Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminids Question

Options
  • 13-12-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Most of the news reports I've seen have said tonight is the night to observe the geminids asteroids.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get up tonight to see them. Will they still be visible tomorrow night/fri morning instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yes, typically hourly rates roughly half each night after the peak. So tomorrow will still be good to try see them if its clear. After midnight is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Might have just seen an excellent one east to west over north Dublin. Full streak with some break up at the end. No sound heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

I seen one at Aprox 18:45 from Athboy, Co. Meath. Moved from north East to south west Aprox
    Wasn’t crazy fast moving either

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

robclay26 wrote: »
    I seen one at Aprox 18:45 from Athboy, Co. Meath. Moved from north East to south west Aprox
    Wasn’t crazy fast moving either

Happened to be going south on the M7 at about this time. Myself & the driver saw something in the sky travelling in the direction you described. Thought it was a helicopter at first but it was too fast to be man made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

tricky D wrote: »
    Might have just seen an excellent one east to west over north Dublin. Full streak with some break up at the end. No sound heard.

Do you hear them sometimes ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Do you hear them sometimes ?
    From Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoroid
    Acoustic manifestationsSound generated by a meteor in the upper atmosphere, such as a sonic boom, typically arrives many seconds after the visual light from a meteor disappears. Occasionally, as with the Leonid meteor shower of 2001,"crackling", "swishing", or "hissing" sounds have been reported,[45] occurring at the same instant as a meteor flare. Similar sounds have also been reported during intense displays of Earth's auroras.[46][47][48][49]
    The one I saw was an excellent streak which broke up at the end which might have produced a sonic boom. I waited 5 mins (equivalent to 60 miles of sound travel) but heard nothing. Another reason to mention sound is to diiscern from fireworks.

Advertisement