Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie's first defense tonight: on Sky Sports Action and Mix from 1800 hrs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not seen many of her Pro do fights. What is going on, is it the lack of competition it is she just not progressing?
    Or is this an off night?

Explain? She just retained the belt at a headline, what else literally could she have done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I wonder does she know who the other champions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Katie V Amir Khan in Croke park after christmas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We are being a bit harsh on her, she scored 97 points by 2 judges which means she won 8 rounds, the other had her at 98 which means she only lost 1 round in that judge's eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    Am I off thinking that there is some real vulnerability about Katie?

Lacking physicality, strength and ruggedness?

Yeah I definitely think so. It's not a good trait to like a tear up when you can't punch and she always gets drawn into a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

McCaskill was right about the score cards and about the length of the rounds. Three minute rounds would have suited her. Bellew right about the ref.
    Not seen many of her Pro do fights. What is going on, is it the lack of competition it is she just not progressing?
    Or is this an off night?

Not an off night. She wasn't 100% against Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Katie was Savage tonight... Mccaskill had a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Very ungracious from McCaskel never bothered to acknowledge the winner after the fight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Katie V Amir Khan in Croke park after christmas

Katie vs McGregor in Croke Park on paddy's day, after the hurling and football

You heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

She's had a lot of fights this year to be fair to her. Could probably do with a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

RoryMac wrote: »
    Think Eddie Hearn was one of the judges!

Cards a lot more comfortable than the fight but Katie deserved the win even though it wasn't a great performance

She said it was her toughest fight yet , the rough and tumble of it made it very very messy and I don't think she has ever come across that before ,

Ref was poor and could of cracked down on some of the rough play from Mc , especially since he was happy to deduct the point for holding , made even worse by Mc constantly dipping her head down into Katie

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Not sure what fight your watching :confused:

Like McCaskill said in the interview, no way was that as one sided as the score suggests.
    McCaskill was definitely the stronger fighter.
    Fair play to Taylor however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

McCaskill very sluggish and ponderous...lucky for Katie..

Funnily enough I was just thinking today of 'that' fight she had with Queen Underwood at the World's, and how Taylor looking so much stronger now then back then, wouldn't struggle like that anymore.

McCaskill was 2 1/2 lbs inside the limit... she's clearly not a big Lightweight, so it really is worrying how physically tough Katie found it in there. Yes she fought the wrong fight and didn't use her ability in large parts, but you'd hope physically she'd have enough to get the better of that type of fought anyway.

I have to agree with what a poster mentioned earlier about Chantelle Cameron being a dangerous opponent for her. Katie would need to box a hell of a lot better than that to beat Cameron !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

backspin. wrote: »
    Very ungracious from McCaskel never bothered to acknowledge the winner after the fight.

This. Very whiny!

Congrats Katie you BEAST :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Clareman wrote: »
    We are being a bit harsh on her, she scored 97 points by 2 judges which means she won 8 rounds, the other had her at 98 which means she only lost 1 round in that judge's eyes

Totally agree, it was a tough fight, she was very in the face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

She's had a lot of fights this year to be fair to her. Could probably do with a rest.

Was thinking that too. She's been fighting every few weeks. Think she'll take a well earned rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That ref was a b*ll*cks. It was a hard fight to box as that American made it very difficult holding grabbing clashing heads etc... and the ref said nothing to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It wasn't the easiest fight for Taylor, or the best fight to watch but I think it was comfortable enough for her.

She took the best McCaskill had to offer with that shot, and was fairly aware straight after to duck under another.

I think that the 2 minute rounds are a bit short too.

Just because she is docked a point doesn't mean she loses the round 10-8.
    I'd have given her that round.

It's more likely that that judge scored the deduction round 9-9 and her had her losing an earlier one 10-9 IMO

Just because she is docked a point doesn't mean she loses the round 10-8.
    I'd have given her that round.

It's more likely that that judge scored the deduction round 9-9 and her had her losing an earlier one 10-9 IMO

I think it was 98-91 and 97-92x2 which I think means she lost 2 and 1 rounds, Taylor is working off a possible total of 99 points against 100 for get opponent, or am I missing something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

To my untrained eye Katie was a bit more careful in that fight. She was not rushing in and getting hit quite as much as she has in her previous fights were she just rushed in. Defo a learning curve and I think that fight will bring her on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thought Katie fought a terrible fight, played into McCaskill's hands. Very naive. Felt like they didnt do their homework. Felt the scorecards were not fair to McCaskill. Katie could have lost this. Ref was awful.

I think it was 98-91 and 97-92x2 which I think means she lost 2 and 1 rounds, Taylor is working off a possible total of 99 points against 100 for get opponent, or am I missing something??

I think it was the 7th?
    So say the judges score the round 10-9 to Taylor but the ref deducts a point, that makes it 9-9.
    Of course if the judge had already scored the round 10-9 to McCaskill then the point deduction makes it 10-8.
    I’d say in the case of the 98-91 Judge, it’s more likely that he scored one of the earlier (more dominant) rounds to McCaskill 10-9 and the 7th 9-9 with the other 8 rounds 10-9 to Taylor which adds up to 98-91.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Like McCaskill said in the interview, no way was that as one sided as the score suggests.
    McCaskill was definitely the stronger fighter.
    Fair play to Taylor however.

It was.
    Katie boxed. McCaskill Didn’t.
    It was obvious what McCaskill was trying to do. She knew she couldn’t outbox her so she tried to frustrate her by shortening the distance and brawling, and to her credit she did frustrate Katie, along with everyone else watching, but she showed nothing to deserve a win, or even a rematch for that matter. Fair play to Katie, she kept her cool and picked her apart. Taylor was cool, composed and showed real class.

I think it was the 7th?
    So say the judges score the round 10-9 to Taylor but the ref deducts a point, that makes it 9-9.
    Of course if the judge had already scored the round 10-9 to McCaskill then the point deduction makes it 10-8.
    I’d say in the case of the 98-91 Judge, it’s more likely that he scored one of the earlier (more dominant) rounds to McCaskill 10-9 and the 7th 9-9 with the other 8 rounds 10-9 to Taylor which adds up to 98-91.

Ahhh right, I wouldn't know enough about boxing to be able to call the exact rounds that were won but I think Taylor was on top for the first 4/5 rounds, then dropped off for 2/3 and then dominated again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

kerplun k wrote: »
    It was.
    Katie boxed. McCaskill Didn’t.
    It was obvious what McCaskill was trying to do. She knew she couldn’t outbox her so she tried to frustrate her by shortening the distance and brawling, and to her credit she did frustrate Katie, along with everyone else watching, but she showed nothing to deserve a win, or even a rematch for that matter. Fair play to Katie, she kept her cool and picked her apart. Taylor was cool, composed and showed real class.

Well said. I couldn't put the words together myself.

Katie can box and box well it just depends on the opponent if they want to box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Imo its down to a lack of power coincidentally enough as the bucks here are always onto you about your love of power :P

Having enough of it to create an air of doubt is a great asset to have in the pro ranks though.

She just finds it so hard to discourage her opponents from coming at her. I really thought her near abandonment of the very good body work seen in the Sanchez fight was an odd move tonight especially as Katie seems to be able to sit down on her body punches with greater ease than firing up top and normally they're her go to discouragement shot.

Yeah I definitely think so. It's not a good trait to like a tear up when you can't punch and she always gets drawn into a fight.

I get the same feeling watching conlon against good opposition but we've not seen good opposition since he turned pro. However thats completely understandable given he's only starting out.

I do feel Katie has a solid chin though.

Anyone see better angles of Katie getting "wobbled" I felt she stumble on McCaskills lead left foot on first viewing but I was watching a dodgy stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Here's the match now on youtube, if anyone didn't see it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Opponent was tough And awkward and done well, especially for a part timer and dragged Katie into a dog fight.

Katie will find it tough to keep defending her title without a jab, power and a lack of body shots. She's very open when coming forward at times and was lucky not to have got caught a few more times tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Can anyone give me a rundown of Ross Enamait. I haven’t seen him in many corners. I’m not saying he is a bad coach, I just don’t know anything about him?

Advertisement