Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New horizon box

• 14-12-2017 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭

For the many who are enduring the painfully sluggish UI and the random issues with recordings on VM top tier (cough) box, there’s a new kid in town. Now it’s not the TiVo V6 currently being promoted across the pond but a very similar box, in appearance at least, to the current ‘flagship’ (cough again) offering. Basically, the vast majority of horizon users are using the Version 1 box. It’s the version 2 that apparently is a lot zippier (and dimensionally slightly smaller). I’ll know later today if nightline hold up their promise to deliver. Here’s hoping for an end to the current pain of navigating the lazy V1 offering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You might be good enough to stick up pics or a video to show us what's better? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

seamus wrote: »
    You might be good enough to stick up pics or a video to show us what's better? :)
    I will surely, but info from a colleague who got one on Tuesday indicates that the UI scrolling and general responsiveness is far superior. That in itself would be a win for me as the current state of play, particularly when scrolling through the guide or anywhere on the interface is painfully slow. Will report back with pics and info. Now, just have to ring nightline to redirect package to office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you getting the new box as an upgrade or new account?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are you getting the new box as an upgrade or new account?
    Just rang Manilla, punched sales as obviously you get straight through when they have a sniff of new customer, they had no idea what I was referring to (Version 1 / Version 2), they put me through to Tech Support, Manilla again, this one knew the deal. I simply asked for a new box as my current one was a PITA, and they said "no problem, we will dispatch". No new contract, no cost. Received the delivery notification from Nightline. Rang then there with instruction to leave with neighbour if nobody is home. One phone call, and you're sorted. As said, I'll report back with more details once she is up and running. Obviously all recordings will be lost; that's a bonus in my case as it means binning every poxy UK soap currently clogging up my current box. She'll be pissed.....but eventually she will get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The V2 box has been out ages, well over a year.

Its slightly smaller than the V1 box. It doesnt have a scart connection at the back, only HDMI and the ethernet ports are easier to access.

Its main advantage over the V1 box is the fact that it supports 5 ghz AC wireless where the V1 didnt. It is slightly faster but runs the same software version as the V1 box so feature wise its exactly the same.

• Advertisement

The V2 box has been out ages, well over a year.

Its slightly smaller than the V1 box. It doesnt have a scart connection at the back, only HDMI and the ethernet ports are easier to access.

Its main advantage over the V1 box is the fact that it supports 5 ghz AC wireless where the V1 didnt. It is slightly faster but runs the same software version as the V1 box so feature wise its exactly the same.
    You have it ? Internet does not concern me as I have the VM hub (which has been flawless in fairness on both bands)

Sitting right in front of me as I type yes.

Sitting right in front of me as I type yes.
    Excellent :) Is it far zippier or more of the same ?

I think lot of the improvement in response is due to the different remote control. The newer remote has menu and back written in black print and if I use that one Its miles more responsive than the one I have with those in silver writing. I'm not sure if this is intentional but there's a huge difference.

Box performence itself, Bar the better internet when on 5ghz AC , seems to be slightly better than the older box but as I dont have the new and old one side by side and theres been a few software releases since I had the older box I cant really say for sure other than I feel its a faster box.

I think lot of the improvement in response is due to the different remote control. The newer remote has menu and back written in black print and if I use that one Its miles more responsive than the one I have with those in silver writing. I'm not sure if this is intentional but there's a huge difference.

Box performence itself, Bar the better internet when on 5ghz AC , seems to be slightly better than the older box but as I dont have the new and old one side by side and theres been a few software releases since I had the older box I cant really say for sure other than I feel its a faster box.
    That'll do me, cheers Wabbit ;)

• Advertisement

Nice one OP, I've been had the v1 since release and it's shocking how poor the navigation is. I'll try request the v2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Its main advantage over the V1 box is the fact that it supports 5 ghz AC wireless where the V1 didnt.

I have an early Horizon box and it supports 5 Ghz - is the 'AC' bit part of a newer protocol? You have to go into the menus and enable 5 Ghz alongside 2.4 Ghz, it has a different SSID and password but I've had 5 Ghz Wi-Fi on Horizon for a few years now.

the AC is the new bit

Received today, up and running. As was it said, marginally smaller and lighter. Snappier alright. That’s about it. Still an improvement though so worth getting I suppose. No point in uploading pics or video. Nothing to see. Identical in every way in terms of UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think there is anything that could ever convince me to try anything with the name horizon again. If they have improved it they need a complete rebrand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭carloscorreia

Do anyone knows if the Horizon V2 suffers from the Intel Puma 6 chipset issue like the Hub 3?

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057678773

Has anyone been able to tell if the HDD is the same size?

its the same size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

dodzy wrote: »
    Received today, up and running. As was it said, marginally smaller and lighter. Snappier alright. That’s about it. Still an improvement though so worth getting I suppose. No point in uploading pics or video. Nothing to see. Identical in every way in terms of UI.

for someone who is very frustrated using the V1 horizon box , is it worth the upgrade ?

Bodan wrote: »
    for someone who is very frustrated using the V1 horizon box , is it worth the upgrade ?
    It's quicker...and it's free. One call to 1908 and you'll have it in 24hrs. Nothing to lose....bar recordings on current box. And for anyone still using the horizon box for the integrated internet, order the hub too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Chopper Dave

dodzy wrote: »
    It's quicker...and it's free. One call to 1908 and you'll have it in 24hrs. Nothing to lose....bar recordings on current box. And for anyone still using the horizon box for the integrated internet, order the hub too.

Is this an update of the existing Cisco box or is it the new box that Liberty Global is rolling out (including in VM UK where it uses the Tivo software)? The new box from Liberty is supposed to be 4K compatible and overall much faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

Hi Folks,

Hope we're not overstepping our bounds here, we just wanted to address this topic. We've posted a reply in our Talk To right here: https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/105619842

If you've any questions just drop on by, we'd be happy to help :-)

Thanks.

Received the v2 box today. Like was said earlier it’s smaller and lighter than the original.

It came in a swap box so it didn’t have a remote or power cable so I just synced the old remote and used the old power cable.

Fired it up and it performed an update, after a few minutes the channels were viewable. I use a separate modem for the broadband so I’m in the process of logging into the horizon web interface to turn off the onboard WiFi.

The navigation is a bit snappier but not a massive improvement. I think the spongy buttons on the romote have a lot to do with the sluggish feel.

My old box had overheating, loss of EPG info and recording issues so the new box should go a long way to improving my experience. I believe this new version has an SSD vs HDD.

Thanks to the Virgin media reps for the fast resolution. I found them very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

cisk wrote: »
    Received the v2 box today. Like was said earlier it’s smaller and lighter than the original.

It came in a swap box so it didn’t have a remote or power cable so I just synced the old remote and used the old power cable.

Fired it up and it performed an update, after a few minutes the channels were viewable. I use a separate modem for the broadband so I’m in the process of logging into the horizon web interface to turn off the onboard WiFi.

The navigation is a bit snappier but not a massive improvement. I think the spongy buttons on the romote have a lot to do with the sluggish feel.

My old box had overheating, loss of EPG info and recording issues so the new box should go a long way to improving my experience. I believe this new version has an SSD vs HDD.

Thanks to the Virgin media reps for the fast resolution. I found them very helpful.

Good post. Someone mentioned earlier that they got a new remote control that seems to have made a big difference. One of my big complaints is changing channels and ending up on virgin tv 100 way too often.

I've usually blamed the box, but if the new remote control is more responsive as Wabbit Ears has described, i would order a replacement one today.

Bodan wrote: »
    Good post. Someone mentioned earlier that they got a new remote control that seems to have made a big difference. One of my big complaints is changing channels and ending up on virgin tv 100 way too often.

I've usually blamed the box, but if the new remote control is more responsive as Wabbit Ears has described, i would order a replacement one today.

Thanks, I must ask for the new one. A lot of the letters in the back keyboard are worn away. Not that it was ever useful as a keyboard.

cisk wrote: »
    Thanks, I must ask for the new one. A lot of the letters in the back keyboard are worn away. Not that it was ever useful as a keyboard.

I have never used the keyboard on the back of my Horizon remote but a lot of the characters have worn away - just from rubbing against the fabric of my sofa when I move it around. Virtually all of the keys on the righthand side of the keyboard are now completely blank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I seriously doubt they are putting SSDs into these units.

JDxtra wrote: »
    I seriously doubt they are putting SSDs into these units.

I did a google search and landed on some Dutch or German forums where somebody mentioned the specs and it included a SSD. I haven’t noticed any HDD spinning noise with the new box so I’d tend to believe it is indeed a SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Virgin reps on here have said the box is technically identical. A 500Gb SSD is an expensive component when compared to a normal hard drive. Plus, modern 2.5" hard drives that are well installed in a unit will be near silent.

They may have an SSD, but I think it's more likely that they don't.

• Advertisement

They dont have SSD's.

Advertisement