Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused - Costs of using Credit Card, Debit Card & ATM in USA??

Options
  • 14-12-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Good morning,

Going to USA for 3 weeks next month.

I want advice on the best way to pay for items and services, hotels, restaurants etc - credit card or debit card. 

Give me an example on say a €200 purchase in USA & also a $2,000 hotel bill in USA, as examples. What will the charges be? 

I've read the leaflets on banking charges & also information online, I'm not the best at working out the fees payable, so I would appreciate your help.

Is it correct that there is no maximum limit on the Cross Border Handling fee incurred with a Credit card payment?

-       So in other words if we were to pay the $2,000 hotel bill by credit card with the cross border handling fee charged @ 2.25%, that would be a cross border handling charge of the Euro equivalent of approx. $45.

-       If we were to use the debit card to pay for the hotel bill instead (are we allowed do that with hotels?), then we would just be charged €11.43, the maximum cross border handling charge for debit cards?

And also what would be the best way to access cash. eg taking out $300 US from an ATM. 

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

All I need to say is

<no advertising rival company in BoI forum>

Big thread here
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057481488/416/#post105556132

Don’t use your normal bank card. Order quickly and you could have it before you head off

• Registered Users Posts: 13 california dreaming

Thanks Ghosty McGhost,

We ordered the AN Post FX Card. Is that the same as Revolut or is Revolut better? 

Thanks so much for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Thanks Ghosty McGhost,

We ordered the AN Post FX Card. Is that the same as Revolut or is Revolut better? 

Thanks so much for your help

Using an post exchange rate on $2000 example

€1746 = $2000.75

Using revolut

€1693 = $2000.55

It’s miles better and no fees when paying with card

There’s a fee with ATM’s after the free allowance but it’s well communicated and I find they don’t hide any fees or mislead (a la ‘commission free’)

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks so much for the info. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Good morning,

I want advice on the best way to pay for items and services, hotels, restaurants etc - credit card or debit card. 

Give me an example on say a €200 purchase in USA & also a $2,000 hotel bill in USA, as examples. What will the charges be? 

I've read the leaflets on banking charges & also information online, I'm not the best at working out the fees payable, so I would appreciate your help.

Is it correct that there is no maximum limit on the Cross Border Handling fee incurred with a Credit card payment?

-       So in other words if we were to pay the $2,000 hotel bill by credit card with the cross border handling fee charged @ 2.25%, that would be a cross border handling charge of the Euro equivalent of approx. $45.

-       If we were to use the debit card to pay for the hotel bill instead (are we allowed do that with hotels?), then we would just be charged €11.43, the maximum cross border handling charge for debit cards?

And also what would be the best way to access cash. eg taking out $300 US from an ATM. 

Thanks for your help

Hi California Dreaming,

Thanks for your post here and I'll just explain both types of cards below.

Firstly, when you make a purchase in a foreign currency with your Credit Card there's a cross border handling fee of 2.25% of the transaction total. Your example would be correct, the charge would be the Euro equivalent of $45.
    You're also correct with the maximum cross border handling charge for a point of sale when using your Visa Debit card outside the Eurozone - this is €11.43 per transaction. Just to mention however that some retailers/ hotels may offer you the ability to pay in your own currency.

Please be advised that the ATM limits when abroad are lower and in the USA this can be €250 per day on your Visa Debit card, and with your Credit Card it is up to €700 at a Chip and PIN ATM or €300 at a non Chip and PIN ATM.
    When withdrawing from your Credit Card you will be charged the Cash Withdrawal fee of €2.54 or 1.5% (whichever is greater). You can avoid the cash advance fees if your Credit Card account is in credit when the transaction hits the account or if it has a zero balance after the transaction is completed.
    The charge on your Visa Debit card for a Cash Withdrawal outside the Eurozone is 3.5% of the transaction value at a minimum of €3.17 and maximum of €11.43.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guys, if you want to duscuss the pros and cons of a service that is not Bank of Ireland, please take it to the Banking forum here. Thanks a million! 

Good morning,

Thanks for your help

Hi California Dreaming,

Thanks for your post here and I'll just explain both types of cards below.

Firstly, when you make a purchase in a foreign currency with your Credit Card there's a cross border handling fee of 2.25% of the transaction total. Your example would be correct, the charge would be the Euro equivalent of $45.
    You're also correct with the maximum cross border handling charge for a point of sale when using your Visa Debit card outside the Eurozone - this is €11.43 per transaction. Just to mention however that some retailers/ hotels may offer you the ability to pay in your own currency.

Please be advised that the ATM limits when abroad are lower and in the USA this can be €250 per day on your Visa Debit card, and with your Credit Card it is up to €700 at a Chip and PIN ATM or €300 at a non Chip and PIN ATM.
    When withdrawing from your Credit Card you will be charged the Cash Withdrawal fee of €2.54 or 1.5% (whichever is greater). You can avoid the cash advance fees if your Credit Card account is in credit when the transaction hits the account or if it has a zero balance after the transaction is completed.
    The charge on your Visa Debit card for a Cash Withdrawal outside the Eurozone is 3.5% of the transaction value at a minimum of €3.17 and maximum of €11.43.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask do most hotels accept Visa Debit cards? 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Hotels should be fine with debit cards, in general. The only issue arises with car hire where a credit card is often required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask do most hotels accept Visa Debit cards? 

Hi california dreaming,

You can use your Visa Debit card wherever the Visa symbol is displayed. We would advise you to check with the hotel you intend to stay with to see if they will accept this type of card.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement