Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid Stamp Duty

Options
  • 13-12-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm trying to buy my brothers house, but we have a problem with unpaid Stamp Duty.
    About 12 months ago brother found a buyer for the house but it fell through when it came to light that the deeds are not in his name, as Stamp Duty never made it to Revenue. I agreed to buy from him if we could sort out deed issue.

The solicitor involved is still in practice but has made no efforts to sort anything out. The matter has been referred to the Law Society and they accept that my brother paid the Stamp Duty to his solicitor at the time (house purchased in 1996, price €71,000)

The Law Society have asked for a detailed report but received nothing.
    He has been told that the matter is being referred to the Complains and Client Relations Committee, still nothing. He was told to send a detailed report by November 20th, still nothing. The case was due to be heard by committee on December 11th but solicitor rang to say he could not make it because of snow - the next meeting of committee is not till February.
    Who knows what the excuse will be next February, but an excuse there will be. The brother and I know that the solicitor intends to drag this out for as long as humanly possible. In the mean time my brother has a house that he can't sell, I can't buy and we're wondering if this will ever end.
    Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

MOD
    Your brother should consult his own solicitor about this. You cannot get advice on this on this forum
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement