Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drury Street Bike Park - Closing for Renovations

Options
  • 13-12-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all - just a heads up,

Drury Street Bike Park will close for 10-12 weeks for renovations beginning on January 15th 2018. An alternative bike park will be provided (presumably in the same car park).

But more importantly, make sure you remove your locks as, according to notices displayed, all locks and any remaining bikes will be removed by DCC on January 4th and brought to Cherry Orchard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I saw the signs last night, does that mean there is no secure-ish bicycle parking in the city centre from Jan 4 to Jan 15?

The temporary parking from 15th is in Drury street, but who knows how big or secure it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I presume the alternative parking will be available before the other closes - probably a few days overlap.

Not actually sure what upgrades they are going to do as it's pretty functional as it is. Perhaps a few more racks. It would be nice if the floor was painted and if they could get rid of that rat infested skip.

EDIT: Just see now that the alternative bike part will only be available from 15th. :eek:

Good point site owner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Noooooooooooooo :(

The amount of bike parking that's gone with the luas works over the last while and not been replaced. It's hard to find somewhere to park the bike, never mind somewhere dry :mad:

I hope it's amazing when it reopens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

• Advertisement

I'll see if I can find anything out, but I expect all they'll do is properly bury ib concrete all the incorrectly fitted stands? Maybe also just using it as a clear out of old bikes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In my youth I used to work there washing cars or as an attendant. Some of the **** that went on there with the cars meant I never parked there ever! Some of the shot that went in that didn’t involve cars was even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Totally missing (in the sketch above) the option of double-decker and/or vertical parking, which would give twice as many spaces for the same building volume....

brownian wrote: »
    Totally missing (in the sketch above) the option of double-decker and/or vertical parking, which would give twice as many spaces for the same building volume....

The linked article says the roof is too low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Well, apart from the clear intention in the image above to mutate all the users into faceless grey mannequin creatures, I'm in favour of this plan.

But, just for the record, I will state: "Aiieee! They have no faces!"

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Better get my lock so. I'll not be using it again until the 15th anyway. Are they likely to start charging I wonder?

. Are they likely to start charging I wonder?

its mentioned in the 2015 report that user charging is something that should be looked at, however it says willingness to pay should be gauged using pilot schemes like bike lockers so i dont think it will come in fully in drury street, possibly there may be some secure spaces or lockers.
    Establishing the willingness of people to pay for parking is of major importance in deciding to implement user charging and as recommended in previous sections, a trial period in select locations should be implemented to accurately gauge this aspect. The implementation of bicycle lockers could be seen as a useful forerunner to the development of paid high density cycle parking facilities, and would provide useful indicators of willingness to pay.

site_owner wrote: »

So from this, are they making it bigger? Opening it up behind the skips?

Otherwise it looks like they're just painting the ground. Which is nice. But hmmmm.

nee wrote: »
    So from this, are they making it bigger? Opening it up behind the skips?

Otherwise it looks like they're just painting the ground. Which is nice. But hmmmm.

Thats just an artists impression so hopefully there's more to it. They are taking it from 196 to 600 I think.
    Possibly higher density upstairs and then opening up the basement.

Thats just an artists impression so hopefully there's more to it. They are taking it from 196 to 600 I think.
    Possibly higher density upstairs and then opening up the basement.

Oh now that's awesome!

I vote for orange colour wise, an orange, red and yellow colour scheme, much warmer :pac:

nee wrote: »
    Oh now that's awesome!

I vote for orange colour wise, an orange, red and yellow colour scheme, much warmer :pac:

A few heaters be nice too... I've regularly slipped into my cycling gear in there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Full post from DCC's cycling officer: http://www.cycledublin.ie/blog/index.php/2017/12/notice-works-upgrading-cycle-parking-provision-in-drury-street-car-park/

Doesn't mention what they're actually doing though...

buffalo wrote: »
    Full post from DCC's cycling officer: http://www.cycledublin.ie/blog/index.php/2017/12/notice-works-upgrading-cycle-parking-provision-in-drury-street-car-park/

Doesn't mention what they're actually doing though...

Whatever they are doing, the temp solution sounds so much worse than it should be.

2 weeks with nothing, 3 months with a bit of off-cut space. What a joke this city is for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Whatever they are doing, the temp solution sounds so much worse than it should be.

2 weeks with nothing, 3 months with a bit of off-cut space. What a joke this city is for cyclists.

What's your solution?

The time they're closing it down seems sensible to me.

The end result will be a huge increase in the number of available spaces, the numbers cycling tends to decrease significantly late December/early January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

What's your solution?

The end result will be a huge increase in the number of available spaces, the numbers cycling tends to decrease significantly late December/early January.

But when they reopen they will have a big hoo-ha about it and *other* people will find out about *our* city centre bicycle hidey-hole!

<sobs at the injustice of it all>

What's your solution?

Another secure location opened before this work starts

check_six wrote: »
    But when they reopen they will have a big hoo-ha about it and *other* people will find out about *our* city centre bicycle hidey-hole!

<sobs at the injustice of it all>
    Yes, I've often wondered about all those cyclists who leave their bikes out in the rain at the junction of Stephen Street and South William Street and also South King Street. Do the not realise that there is a secure bike park just around the corner?

Yes, I've often wondered about all those cyclists who leave their bikes out in the rain at the junction of Stephen Street and South William Street and also South King Street. Do the not realise that there is a secure bike park just around the corner?

I didn't know about it until somebody in College told me. I had been luasing or driving

I've a vague recollection of a similar one being planned for the northside but I don't think it came to fruition. Capel Street or somewhere around there?

Well needed. Cycleways - or a bike shop in that area used to take bikes in for 50p or £1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Another secure location opened before this work starts

And given funding constraints they're under?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Just to give some perspective - they're closing one of the Luas P&R carparks for 9 months, far longer than Drury St. Any temporary solution? Piss off to the next stop or another one about 5km away.

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/949183322550304768

buffalo wrote: »
    Just to give some perspective - they're closing one of the Luas P&R carparks for 9 months, far longer than Drury St. Any temporary solution? Piss off to the next stop or another one about 5km away.

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/949183322550304768

isn't the stillorgan park and ride about 200m away? and 7 times the size? and available immediately?

• Advertisement

Balls... I forgot to get my lock. Probably been cut off by now

Advertisement