Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Deeds

• 13-12-2017 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

Im in a bit of a situation and looking for some advice,

12 years ago myself and my now X got a mortgage. The house is in significant negative equity, The relationship ended and I moved out about three years ago. Long story short she has since gotten legal aid and is dragging me to court to remove my name from the deeds. We still have the mortgage together I don't contribute anymore as I have my own rent to pay. She is getting married next year and refuses to attempt to go through the process properly.

I have been told that there is a chance that she can get my name off the deeds but this will leave me in a situation. It would mean that I would be liable for half the mortgage for the rest of my life and never have any property to show for it. Meanwhile my x and her husband will live happily ever after.

Im looking to know if anyone else has been through anything similar and can offer any advice, if you don't have anything useful and constructive to say then please don't reply.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Contact a solicitor, thats all I can say I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

She is getting married next year and refuses to attempt to go through the process properly

If as you say she has gotten legal aid and is dragging you through the courts, it is probably safe to assume that she is following the process! You need to get legal advice ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

it is possible that her new husband and she together might be able to refinance the mortgage. You could still be on the hook for some of the negative equity but looking on the bright side, this might be an opportunity to the whole thing including the mortgage sorted out for once and for all.

You definitely need to see a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Hi all,

Im in a bit of a situation and looking for some advice,

12 years ago myself and my now X got a mortgage. The house is in significant negative equity, The relationship ended and I moved out about three years ago. Long story short she has since gotten legal aid and is dragging me to court to remove my name from the deeds. We still have the mortgage together I don't contribute anymore as I have my own rent to pay. She is getting married next year and refuses to attempt to go through the process properly.

I have been told that there is a chance that she can get my name off the deeds but this will leave me in a situation. It would mean that I would be liable for half the mortgage for the rest of my life and never have any property to show for it. Meanwhile my x and her husband will live happily ever after.

Im looking to know if anyone else has been through anything similar and can offer any advice, if you don't have anything useful and constructive to say then please don't reply.

thanks in advance

To get your name off the title she will probably pay off the joint mortgage and take out what is effectively a new loan in her name only... not sure what the issue is here considering you no longer contribute to the mortgage.

Advertisement