Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport limo NYC

Options
  • 14-12-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm heading to New York next year, its both of our first times going there and I had been thinking it might be nice to book a limo with champagne from the airport as a surprise. Has anyone done this and if so would you recommend it? Hoping it won't work out too expensive! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For a NYC yellow cab, there is a fixed fare of $52 (plus tolls) from JFK to the first stop in Manhattan. A limo with a bottle of champagne will cost and arm and leg for a bit of novelty compared to that.

There is another consideration that hasn't occurred to you as this will be your first trip..... you will be getting up in Ireland at 6 or 7 a.m. and you will arrive after a 6 hour flight at lunchtime (NY Time) after turning your watch back 5 hours. If you drink alcohol as soon as you land, you will be fit for nothing but the bed when you get to your hotel. Your first day in NY will be five hours longer than a normal day and to make good use of it, you do not want to touch a drink until that evening. Not saying you shouldn't have a drink or two on the plane but it would not be a good idea to do so on arrival.

Take a yellow cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm heading to New York next year, its both of our first times going there and I had been thinking it might be nice to book a limo with champagne from the airport as a surprise. Has anyone done this and if so would you recommend it? Hoping it won't work out too expensive! Thanks

It costs roughly $320 each way with a $30-$40 tip for the driver at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

You can get the subway to the centre of Manhattan for a couple of dollars.

If you want to spend more than that, get the yellow cab experience.

Beware the gypsey cabs & tow cars in the terminal area

OU812 wrote: »
    You can get the subway to the centre of Manhattan for a couple of dollars.

Make that $7.75, JFK is not on the subway. You first have to get the Airtrain to Jamaica or Howard Beach, that costs $5, then you get the subway to Manhattan which costs $2.75. You may have to change lines if your hotel isn't close to a station served by the lines from those stations. Either way, when you get to your destination station, you'll have to lug your bags up stairs to the sidewalk, then walk to the hotel.

Not worth the hassle for not much more than €20 each if there's two of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Thanks everyone. So the general advice is grab a normal cab? I've no problem getting the subway or trains but if I'll only be saving a couple of dollars then feck it.

Pity, I've never done anything like the limo thing. Was hoping it might be around $100 or so. Oh well!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks everyone. So the general advice is grab a normal cab? I've no problem getting the subway or trains but if I'll only be saving a couple of dollars then feck it.

Pity, I've never done anything like the limo thing. Was hoping it might be around $100 or so. Oh well!! :)

I always either get the subway or the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) when I’m going from JFK to Manhattan and back. The LIRR is more expensive but quicker and generally less busy. It just depends on which is handier for where I’m staying.

If you really want to do the limo thing you could do it during your stay. Book a nice restaurant and get the limo there and back (or just back if cost prohibitive).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

use Uber when in NYC including from airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I use a company called dial7 and find them excellent we flew into Newark last time and while it’s easy enough to get into Manhattan on train we decided to get a car.
    We made a mistake before of booking a shared mini bus, we are last people dropped at our hotel and it took nearly two hours..

The Long Island Railway option costs $15 and there's only a couple of stops but it drops you at Penn station at which point you will almost certainly have to change to the subway. Including the AirTrain and one trip on the subway, that will cost you $22.75 each made up of $5 AirTrain, $15 LIRR and $2.75 subway. For the pair of you, that's $45.50 for three train rides vs. $53 (plus tolls and tip) for a taxi straight from the terminal to your hotel.

As it's your first trip, I'd strongly advise you to get a yellow cab from JFK to Manhattan, the AirTRain and subway option involve ticket machines and it's probably not a good idea when arriving on your first trip.

For the return to JFK the set taxi fare does not apply so this is what I usually do if I'm not with a group ....

1. Make sure you have a Metrocard (NYC equivalent of Leap/Oyster) that has at least $7.75 credit on it.

2. Get the subway to either Jamaica or Howard Beach, the choice will depend on which is easier to get to from the station nearest your hotel.

3. Connect to the AirTrain to JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Depending on which airline you are flying with, but if you plan on getting a taxi, get an uber instead.

I know with flying with Aer Lingus to Terminal 5, the taxi rank is no longer directly outside, but about a 10 minute walk, including going up two levels on the escalator. With large suit cases it's a pain.

Uber or similar can pick up from directly outside. They normally work out cheaper too if arriving at lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Where part of NY are you going to? I think most people are guessing that it's Manhattan but worth confirming.
    harr wrote: »
    We made a mistake before of booking a shared mini bus, we are last people dropped at our hotel and it took nearly two hours..

Supershuttle? Why did it take so long? I've used that in NY, Houston and Dallas and it was a very good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Berserker wrote: »
    Where part of NY are you going to? I think most people are guessing that it's Manhattan but worth confirming.

Supershuttle? Why did it take so long? I've used that in NY, Houston and Dallas and it was a very good service.

Not sure if it was a super shuttle, but it went to about 8 different hotels before ours ,that and traffic it was nearly two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Berserker wrote: »

Yes we're staying in Manhattan, close to grand central station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Yes we're staying in Manhattan, close to grand central station

Yeah, a standard cab with the flat rate is the way to go. You'd have a bit of changing to do if you use the subway and it would be a mare with bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

coylemj wrote: »

For the return to JFK the set taxi fare does not apply so this is what I usually do if I'm not with a group ....

The set rate is for travelling to and from JFK. If a taxi driver tries to put it on the metre, pull him up on it.

If staying near Grand Central, I wouldn't get the LIRR. After getting off at Penn Station, you would need to then get another two subways which involves switching trains in the maze under TS.

The set rate is for travelling to and from JFK. If a taxi driver tries to put it on the metre, pull him up on it.

My bad, you are correct. It now applies both ways, used to apply to the inbound trip only. I'd still do the subway and AirTrain if travelling by myself.

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/industry/taxicab_rate_yellow.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I go to NYC quite a bit and Uber is really your best bet now. Nicer drivers, nicer cars, no hailing on side of street and usually cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Im heading over soon and just booked a car.
    Have friends in Manhattan and they have advised us on what companies they normally use.

one is dial7.com
    the other is carmellimo.com
    i have booked the second option,
    travel is from Newark to 45th and 9th.
    car is a full size sedan.
    price is $46 dollars
    does not include tolls or tips.
    pay on the day, no penalties and easy to change booking.

This is my first time to use them, but have been advised that our travel will cost roughly the same but less hassle than public modes.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5 VIPWalker

rameire wrote: »
    Have friends in Manhattan and they have advised us on what companies they normally use.

one is dial7.com
    price is $46 dollars
    This is my first time to use them, but have been advised that our travel will cost roughly the same but less hassle than public modes.[/quote

how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

VIPWalker wrote: »
    rameire wrote: »

one is dial7.com
    price is $46 dollars
    This is my first time to use them, but have been advised that our travel will cost roughly the same but less hassle than public modes.[/quote

how did you get on?
    Very good. No issues apart from traffic that caused a delay on the drive to Manhattan. Driver was friendly. Had a grand chat. Was so impressed. Used them to go to JFK. The driver that took us to JFK knew which way to go that it involved no tolls and was quick.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
Advertisement