Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drury Street Bike Park - Closing for Renovations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

They’re already tagging bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

They’re already tagging bikes.

In the new layout, or do you mean they were doing it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

site_owner wrote: »
    In the new layout, or do you mean they were doing it before?
    They are tagging bikes in the temporary area saying they will be removed after 21 days (I think?) if not moved. The tags are dated when fitted so they know when the time has elapsed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It really does look great, I didn't know there was any parking in it at all. Much bigger, nice layout, looks 'bright' and no bins at the end. Yet...!

They are tagging bikes in the temporary area saying they will be removed after 21 days (I think?) if not moved. The tags are dated when fitted so they know when the time has elapsed.

That's amazing, well done DCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Parked there the other week on the bike, temporary spaces were interesting. Got a bit tight trying to navigate my fat arse through all the bikes :P

Haven't seen it since, park the car there sometimes so I'll be on the lookout. I haven't parked the bike there regularly in 2-3 years but when I did it was always very full, even when leaving later than 9pm. I'm guessing abandoned bikes? If so I wouldn't say no to them being tagged and removed after a week or two. There's been times where I'd be lucky to have gotten a spot.

Handy place for locking the bike, no matter what side of town I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Handy place for locking the bike, no matter what side of town I go.

Would there be any danger of them setting up a bike park like this north of the river too, I wonder? Where would be a suitable location?

Is Drury St owned by DCC which made this possible? Where are the DCC carparks on the northside? In an ideal world, I suppose every carpark would be required to have a bike section.

check_six wrote: »
    ...Is Drury St owned by DCC which made this possible?....
    No - it's privately owned. Presumably DCC pay them for the bike parking.

Would there be any danger of them setting up a bike park like this north of the river too, I wonder? Where would be a suitable location?

Is Drury St owned by DCC which made this possible? Where are the DCC carparks on the northside? In an ideal world, I suppose every carpark would be required to have a bike section.

The Smithfield car park on Queen St has a lot of bike parking but it's not very central. I agree though there could be something like this on the northside.

The Smithfield car park on Queen St has a lot of bike parking...
    Free of charge to cyclists?

• Advertisement

Free of charge to cyclists?

Not too sure but when I parked the car there I didn't see anything about fees for cyclists and I was surprised at how many bikes there was. It's operated by Park Rite like Drury St so I'm assuming it's free?

The place is a maze though. There's 3 or so pedestrian entrances to the place so trying to find the car is a nightmare :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

8ha4vQll.jpg
    IsqEdcal.jpg
    LimGkKYl.jpg

Awkward place to panorama but you get the idea. Phone had no hope of picking up the lower section but its reasonably large but smaller than the upper bit. Is there due to be an upstairs too? I cant see a direct way up there as the new rampy bit has a permanent barrier installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Silly question but is this free and secure?

Getting a new bike shortly and this would be a fierce handy place to park if I was heading to town.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Silly question but is this free and secure?

Getting a new bike shortly and this would be a fierce handy place to park if I was heading to town.
    It's free of charge. Seems reasonably secure - don't want to jinx myself but I have been using it for about 7 or 8 years without any problems. You'll still need a good lock/locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's free of charge. Seems reasonably secure - don't want to jinx myself but I have been using it for about 7 or 8 years without any problems. You'll still need a good lock/locks.

Thank you. Any locks you'd recommend?

Can't really recommend any other than to say I use a heavy duty motorcycle lock which I leave there all the time.

I have a heavy Abus chain lock that was about €80. I'm not too familiar with what's on the market now but something in that price range should be pretty unbreakable unless someone has power tools and makes a massive scene...

Ideally a big chain lock and a Kryptonite U lock for the frame/rear wheel, and a cable going through the u-lock if you have a quick release seat post.

I only have a chain thought and I'll put that through the frame and front wheel, but I should put it through the back wheel because that's more expensive to replace...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

Where is the bike parking in there? I've only been in there once and I didn't see any bike area but I wasn't exactly looking either

gwakamoley wrote: »
    Where is the bike parking in there? I've only been in there once and I didn't see any bike area but I wasn't exactly looking either
    It's on the ground floor just opposite the entrance. (You can't really miss it as there are no car parking facilities on that floor).

I thought it was open, still closed :P

Also why did that have to put down that red crap for the bike lane? It probably won't be a safety issue in a car park they wasted money on it to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I thought it was open, still closed :P

Also why did that have to put down that red crap for the bike lane? It probably won't be a safety issue in a car park they wasted money on it to be honest

Ah dunno, on a wet day you might be glad of it ;) Wet tyres on polished concrete is never a fun surface

...why did that have to put down that red crap for the bike lane? It probably won't be a safety issue in a car park they wasted money on it to be honest
    Two main reasons I'd say - it creates an awareness of cyclists and, as P_1 has said, for safety. All that water dripping of cars entering the car park on a wet day creates a very slippery surface.

https://www.facebook.com/dublincycling/posts/10160325696070052

is this a first for dublin, a public bike repair stand?

bjIF9L7.jpg

site_owner wrote: »
    ...is this a first for dublin, a public bike repair stand?...
    Now that is nifty! Lets hope the undesirables don't wreck it.

(Handy for any apartment dwelling cyclists who reside nearby also).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Now that is nifty! Lets hope the undesirables don't wreck it.

(Handy for any apartment dwelling cyclists who reside nearby also).

Wouldn't it be nice to have something as useful and helpful as this without some no-goodnik wrecking it.

Seeing as it is so genuinely good I have no doubt it will have been snapped in half by the end of May :(

Maybe we could form a rabid pitchfork wielding vigilante group now to keep it intact? I think I have a particularly intimidating looking garden rake at home if anyone is stuck for a makeshift weapon. (I may be assuming that the bad guys will be formed of piles of rogue leaves here).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Saw there seemed to be a bicycle tour group in there at the weekend as their base. EDIT: seems to be these guys http://www.seedublinbybike.ie/ They were using the new bike parking

Nice to see the screens in place at the entrance so you can see all of the bikes, possibly a bit of a visual deter-ant knowing you can be seen on CCTV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Wouldn't it be nice to have something as useful and helpful as this without some no-goodnik wrecking it.

A repair stand, well, a built-in track pump and collection of tethered tools had been at the bike lockers near Woodies Lucan for ages.

Stopped once to top up my tyre, but sure enough the head was mangled :rolleyes:

i expect things to get broken, whether by accident, mis-use, wear and tear or vandalism.
    i think the appropriate approach is for the council to check it regularly and see if it needs maintenance. same as they do for any other facility.

the ones in other cities are not immune to this, thye are just well looked after.

obviously i hope no one breaks it, but at the same time i font think everyone else should be punished if it does get damaged.

• Advertisement

Is the bike park back up and running yet?

Advertisement