Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New aquarium, water cloudy

• 14-12-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, I recently got a 58l aquarium. Filled it with water, treated the water, then added sand. I had washed the sand bit by bit a few times, but the water was still running brown colour. Doing some research online now, I think I should have rinsed it until it ran clear. The guy in the shop said wait another few days with the filter on, but I can't imagine the water becoming completely clear, it's still so cloudy. Do you think I should start all over again, empty it out, wash the sand until it runs clear. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

It should settle eventually. It might work quicker if you leave the filter off. Are you cycling the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kitcatz

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It should settle eventually. It might work quicker if you leave the filter off. Are you cycling the tank?

I put the bacteria liquid in, is that what you mean by cycling. No plants or rocks or anything in there yet. The guy in the shop said to go back in a week with a sample of the water to see if its ready for fish and then I'd get a couple of fish and some plants.
    I read somewhere else where someone advised someone with the same problem to turn the filter off, yet guy in shop said leave it another few days with the filter on :/ how is the water the colour of the sand, i thought it was natural sand, looks like it has been coloured. So I'm afraid that even if it settles when i add the plants, it'll rise the sand and the colour or whatever it is thats makimg the water cloudy will do the same again
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd relax a bit, any time I've started a new tank the water has been cloudy but after 2-3 days it clears right up. It's hard to imagine when it looks the way it does but you will wake up on Saturday morning and it will be crystal clear. I don't think filter on or off will make a lot of difference tbh.

That and you should add the sand first, then water, not the other way round. Put the sand in (after you've cleaned it), then put a dinner plate on top of the sand, then fill the tank with water by pouring it onto the plate, this will stop the sand getting disturbed while you fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And please, before you go putting any fish in: read and re-read the sticky on cycling a tank until you understand the basics of water chemistry and check your plans for livestock on http://www.aqadvisor.com

Most petshops give *terrible* advice about fishkeeping so unless you're going to a dedicated aquatics store like Seahorse, do your own research on-line before following the guy in the pet shop's advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

kitcatz wrote: »
    The guy in the shop said to go back in a week with a sample of the water to see if its ready for fish and then I'd get a couple of fish and some plants.

Find a new shop. Your water won't be ready in a week. He could test it and it might appear fine because the cycle hasn't even started yet.

The tank will settle, have patience.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help. Yeah, I think I just need to wait, I thought I'd have to start from the beginning. I really hope it will become crystal clear @toyotafan :)
    Thanks for the link @sleepy. It's very good, clear information. So Ill buy a test kit and some fish food to add ammonia, I didn't realise it would take 1-2 months to have it prepared for fish.
    Do you think it would be ok to put plants and rocks etc in within the next week, then the fish in a month or two.
    There's a lot to learn about it all, don't worry, I'll do lots more research!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

You can plant away now if you like. The plants won't be affected by the cycle. 1-2 months is also a bit on the conservative side. Once you have had your ammonia and nitrite spike and they have both gone back to 0 you can add a few small fish. Just keep testing.

That's great, thanks @ondraught. At least I know now about ammonia and nitrate, I'll buy the testing kit and read up on it properly so that I fully understand it all. Thanks :)

Advertisement