Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie's first defense tonight: on Sky Sports Action and Mix from 1800 hrs.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Anyone see better angles of Katie getting "wobbled" I felt she stumble on McCaskills lead left foot on first viewing but I was watching a dodgy stream.

That's what I thought too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Is this true that McCaskill still has her day job as a financial banker & trains later on in the day & just sees this as a hobby, as she heard about Katie by two irish guys in a gym, is the story going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

backspin. wrote: »
    Very ungracious from McCaskel never bothered to acknowledge the winner after the fight.

Nothing likable about that woman.

I think part of Katie's "problem" appears to be repetitiveness. She seems to have the same moves and angles and modes of attack pretty much all the time. There's something a bit predictable, and you could easily see her getting timed and hit heavy.

Her attacks and punching techniques following the same pattern all the time, and with the same explosive type speed and effort, but lacking accuracy and heaviness.

Mixing it up and stepping it down every so often and using feints more and digging the body better and planting the feet to deliver 1-2 shots as opposed to those pitter patter speedy flurries, that mostly hit arms and air, as well as tiring you a little more....

She is what she is, and at this stage of her career it's not likely that she will change too much, but a few little tweaks and changes could happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nice video but why have a full time job? Why not put your full effort into boxing as with boxing you only have a short career and you would be more mentally and physically able if you just stuck to boxing and then when you retire from boxing go work in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

walshb wrote: »
    Nothing likable about that woman.

I agree all mouth and no boxing skills. Katie did a job on her. She seems like a nasty piece of work. Not a patch on our Katie.

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I agree all mouth and no boxing skills. Katie did a job on her. She seems like a nasty piece of work. Not a patch on our Katie.

Through the build up, and to the fight and post fight just something unlikable about her..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pac_man wrote: »
    "Our Katie" :D. What did her opponent do that was so out of line?

I think folks were just sick of listening to her bullsh*t. She was all talk and did nothing to back it up. That stuff really grates on people.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I think folks were just sick of listening to her bullsh*t. She was all talk and did nothing to back it up. That stuff really grates on people.

And she was a right sore loser!

What did she say?

She basically talked her way into the fight. You can read about it in the following piece.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/jessica-mccaskill-went-to-bizarre-lengths-in-goading-katie-taylor-into-title-fight-and-this-could-be-just-the-start-36404793.html

Then afterwards, rather than admit she was out of her depth, she suggested the judges got the decision wrong and just stopped short of saying she should have won, and then outrageously claimed she should have taken the decision out of the judges hands by knocking her out, as if that was an option.

Nothing against her myself, I thought she was great craic, and done well to generate some hype for the fight, but if you can’t back it up it means nothing and the trash talk just becomes a bit annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

"Our Katie" :D. What did her opponent do that was so out of line?
    I used the term our Katie because I feel she is a great ambassador not just women's boxing but also for our country. Especially the way she conducts herself weather she wins or looses a fight. If you saw the fight i think you know what her opponent did or didn't say. The other OP mentioned it in another post so I won't go into that again except to say that I found her disrespectful to her opponent and failed to except she was out fought by the skill and boxing techniques of Katie Taylor. That's just my opinion.

What did she say? Your "Nothing likable about that woman" comment smacks of ignorance.

You took my comment a little too literally...

I was meaning more regarding everything about the fight...

Pre, present and post..

Came across the whole journey as an asshole IMO..

Nothing to do with ignorance on my part. Maybe a little to do with presumptuousness on your part...

I don’t even know if that’s a word, or the right word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If McCaskill riled people up, then she did her job well and performed her role. People talk about the low profile of women’s boxing and the lack of interest and now complain when a fighter is actually doing something to enhance it. It might not be particularly noble, but like what was said above, that’s how the wheels of boxing spin. Brian Peters says as much in that article. They need a lot more where that came from.

She calls someone out and couldn't back it up. It happens all the time in boxing. If it really grates on you then you are watching the wrong sport.

I don't think she contests the result of the fight, a question was posed in that the scorecards don't reflect how the fight went. She felt like others, that the scorecards were wide.

I don’t have a problem with the way she called Taylor out, as I said in my last post I found it quite entertaining, but she didn’t do anything to back it up, and then when she was outclassed, rather than congratulate Taylor, she said the following

“I I thought it was closer. I definitely rocked her, But I shouldn't have left it to the judges. I thought Katie wanted to fight. Katie ran a lot and potshotted, I thought beforehand that she wanted a fight in the middle of the ring."

You can’t deny these comments are a bit ungracious. Basically she was a sore loser,

There was also some unsavory comments from her corner

“We came all the way over here, she don't want to fight, she's f**king, she's a princess, knock her out. Let's go."

It was poor form to blame everyone else and not acknowledge Taylor’s performance. She wasn’t good enough, but rather than take responsibility and admit she was second best she continued to ridicule Taylor and blame everyone else but herself.

And still an asshole...conflation isn’t needed.

Her being an asshole generated more interest in a fight that didn’t have much interest to begin with...

If McCaskill riled people up, then she did her job well and performed her role. People talk about the low profile of women’s boxing and the lack of interest and now complain when a fighter is actually doing something to enhance it. It might not be particularly noble, but like what was said above, that’s how the wheels of boxing spin. Brian Peters says as much in that article. They need a lot more where that came from.

It’s a good point, women’s boxing needs more people like McCaskill, her pre fight stuff was great, but I think people felt she was a little ungracious in defeat, especially after all the trash talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Nice video but why have a full time job? Why not put your full effort into boxing as with boxing you only have a short career and you would be more mentally and physically able if you just stuck to boxing and then when you retire from boxing go work in the bank.

There is F*** all money in women’s pro boxing in general. I doubt normal purses even pay for their training expenses.

I'm only quoting what you said. Your "NOTHING" likable comment is way off for what she did both inside and outside the ring.

Well, maybe I gave you too much credit for thinking that you’d twig what I meant.

I’ll spell it out more clearly next time...

For a storm in a teacup (which, btw I agree with) you seem to be pretty insistent about it...

She came across unlikable to me from what I saw, heard and read throughout the events...

You don’t agree. Big deal....and nothing to do with moving goalposts...I’m clear as crystal here..

At no point does she say that the judges got the decision wrong. She stated that the scorecards were wide. Her analysis on how the fight went was spot on.She wanted a scrap, Katie throws quick combinations and ran, that's what shes good at. It hardly makes her out to be a sore loser

I never said that she said the judges got the decision wrong. I said she stopped short of it, and was ungracious for claiming Taylor ran from her, and didn’t bother acknowledging her performance.
    Was this said in between a round? If that's what it takes to motivate a fighter then whats wrong with that? It's a fight, not a tickling contest.

It was. but obviously it didn’t f**king work :D
    She might as well been in a tickling contest, because she certainly wasn’t boxing.
    I'm not being funny but it was probably the first time she ever had a mic in front of her, directly after a fight. Full of adrenaline/emotion which is going to be affecting her ability to be thinking straight. She somehow forgets to acknowledge Taylors win to which shes not obliged to do so.She did this afterwards btw. I think your creating a storm in a teacup.

And yet most combat fighters do, still no words of congratulating on social media or public comments. Maybe she said it personally, but this certainly wasn’t shown in the ring after the fight, so I highly doubt it.

You can defend her until the cows come home, but people saying she acted like a sore loser is a completely valid point. And that’s me done with the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I don’t think her intent was to come across as likeable in any way. She’s performing an act and is a different person entirely away from the ring. She and her corner act the way they do to enhance opportunities and make the most of whatever talent she has. That’s the impression I got anyway.

Probably fair enough to call her a sore loser but I bet she wouldn’t apologize for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

She basically talked her way into the fight. You can read about it in the following piece.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/jessica-mccaskill-went-to-bizarre-lengths-in-goading-katie-taylor-into-title-fight-and-this-could-be-just-the-start-36404793.html

Then afterwards, rather than admit she was out of her depth, she suggested the judges got the decision wrong and just stopped short of saying she should have won, and then outrageously claimed she should have taken the decision out of the judges hands by knocking her out, as if that was an option.

Nothing against her myself, I thought she was great craic, and done well to generate some hype for the fight, but if you can’t back it up it means nothing and the trash talk just becomes a bit annoying.

I think she had a decent chance to knock Katie out to be fair. Katie was constantly going to the mattresses with her - horrible tactics against a fighter like McCaskill.

I also agreed with McCaskill that (a) judging was harsh - it was a closer fight than the scorecard said (even with the benefit of a docked point) and, (b) her best chance to win probably was to knock Katie out m. Nothing wrong in revealing that was her idea: fighters have to believe in themselves. She got closer to a chance at that then I ever would have thought before the fight.

Nothing wrong with cards. Like so many people, McCaskill a bit thick as regards how rds are marked...some close rds in the fight, but overall Katie won most via 10/9, leading to wide scores...

Katie was for me doing enough to win 8-9 rds...competitive were many..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

McCaskill may have talked herself into the fight, but anything she said/done was pretty harmless and Taylor seemed fairly unbothered by it despite the 'she hasn't left me alone for the last year'.
    If McCaskill was actually trying to get Taylor riled up she'd of made plenty of comments about her father....but instead not a single one.

I thought the fight was closer than the judges had it (96-93 Taylor on my card), and I'm sure plenty of others would agree with that, so there's nothing wrong with her voicing that opinion. As you said yourself she stopped short of saying she should of won.
    Saying she should of taken the decision out of the judges hands, is merely a way of saying she only blames herself for losing, because regardless of scoring she could have won by a different method anyway.
    I don't believe Taylor was as hurt as it seemed when she was caught by that left hook, but if anything that is evidence that a knockout probably was McCaskill's best chance of victory.

Can't back it up ?, almost every fight ends with one fighter who couldn't back it up !
    What we had here, was a relative novice (only 26 amateur fights, and 6 previous in the pros) get in the ring with a World champion and former Olympic Gold medallist. She proceeded to give her the toughest fight of her pro career, one some rounds, rocked her on at least one occasions and force Taylor to dig deep to get the win !
    McCaskill may not have won the fight, but she backed up far more than what most of us expected.

Also if we're talking of fighters being ungracious in interviews, Taylor herself commented about 'fighters of this level shouldn't be beating me' after losing in the Olympics. That's a far more disrespectful comment imo.
    But fighters are emotional after fights, especially after loses, so we really should take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Big Ears wrote: »

Also if we're talking of fighters being ungracious in interviews, Taylor herself commented about 'fighters of this level shouldn't be beating me' after losing in the Olympics. That's a far more disrespectful comment imo.
    But fighters are emotional after fights, especially after loses, so we really should take what they say with a pinch of salt.

I remember that comment and I think I mentioned it as a little arrogant and disrespectful.

Particularly when the opponent put on a very good display, albeit a losing one in my eyes. Taylor almost making out that "on her day" she wins without doubt.

McCaskill may have talked herself into the fight, but anything she said/done was pretty harmless and Taylor seemed fairly unbothered by it despite the 'she hasn't left me alone for the last year'.
    If McCaskill was actually trying to get Taylor riled up she'd of made plenty of comments about her father....but instead not a single one.

I thought the fight was closer than the judges had it (96-93 Taylor on my card), and I'm sure plenty of others would agree with that, so there's nothing wrong with her voicing that opinion. As you said yourself she stopped short of saying she should of won.
    Saying she should of taken the decision out of the judges hands, is merely a way of saying she only blames herself for losing, because regardless of scoring she could have won by a different method anyway.
    I don't believe Taylor was as hurt as it seemed when she was caught by that left hook, but if anything that is evidence that a knockout probably was McCaskill's best chance of victory.

Can't back it up ?, almost every fight ends with one fighter who couldn't back it up !
    What we had here, was a relative novice (only 26 amateur fights, and 6 previous in the pros) get in the ring with a World champion and former Olympic Gold medallist. She proceeded to give her the toughest fight of her pro career, one some rounds, rocked her on at least one occasions and force Taylor to dig deep to get the win !
    McCaskill may not have won the fight, but she backed up far more than what most of us expected.

"I really should be beating those girls but again, it's very hard to talk about the fight when I'm just outside of it. When the fight is finished, obviously when you're inside boxing, it probably looks a lot different from the outside, I'm not sure, but the judging is very subjective and just congratulations to her," she said.

But Taylor added: "I'm not finished yet, that's for sure".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote: »
    I remember that comment and I think I mentioned it as a little arrogant and disrespectful.

Particularly when the opponent put on a very good display, albeit a losing one in my eyes. Taylor almost making out that "on her day" she wins without doubt.

I also felt Taylor won, but that Finnish girl had won Bronze at the World's (as did Taylor), and had just beaten a Bronze medallist from the 2012 games in her fight before that.
    She would later win Silver at the Europeans that year.
    Essentially she's Elite level, so if girl's of her calibre shouldn't be capable of beating Taylor, which ones should :D.

But again, to Taylor's defence (like McCaskill's), those comments were made in an emotional state. Post-fight after a defeat.

I also felt Taylor won, but that Finnish girl had won Bronze at the World's (as did Taylor), and had just beaten a Bronze medallist from the 2012 games in her fight before that.
    She would later win Silver at the Europeans that year.
    Essentially she's Elite level, so if girl's of her calibre shouldn't be capable of beating Taylor, which ones should :D.

But again, to Taylor's defence (like McCaskill's), those comments were made in an emotional state. Post-fight after a defeat.

And reading back through the thread comments from Rio it wasn't only Katie that sounded a little arrogant. Many posters flabbergasted and almost annoyed that she could lose a boxing match on the ridiculously competitive stage of world boxing.

Advertisement