Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chokes for pheasant.

Options
  • 13-12-2017 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi. Newbie ere. Shot for years nd gave it a miss. As dog died nd due to work commitments was busy. Getting back into it this year but I wonder what chokes lads are using in there guns for pheasants, snipe woodcock. 1/2 in bottom barrel nd 3/4 in top. Is this right r want b changed. Tia

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Quarter & half for me

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Before guns had interchangeable chokes they were usually 1/4 and 1/2 or 1/4 and 3/4 for a 'sporting' gun. Other types of guns had different set ups for various reasons and this set up appeared to be ok and unchanged for many years.

Anyway it worked for me with No5 Eley Game fiber wads no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

Well the way work it I don't believe in one choke for the pheasant all season.
    I use fairly open chokes early on in the season when the birds are more likely to get up closer to you and be a bit slower in general,
    but as the season goes on and they get more wise and jumpy from being put up and dogged they flush sooner and further away and there not hanging about, I tighten up the chokes for the longer shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Well the way work it I don't believe in one choke for the pheasant all season.
    I use fairly open chokes early on in the season when the birds are more likely to get up closer to you and be a bit slower in general,
    but as the season goes on and they get more wise and jumpy from being put up and dogged they flush sooner and further away and there not hanging about, I tighten up the chokes for the longer shots.

This goin sound stupid. But is a 3/4 tighter choke than a 1/2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    This goin sound stupid. But is a 3/4 tighter choke than a 1/2

No it isn't & yes it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Quarter and Half works for me most of the time.
    Half and Full for ducks.

A very good rule of thumb to use to select the correct choke is as follows.
    For 40 yards or more use Full Choke
    Up to 35 yards use 3/4 choke
    Up to 30 yards use 1/2 choke
    Up to 25yards use 1/4 choke
    Less than 25yards use Skeet
    Good luck

Quarter and Half works for me most of the time.
    Half and Full for ducks.

A very good rule of thumb to use to select the correct choke is as follows.
    For 40 yards or more use Full Choke
    Up to 35 yards use 3/4 choke
    Up to 30 yards use 1/2 choke
    Up to 25yards use 1/4 choke
    Less than 25yards use Skeet
    Good luck
    Thank you. Think I will put in full nd 3/4. Hunting with a springer. Out today nd got 3 Cocks out of4

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Thank you. Think I will put in full nd 3/4. Hunting with a springer. Out today nd got 3 Cocks out of4

I think if you do that you will be eating ..........minced pheasant.

123shooter wrote: »
    I think if you do that you will be eating ..........minced pheasant.

Leave as is so. Thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

skeet 30g 7out to 35 yards 1/2 32g 6 out to 50yards over setters works every time for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement