,doubt I took the plastic wrapping off the Cd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was given a men's Insignia aftershave and shower gel set. I am female and was 14 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A size 20 dressing gown from partner's mother. I'm a size 8. Suspiciously enough SHE'S a size 20 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The Life of Christ in Cats tea towel.

85_8066_w450.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

When I was 12, after hearing my mother discussing calories in food and losing a little weight for a wedding, I got her a book on how to lose five stone in five months (or something similar). Charming.

Worst I received was not a bad present per se but I was convinced I was getting a Raleigh Burner for Christmas one year, but got a Super Deluxe instead. I acted like I loved it but when out of sight I cried. Spoiled brat that I was. However, in the end I fell in love with that bike as it had a long saddle (which I convinced myself made it Harley Davidson esque) and so meant I could give backers without having to cycle with my balls hovering so close to the crossbar.

Plus it also had back peddle brakes :cool:

super-deluxe-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Was around 12/13 and wanted a Villa jersey. Rich aunt asked about a month prior what we wanted and I told her. Christmas eve got handed a nice wrapped prezzie, soft like a jersey. All excited I ripped it open, whats in here I thought. A lovely hand knitted jumper thats what. It never saw the light of day again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

When I was 7 I got a vacuum cleaner and an iron/ironing board set. I wanted a Scalextric and told my auntie as much.

"You're a girl".

Yeah and ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Nothing. My brother once left my Christmas present behind in Dublin (we live in Cork). We were doing a Kris Kringle thing where we only got one present each so I was the only one with nothing under the tree. I didn't get it until May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I received a car play set one year from Santa, looked fantastic on the box but Mr (& Mrs) Santy had a few too many of the Guinness I left out (and more) and decided to put the car play set together to have it ready for the next morning.

Cue stickers everywhere in the wrong place, was like the sticker set to come with it got sick all over the set itself. Certainly not the worst present as I loved it but was very curious as to why it came out like this.

Elves :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I received a car play set one year from Santa, looked fantastic on the box but Mr (& Mrs) Santy had a few too many of the Guinness I left out (and more) and decided to put the car play set together to have it ready for the next morning.

Cue stickers everywhere in the wrong place, was like the sticker set to come with it got sick all over the set itself. Certainly not the worst present as I loved it but was very curious as to why it came out like this.

Elves :confused::confused:

Mad for the gargle this time of the year they are!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Worst one I ever got was a single blank VHS tape from my Aunty. She said "You can record whatever you like!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

When I was 10 I think my nan (who was going senile at the time, although I was unaware but she was a nasty old buzzard) gave me a pack of tampons for christmas! Being that age and also a male, I literally had no idea what they were or what they were for.
    Was given a men's Insignia aftershave and shower gel set. I am female and was 14 at the time.

looks like Granny just mixed up the stickers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

When I was 11 or twelve received a doll from my aunt (I'm male). Threw a bit of a tantrum after she left and fired it over the hedge, in a large part due to my mother goading me.

Got my own back somewhat, or so I thought, as my aunt called my mother a few days later, apparently a girly female cousin had gotten an action man and wasn't impressed and by any chance did I have her doll. Was long gone at that stage so I sniggered as my mother tried to come up with an explanation as to why it couldn't be handed over.

Thought it was great craic until it dawned on me that without the swap I wouldn't be getting old Eagle Eye either...

• Advertisement
Advertisement