Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC heat controls and cameras

Options
  • 13-12-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi - I have a HKC Securecomm alarm for the past few years and all works very well. I use the app too and no problems.

I am thinking about adding a camera to the house -

will this detect motion when alarmed and save to cloud?
    Will this allow me to log on to camera at any time and monitor the house

I am also considering adding a smart heating control to the system so I can turn the heating on/off remotely.
    Does anyone have any experience on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

will this detect motion when alarmed and save to cloud?
    The camera PIR will take 3 pictures in quick succession when it detects motion and send them to the app on your phone.
    Will this allow me to log on to camera at any time and monitor the house

You can get the camera PIRs to take pictures anytime by using the app.
    I am also considering adding a smart heating control to the system so I can turn the heating on/off remotely.

Good idea.
    Does anyone have any experience on this?

Yes. You need an alarm cable from the alarm panel to dive a relay with a 12VDC coil. This relay will activate the boiler.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Here is what the internals of the PIR camera look like:

IMG_6415.jpg

It requires two batteries, one for the camera, and one for the PIR detector.

Activation of the PIR resulted in a "3 shot burst" s shown below.
    The picture quality is not great, but is more than good enough to verify that the alarm event is genuine.

Remember, a higher quality picture would use more bandwidth.

Here are the results:

PIR1.jpg

PIR2.jpg

PIR3.jpg

Images captured from Alarm Event 'Alarm Z006 pir landing' on 10 December 2016 15:30:40

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

On the heating front, surely a Nest/Hive etc, would be a far better choice and give a much greater level of control? Or is there some specific reason I'm missing that you'd want it through the alarm panel?

On the heating front, surely a Nest/Hive etc, would be a far better choice and give a much greater level of control?

A better choice at a cost. These units cost over €200. If you already have a HCK alarm this feature can be added at little additional cost (assuming the wiring suits).

This forum more suited this home automation type discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

2011 wrote: »
    A better choice at a cost. These units cost over €200. If you already have a HCK alarm this feature can be added at little additional cost (assuming the wiring suits).

This forum more suited this home automation type discussion.

does it have to be wired or can it be wireless?

• Advertisement

does it have to be wired or can it be wireless?

HKC do not have a wireless option that will allow the panel to activate a relay.

Advertisement