Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes, phrases etc. No copyright material.

Options
  • 14-12-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

Though the thread has been quite dead for a while now with really only me posting notes, I thought the JC notes thread here in the link below was a great idea: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055835050

When I first came to this sub forum, I was like, where's a similar thread? Why isn't there a thread for LC notes, especially as LC is obviously more important than the JC (sometimes quite a controversial topic though). I took it upon myself to start this to post my notes and for others to post theirs.

Disclaimer: The notes can be of any Leaving Cert subject, including of the new upcoming ones such as PE, Computer Science etc. However, do not post any copyright material or any material of others, strictly only yours.

To start the thread off, here's my Plate Tectonics notes for Geography:

Earth's structure

The Earth's structure is made up of the following:
    • Continental Crust
    • Oceanic Crust
    • The Mantle
    • Outer Core
    • Inner Core
    18e0518ed5183cd531f908f11031e176c4461b9c.gif

The Core
    • The Core is the most centre point of the Earth.
    • It is made up of dense, heavy metals which sank to the centre as the Earth began to cool.
    • The Core is divided into two parts: the Inner Core and Outer Core.
    The Inner Core
    • The Earth's inner core is a solid sphere made of the metals nickel and iron.
    • The inner core transfers this heat to the upper layers.
    • The transfer of heat is a vital process in making life possible on Earth.
    The Outer Core
    • The outer core is a 2000km thick layer also made of nickel and iron.
    • It spins around the static inner core causing the metals to become charged.
    • The described movement generates the Earth's magnetic field which protects us from the sun's harmful radiation.
    The Mantle
    • The mantle is the largest layer in the Earth making up 75% of its volume.
    • The mantle is made up of layers of rock which are molten close to the core as it is so hot. Closer to the crust, the rock is semi-molten as it is cooler.
    • The mantle can be divided into three layers: the Lower Mantle, Asthenosphere and Lithosphere.
    2000px-earth-cutaway-schematic-english.svg.png

The Crust
    • The crust is the outermost layer of the Earth and makes up the top part of the lithosphere. It is made of solid rock.
    • The continental crust is on average 45km thick. The rocks which form continental crust are light, e.g. granite. Rocks such as granite are rich in the minerals silica and aluminium which are collectively known as sial.
    • The oceanic crust is much thinner than the continental crust. It is 8km thick on average but is as thin as 3km in parts. The rocks which form oceanic crust are heavy, e.g. basalt. Rocks such as basalt are rich in the minerals silica and magnesium which are known collectively as sima.
    Plates
    • Plate tectonics states that the Earth's lithosphere is broken into a number of slabs called plates.
    • These plates float on top of the mantle and are constantly in motion even if they move very slowly.
    • There are seven major plates and several smaller ones.
    • As these plates move, they collide with, separate from, or slide past each other along their boundaries.
    • It is along these plate boundaries that nearly all earthquakes, fold mountains and volcanoes occur.
    • Plate tectonics explains how and why this movement occurs.
    vrc1Zn2yy0MygaWRz-23Gsh8w34fv79BH_Vh5tXwxfMO61eruL1ThzzDxeiBnWfHEv7eC_cMgmWxBng6D33MXi2EPdkWZVUdGGvIscdz0RiQ4jqfnGdLPyKKHfFpi4fepg

Continental Drift
    • German meteorologist, Alfred Wegner, developed the theory of continental drift.
    • The theory of continental drift states that the world's continents are constantly in motion due to convection currents.
    • According to Wegner, all landmasses were originally joined together in one super continent called Pangaea.
    • Wegner suggested that Pangaea first broke into two smaller supercontinents called Gondwanaland and Laurasia before eventually forming the continents and oceans we see today.
    • Continental Fit; where all the continents fit together like a jigsaw, Matching Fossils and Matching Folds are frequently cited as proof of continental drift.
    Convection Currents
    • Arthur Holmes theorised on the movement of plates.
    • The theory states that magma heated in lower mantle rises towards the lithosphere, cools and becomes semi-molten. It moves sideways and sinks. Sideways movement causes friction.
    • This friction results in the movement of plates, or convection currents.
    Mid-Ocean Ridges
    • Maurice Ewing discovered a chain of underwater volcanoes and mountains along the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. This chain became known as the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
    • Ewing also discovered that the ocean floor was made of basalt and was much thinner than usual close to the ridge. This suggested that plates were diverging at this point.
    Seafloor Spreading
    • New seafloor is made at mid-ocean ridges. As new seafloor is created, older seafloor is pushed towards continents making the oceans wider.
    • The age of seafloor and ocean sediments are cited as proof of seafloor spreading.
    Subduction
    • When an oceanic plate collides with a continental plate, the oceanic plate's heavier weight means it sinks back down into the mantle. It melts back into magma by the extreme heat.
    • When two oceanic plates collide, the heavier plate sinks underneath the lighter one. This process is called subduction.
    • This means that the Earth is constantly recycling its lithosphere.

subzon.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Irish Phrases

Faoi shaol laethúil Daily life of
    Gan aon imní Without any worry
    Ag an áit mí-cheart ag an am mí-cheart Wrong place at the wrong time
    As an ngnáth Out of the ordinary
    Ar a bhealach abhaile On his way home
    Casadh tobann Sudden turn
    Críoch thragóideach Tragic ending
    Céard atá i gceist leis an ráiteas seo? What is meant by this statement?
    Níl rud ar bith a spreagann díospóireacht i measc an phobail na laethanta seo níos mó ná There is nothing better to inspire debate amongst the public these days than
    Mar is eol don té is daille amuigh As the blindest person out there knows
    Le roinnt bhlianta anuas For the last number of years
    Níl fadhb níos práinní le sárú faoi láthair ná There is not a more serious problem to overcome at the moment than
    Is iomaí cúis ghearáin eile atá ag daoine maidir le People have many more reasons to complain regarding
    Creidtear go forleathan go It is widely believed that
    Feictear domsa It seems to me
    Caithfear a rá gur mallacht uafásach ar an tsochaí é It has to be said that _____ is a terrible curse on society
    Tráth dá raibh, bhíodh Once upon a time, there used to be

Short Irish essay on 'Fadhbanna na daoine óga'

I mo thuairim, caitheann déagóirí an iomarca ama ar a bhfón póca. Is fadhb mhór í i measc an t-aos óg. Tá siad gafa leo. Dá bhrí sin ní imríonn siad spóirt i gcoitne. Táimid léisciúil. Mar is eol de chách, tá daoine óga an tógtha le na meáin shóisealta. Tá 70% de óganach ar Facebook. Tá 75% de déagóirí mar bhall Instagram agus Snapchat. Cad faoi comhrá ó bhéal, aghaidh os comhair aghaidh? Nach bhfuil sé riachtanach a bhuilleadh? Tá siad ag caitheamh a tsaoil ar an bhfón póca agus tá siad ag cur amú na blianta is fearr in a tsaoil. Mar a deirtear “Is breá ní an óige ach ní thagann sí faoi dhó”. Is déagóir mé agus caithfidh mé a adhmháil go gcaithim mo shaol ar mo fhón – táim cionntach cinnte ach déanaim cumarsáid le daoine i mbealaí eile chomh maith. Bíonn daoine fasta de shíor ag tabhairt amach faoi daoine óga agus an fón póca. Ach an bhfuil aon dhuine ag éisteacht? Caithin a foghlaimeoidh muid?

Is fadhb mór í easpa áiseanna do dhéagóirí i mo cheantar. Níl aon rud le déanamh ag daoine óga de réir seo tar éis scoile agus ag an deireadh seachtaine. Níl a lán aiseanna ann dóibh mar shampla pictiúrlann agus club óige. Tagann leadrán orthu. Eascraíonn sé seo iompar fhrithshóisialta uathu mar shampla ól faoi aois, tógáil drugaí, foréigean agus mar sin de. Tá sé furasta teacht ar drugaí agus alcól faoi mar is eol de gach chat an mbáile. Éiríonn siad gafa leo. Dá mbeinn i mo theachta dála, chuirfinn níos mó áiseanna ar fháil do dhaoine óga i mo cheantar féin chun fáil reidh leis an droch iompar seo.

Tá daltaí an lae inniu níos buartha ná mar a bhí riamh i mo thuairim féin. Cuireann múinteoirí leis an bhfadhb seo gan dabht. Tá múinteoirí ag súil le ard-caighdeán ó dhaltaí áirithe. Tá cumas áirithe ag chúile dhalta. Uairteanta ní féidir é seo a shárú. Cuireann sé seo le brú agus imní an dhalta. Tugann na múinteoirí obair bhaile do na ndaltaí go rialta. Caithfidh an obair bhaile a dhéanamh faoi lá áirithe. Don chuid is mó is é an lá ina ndiaidh. Tugann múinteoirí a lán obair bhaile do dhaltaí le chríochnú in oíche amháin. Níl a dóthain ama ag na ndaltaí an obair bhaile a dhéanamh. Cuireann sé seo struas thar chuimse ar dhaltaí.

Irish essay on 'An Córas Oideachais'

Is é mo thuairim láidir go bhfuil níos mó míbhuntáistí ná buntáistí ag baint leis an gcóras oideachais in Éirinn faoi láthair. Tá an t-oideachais i gcroílár gach rud a dhéanaimid. Tá ár mbeatha féin ag brath air seo. Tá an ghráin ag formhór na bpáistí ar scoil. Léiríonn sé seo go bhfuil rud éigin mícheart leis an gcóras oideachais. Mar a deirtear, "Aoibheann beatha an scóilaire". Ach braitheann sé ar an duine más amhlaidh an scéal. Cuirfidh mé na buntáistí agus na míbhuntáistí in iúl tríd síos na haiste seo.

Ar an gcéad dul síos, tá rogha ag na daltaí abhair a phiocadh. Ní coinceap domhanda é seo mar shampla níl rogha i leith ábhair ag daltaí meánscoile na Fraince. Tá sé seo buntáiste agus míbhuntáiste. Ar lámh amháin, is buntáiste é mar bíonn an chumhacht ag daltaí a shaol féin a stiúriú. Ar an lámh eile, cuireann sé seo brú agus strus ar daltaí i leith na hábhar éigeantach. Caithfidh tú ábhair neamhriachtanacha a dhéanamh nach bhfeicfidh tú arís choíche i ndiaidh na scoile. Tá cothromaíocht ag teastáil. Ba cheart go mbeadh rogha ábhair éagsúla againn. Tá an iomarca ábhair acadúla freisin. Mar shampla, cén fáth nach bhfuil scríbhneoireacht chruthaitheach ábhar sa mheánoideachais? Cén fáth nach bhfuil fealsúnacht ábhar sa mhéanoideachais? D'fhéadfainn leanúint ar aghaidh an lá ar fad. Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh siad!

Ar an dara dul síos, ní féidir a sheannadh gur infheistigh rialtas na hÉireann a lán airgid san oideachas i gcomparáid le tíortha eile. Léiríonn sé seo go dtuigeann rialtas tábhacht an oideachais. Áfach, ní thuigeann siad na fadhbanna meabharshláinte na daltaí. Ní thuigeann daoine fásta daoine óga go hiondúil. Is féinmharú fadhb mhór é in Éirinn faoi láthair. Is annis an scéal é ach tá sé fíor ar an drochuair.

Ar an tríú dul síos, cuirtear a lán béime ar foghlaim de ghlanmheabhair. Oileann sé seo ár gcuimhne ach cruthaíonn sé roinnt fadhbanna móra freisin. Nuair a cuirtear a lán béime ar foghlaim de ghlanmheabhair, déanann an córas oideachais dearmad faoin scileanna tábhachtacha eile cosúil le taobhsmaointeoireacht. Cén chaoi bhforbairfidh tú scileanna nua ansin?

Tá a lán míbhuntáistí ag baint leis an gcóras oideachais mar a dúirt mé cheanna. Tóg obair bhaile mar shampla. Nuair a bhfuil mé ag caint faoi obair bhaile, níl mé staidéar san áireamh. Sin scéal eile ar fad. Is gníomh cruálach amach is amach é do pháistí. Sílimse gur cur amú ama é agus aontaíonn formhór na ndaltaí liom. Ní bhfaighimid a dóthain ama dul i ngleic lenár gcaitheamh aimsirí de réir cursaí scoile seachas i rith na laethanta saoire. Tá an iomarca imní orm faoin obair bhaile an t-am ar fad. Is féidir le múinteoirí roinnt cleachtaí deacra a thabhairt don daltaí. Uaireanta bíonn daltaí ag streacailt le hábhar an méid sin nach féidir leo triail a bhaint as an obair bhaile.

An cúigiú rud ná an Ghaeilge. Is léir go bhfuil an Ghaeilge an-tábhachtach. Idirdhealaíonn an Ghaeilge muintir na hÉireann ó chúile tír eile ar domhain. Is í an Ghaeilge ár dteanga dúchais. Áfach, caitheann an córas oideachais agus na daoine go hainnis leis an Ghaeilge. Tá an córas oideachais ag teacht salach ar dhul chun cinn an theanga. Má amharcfaimid siar an stair, fuair formhór na ndaltaí céim meánscoile agus bhí caighdeán ard acu ina theanga tríú ná Gaeilge. Déanann daltaí staidéar ar an Ghaeilge ar feadh ceithre bliana déag agus ní raibh aon eolas acu go bhfuil an rása "An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas?". Is oth liom a rá seo ach tá sé fíor ar an drochuair. Gach dalta mar oiltear! Déanann an córas oideachais dearmad faoi príomh-prionsabal amháin. Mar a deirtear, "Beatha teanga í a labhairt". Cuireadh béim beag ar cainte na Gaeilge go 2012. I 2012, d'athraigh siad Ardteist an Ghaeilge. Tá 40 faoin gcéad ag dul le Scrúdú Béil ó 2012 ar aghaidh. Ceapaim go bhfuil an bealach seo níos fearr ach níl sé a dóthain. Tá an Ghaeilge an-tábhachtach ach níor cheart do a bheith mar ábhar éigeantach. Cuirtear go leor struis neamhriachtanach ar daltaí de thoradh na Gaeilge. Cuireann sé seo fonn múisce orm. Is é an feic saolta é agus níl sé ceart, comhair nó cóthrom.

An rud deireanach ná córas na bpointí agus na gradaí. Tá an córas claonta. Cuireann an córas seo daltaí na hArdtheiste faoi bhrú agus faoi strus milteannach. Cloistear daltaí agus múinteoirí de shíor ag gearán faoi. Braitheann todhchaí an dalta go léir ar scrúdú amháin agus ar an ngníomh ar lá airithe. Beidh ar an rialtas dul i ngleic leis an bhfadhb seo láithreach. Dar liom, bheadh measúnú leanúnach níos cóthraime agus bheadh sé bunaithe ar chumas, iarracht agus díograis an dalta. Ní bheadh an strus ceanna ar dhaltaí dá mbeadh córas cóthrom mar seo curtha i láthair ag an Roinn Oideachais agus Scileanna. Le blianta beaga anuas feictear go bhfuil an Rialtas ag bogadh sa threo seo leis an Teastais Shóisearach nua ach mar is gnáth le athrú in Éirinn tá sé ina phraiseach - múinteoirí ag múineadh gan traeníl ar bith. Níl sé seo cóthrom orthu gan tracht ar na ndaltaí.

Random French vocabulary I've learned over 5th year so far

Un cours - A class
    Un emploi du temps - A timetable
    Être en retard - To be late
    Un aller-simple - A one-way ticket
    Un aller-retour - A return ticket
    L’heure de goûter - Snack time
    Gourmand - Greedy
    Effrayant - Frightening
    C’est dommage - It’s a pity
    Vieux - Old
    L’avocat - Lawyer
    Sage - Wise
    Les boules - Boules
    Le bâtiment - Building
    C’est tout près - It’s very near
    Tout droit - Straight
    À côté de - Beside
    Un billet de concert - A concert ticket
    Faire la lessive - Do the laundry
    En désordre - In a mess
    Des chaussettes - Socks
    Mon émission préféré(e) - My favourite show
    Un chaîne - A TV channel
    Se casser - To break
    Faire les courses - Do the shopping
    Un croisière - A cruise
    Un anniversaire de mariage - Wedding anniversary
    Se lever tôt - Get up early
    La barrière - Farm gate
    Le champ - Field
    Échapper - To escape
    Se fâcher - To get angry
    La santé - Health
    Au rez-de-chaussée - On the ground floor
    Un appareil photo - A camera
    Une parapluie - An umbrella
    Une casque de moto - A motorbike helmet
    Le ski nautique - Water skiing
    Du brouillard - Fog
    Un entretien - An interview
    Une formation professionelle - Professional training
    Un animateur - An assistant
    Mise en pratique - A placement
    Poser ma candidature - To apply
    Le BAC - Leaving Cert
    Une petite annonce - An advert in the the newspaper
    Un immeuble - An apartment
    En panne - Out of order
    L’ascenseur - Lift
    La circulation - Traffic
    Le bruit - Noise
    Bruyant - Noisy
    Un terrasse - A terrace
    Les informations - News
    Une inondation - A flood
    Les rues noyés - Flooded roads
    Les dégats - Damage
    Touché - Affected
    Une entreprise - A business
    Des petits-enfants - Grandchildren
    Un adolescent - A teenager
    Élever - To raise / bring up
    L’enfance - Childhood
    Garder la forme - To keep in shape
    La même taille - The same size
    Ressembler à - To resemble / look like
    Ouvrir des portes - Open up opportunities
    Mon propre style - My own style
    La vie familiale - Family life
    Le divorce - Divorce
    Serrer dans mes bras - Hold in my arms
    Ils me manquent - I miss them
    La femme de ma vie - Woman of my dreams
    Un coup de foudre - Love at first sight

French vocabulary

Décrivez vous-même

Je suis de nature - I am by nature
    On dit que je suis - People say that I am
    Mes parents disent que je suis - My parents say I am
    Mes amis disent que je suis - My friends say I am

Question Words

Qui - Who
    Que - What
    Qu’est-ce que - What
    Où - Where
    Quand - When
    Pourquoi - Why
    Comment - How
    Combien - How much / how many
    Quel(s) (masc.) - What / which
    Quelle(s) (fem.) - What / which

Relationship with your family and parents

Mes parents me donnent beaucoup de liberté car - My parents give me a lot of freedom because
    Ils me font confiance - They trust me
    Mes parents sont très compréhensifs - My parents are very understanding
    Mes parents me mettent toujours la pression pour les examens - My parents are always putting pressure on me for the exams
    Je suis gâte - I am spoiled
    Je ne suis pas gâte - I am not spoiled
    J’ai du mal à discuter avec mes parents parce que - I have difficulty talking with my parents because
    Ma mère me tape sur les neufs - My mother gets on my nerves
    Je m’entends bien avec mes parents - I get on well with my parents
    Je crois que mes parents sont - I believe that my parents are
    Je m’entends mieux avec.... que - I get on better with.... than
    Je me dispute avec - I fight with
    ________ m’agace - ________ annoys me
    ________ m’énerve - ________ annoys me
    C’est toujours la guerre entre nous! - It is always war between us!
    On se dispute comme chat et chien - We fight like cats and dogs
    Je ne peux pas supporter - I can’t support

Chores

Je range ma chambre - I tidy my room
    Je passe l’aspirateur - I vacuum / hoover
    Je fais la vaisselle - I do the washing up
    Je fais les courses - I do the shopping
    Je fais le repassage - I do the ironing
    Je mets la table - I set the table
    Je fais mon lit - I make my bed
    Je débarrasse la table - I clear the table
    Je balaie la maison - I sweep the house
    Je sors la poubelle - I take out the bin
    Je sors le chien - I take out the dog
    Je fais la poussière - I do the dusting
    Je fais la lessive - I do the laundry
    Je remplis le lave-vaisselle - I load the dishwasher
    Je vide le lave-vaisselle - I empty the dishwasher
    Je tons la pelouse - I cut the grass / mow the lawn
    Je donne à manger au chien - I feed the dog

C’est ma mère qui fait la plupart de tâches ménagères chez nous - My mother does most of the chores in our house
    Mon frère ne fait rien de tout! - My brother does nothing at all!
    Il est trop paresseux! - He is so lazy!
    J’aime aider ma mère faire - I like to help my mother do
    Que faites-vous pour aider à la maison? - What do you do to help out at home?
    Aidez-vous à la maison? - Do you help at home?
    Aidez-vous votre mère? - Do you help your mother?

Hobbies

Des passe-temps - Hobbies
    Des loisirs - Leisure activities
    Je suis un vrai fana de - I’m a true fan of
    J’aime - I like
    J’adore - I love
    Jouer des jeux-vidéo - Play video games
    Ècrire des chansons - Write songs
    Nager - Swim
    Ècouter de la musique - Listen to music
    Aller à la gym - Go the gym
    Jouer au foot - Play football
    Jouer au foot gaélique - Play gaelic football
    Garder la forme - Keep fit
    Jouer du Piano - Play piano
    Lire des livres - Read books
    Je suis un vrai rat de bibliothèque - I’m a true bookworm
    Quels sont vos loisirs? - What are your leisure activities?
    Quels sont vos passe-temps? - What are your hobbies?
    Qu’est-ce que vous aimez faire pendant votre temps libre? - What do you like to do during your free time?
    J’aime télécharger des chansons sur mon ordinateur - I like to download songs on my computer
    Je n’aime pas la lecture - I don’t like reading
    Par conséquence je trouve l’anglais ennuyant - As a result, I find English boring
    Je passe pas mal de temps en ligne - I spend quite a bit of time online
    J’ai un serveur Discord - I have a Discord server
    J’ai ma propre site - I have my own site
    J’ai une page Facebook - I have a Facebook page
    J’adore les réseaux sociaux - I love social media

• Advertisement

Sraithpictiúr a Haon: Cuairt Aintín ar Nua Eabhrac (Sraithpictiúr 2019)

Pictiúr a Haon
    Dé Céadaoin seo caite, bhí Aoife agus a deirfiúr Eimear suite os comhair na teilifíse sa seomra suí.
    Bhí siad ag fanacht ar an Lotto agus bhí ticéid ag Aoife.
    Craoladh an clár Lotto ag a hocht a chlog.
    Nuair a tháinig na huimreacha ar an scáileán, cuireadh a sháith iontais ar Aoife.
    Bhí an bua aici.
    Bhí sí ar mhuin na muice.

Pictiúr a Dó
    Ghlaoigh Aoife ar a haintín i Nua-Eabhrac.
    Niamh ab ainm de haintín.
    Tá sí ina cónaí in árasán in Manhattan.
    Dúirt Aoife le Niamh gur bhuaigh sí millún euro.
    Ní fhéadfadh Niamh a chreidiúint gur bhuaigh a gariníon an Crannchur Náisiúnta.
    Bhí Niamh ar mhuin na muice.

Pictiúr a Trí
    Bhí siad idir dhá chomhairle faoi cad a dhéanfaidís leis an t-airgead.
    Mhothaigh siad go mba cheart dóibh rud éigin a thabhairt do charthanachtaí nó teach nua le linn snámha a cheannach.
    Sa dheireadh, bheartaigh siad cuairt a tabhairt ar Niamh.
    Níor fhaca siad Niamh le bianta.
    Bhí siad ag tnúth go mór leis.

Pictiúr a Ceathair
    Chuaigh siad go dtí an t-aerfort Bhaile Átha Cliath.
    D'ardaigh siad a seolta leo go Meiriceá ina dhiaidh sin.
    Bhí an ghrian ag scoilteadh na gcloch.
    Bhí an turas fada.
    Bhí siad tuirseach ach bhí sceitimíní orthu Niamh a fheiceáil ag an t-am ceanna.
    Bhí siad ag tnúth go mór leis an saoire freisin.

Pictiúr a Cúig
    Tá árasán galánta ag Niamh.
    Chuaigh siad go mbialann mar bhí ocras an domhain orthu tar éis an turais fada.
    D'ith siad béile le chéile.
    Thaitin an bhéile sin leo mar bhí sé blásta agus neamúil.
    Chuaigh siad go dtí an t-amharclann ina dhiaidh.
    Chonaic siad ceol dhrama "Mamma Mia" agus bhí grá acu do cheol dhrama.

Pictiúr a Sé
    Chuaigh siad ar thuras bus timpeall na cathrach an lá ina ndiaidh.
    Thug siad cuairt ar stocmhalartán Nua-Eabhrac ar Shráid an Bhalla.
    Tar éis lóin chuaigh siad ag siopadóireacht in Macys.
    Cheannaigh siad a lán rudaí in Macys.
    Ní raibh pingin rua fágtha acu ina dhiaidh.
    Mar a deirtear, "bíonn an siúlaí scealach".

The Consumer notes for Business

The Consumer
    • A consumer is a person who buys a good or service for their own use and not for resale.
    Non-legislative methods to solving conflicts
    • Negotiation - Process of bargaining to try to reach a mutually acceptable solution. The consumer goes back to the shop and explains the problem with their purchased and sets out what he would like the shop to do to solve the problem. They try to reach a compromise.
    • Consumer Association of Ireland - An interest group which aims to make sure consumers get good quality products and services.
    • Ombudsman - Deals with complaints against government agencies and it's a free service. They are the last resort before legislative methods. They investigate disputes and issue recommendations.
    Consumer Association of Ireland
    • The CAI gives advice on you rights and on how to solve a consumer problem.
    • The CAI publishes a magazine called Consumer Choice explaining consumer rights.
    • The CAI lobby's the Government about consumer issues such as consumer law.
    • The CAI is an independent, non-profit making organisation for consumers.
    • It aims to make consumers aware of their laws and rights by their website, shoppers rights cards etc.
    • Investigates breaches of consumer law like power to enter the premises, take evidence, contact Garda etc.
    Evaluation of the Ombudsman
    • I think that the Ombudsman is effective because:
    • - It's a free service.
    • - Less intimidating than dealing with the government agency yourself.
    Benefits of solving consumer conflict in a non-legislative manner
    • Cheap - No need to pay for solicitors.
    • Quick - No waiting for appointments or court dates.
    • Friendlier - Easier to have good relations when the dispute is over.
    Legislative methods of solving conflicts
    • Consumer Protection Act 2007
    • Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980
    • National Consumer Agency
    • Small Claims Court
    Consumer Protection Act 2007
    • This law deals with unfair business to consumer commercial practices. It does not apply to dealings between businesses.
    • A commercial practice is any conduct or description offered by a business to a consumer before, during or after the consumer's transaction with the business.
    • This Act prohibits the following practices:
    • - Misleading Practices
    • - Aggressive Practices
    • - Prohibited Practices
    1. Misleading Practices
    • A commercial practice is misleading if it contains false information or misleads the average consumer.
    • Leaving out information that a consumer would need to make an informed purchasing, decisions are all considered misleading practices.
    • It is an offence for a business to make misleading claims about:
    • - The nature of the product
    • - The result to be expected from the product
    • - The product's main characteristics
    • - The product's usage and prior history
    2. Aggressive Practices
    • A commercial practice is aggressive if the business harasses the consumer or puts them under unfair pressure.
    • The law bans the following aggressive practices:
    • - Threatening or abusive language or behaviour by a trader.
    3. Prohibited Practices
    • The following practices are banned in all cases and it is an offence for any business to engage in them:
    • - Making untrue claims that the product can cure illnesses.
    • - Advertising that a business is holding a closing down sale or moving to new premises when the trader has no intention of closing down or moving premises.
    • - Telling the consumer that they have won a free gift when in fact it will cost them to claim the free gift.
    • - Running a competition offering a top prize when in fact there is no top prize.
    Sanctions and Penalties
    • The law gives the National Consumer Agency a range of powers to ensure that a business obeys this law:
    • - It can prosecute (take to court).
    • - It can issue them with a Compliance Notice which orders the business to stop and obey the law by a certain date.
    • - It can issue fines.
    Evaluation of the Consumer Protection Act 2007
    • I think this is a good law because:
    • - It protects consumers from sharp practices and con men that seek to rip off consumers.
    • - It ensures consumers get fair and honest information about what they are buying and the price they will have to pay.
    National Consumer Agency
    • Informs consumers of their rights. They do this through their website, shoppers rights cards etc.
    • Investigates breaches of consumer laws.
    • Conducts research into consumer issues by lobbying the Government.
    • Acts as a representative for consumers.
    Small Claims Court
    • Quick - Aims to handle consumer complaints quickly within 4 weeks. No lawyers are involved.
    • Cheap - Costs only €25 to apply.
    • Amount - Consumers can only claim up to €2,000.
    Evaluation of the Small Claims Court
    • I think that the Small Claims Court is effective because:
    • - It ensures that consumers get justice quickly and cheaply.
    • - It is convenient as it is local or online.
    • - It is informal and not like a normal court.
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980
    • This Act gives the following rights to consumers:
    • Retailer must solve consumer complaints - If a consumer returns an item to a shop, they cannot be told to contact the manufacturer.
    • Merchantable quality - Goods must be of an acceptable standard for the price paid for them.
    • Fit for purpose - Goods must function as they are supposed to.
    • Correspond to description - Goods and services must match their description.
    • Correspond to sample - Goods must match samples displayed or advertised.
    • Services - Must be provided by a qualified person.
    • Guarantees - Guarantees are extra protection given to consumers. It gives them the choice of getting the manufacturer to fix the goods or getting the retailer to deal with the complaint.
    Redress
    • A consumer is entitled to a remedy or redress if the product/service is not working.
    • If the fault is a major one and discovered soon after the purchase, the consumer is entitled to a full refund provided they complain quickly.
    • The consumer may decide to accept a replacement of the product or service instead.
    • If the product/service was obtained some time ago, the best the consumer can expect is a repair.
    Evaluation of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980
    • I think that this law is very effective because:
    • - It gives rights to consumers.
    • - It ensures that the consumers can get their money back if the law is broken.
    • - Consumers now have more confidence to complain and will not be fobbed off by retailers.
    Caveat Emptor
    • Means "Let the buyer beware"

More Irish phrases

I gcuinne mo thola Against my will
    Ní gearánta dúinn We shouldn't complain
    Cleachtadh a dhéanann máistreacht Practice makes perfect
    Idir an dá linn In the meantime
    Ní cheannódh an saol an suaimhneas Money can't buy you happiness
    Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin There's no place like home
    Go n-éirí on bóthar leat May the road rise with you

Les expressions animalières (French)

Appeler un chat un chat – To call a spade a spade
    Verser des larmes de crocodile – To cry crocodile tears
    Avoir un chat dans la gorge – To have a frog in your throat
    Filer comme un lapin – To be in a rush
    Avoir une mémoire d’éléphant – To have the memory of an elephant
    Avoir une fièvre de cheval – To have a high temperature
    Être malin comme un singe – To be as clever as a monkey
    Il fait un temps de chien – It’s bad weather
    Il fait un froid de canard – It’s freezing
    Manger comme un cochon – To eat messily

Les animaux (French)

Les animaux domestiques (Pets)
    Un chat – Cat
    Un chaton – Kitten
    Un chien – Dog
    Un chiot – Puppy
    Un hamster – Hamster
    Un lapin – Rabbit
    Un poisson rouge – Goldfish
    Une souris – Mouse
    Une tortue – Tortoise

Les animaux sauvages (Wild animals)
    Un éléphant – Elephant
    Une girafe – Giraffe
    Un loup – Wolf
    Un ours – Bear
    Un renard – Fox
    Un sanglier – Boar
    Un singe – Monkey
    Un tigre – Tiger

Les reptiles (Reptiles)
    Un alligator – Alligator
    Un crocodile – Crocodile
    Un lézard – Lizard
    Un serpent – Snake

Les animaux de la ferme (Farm animals)
    Un âne – Donkey
    Un canard – Duck
    Un cheval – Horse
    Une chèvre – Goat
    Un cochon – Pig
    Un mouton – Sheep
    Une poule – Hen
    Un poussin – Chicken
    Une vache – Cow
    Un veau – Calf

Les oiseaux (Birds)
    Un oiseau – Bird
    Un aigle – Eagle
    Un canari – Canary
    Un cygne – Swan
    Un dindon – Turkey
    Un hibou – Owl
    Une mouette – Seagull
    Une oie – Goose
    Un perroquet – Parrot
    Un pigeon – Pigeon
    Un pingouin – Penguin

Les insectes (Insects)
    Une abeille – Bee
    Une coccinelle – Ladybird
    Une fourmi – Ant
    Une guêpe – Wasp
    Une mouche – Fly
    Un moustique – Mosquito

Les poissons et animaux aquatiques (Fish & aquatic animals)
    Une baleine – Whale
    Un dauphin – Dolphin
    Un saumon – Salmon
    Un phoque – Seal
    Un requin – Shark
    Une truite – Trout

Les amphibiens (Amphibians)
    Un crapaud – Toad
    Une grenouille – Frog
    Une salamandre – Salamandre

• Advertisement

Adverbs (French)

An adverb is a word that describes a verb – how an action is carried out.
    In English, most adverbs end in –ly.
    In French, most adverbs are formed by adding –ment to the feminine form of the adjective. (* There are some exceptions!)

Doucement – Gently
    Facilement – Easily
    Heureusement – Happily
    Absolument – Absolutely
    Poliment – Politely
    Vraiment – Really, truly
    Constamment – Constantly
    Récemment – Recently
    Aveuglément – Blindly
    Énormément – Enormously
    Profondément – Profoundly
    D’abord – At first
    Ailleurs – Elsewhere
    Cependant – However
    Davantage – More
    Déjà – Already
    Ensuite – Then
    Néanmoins – Nevertheless
    Pourtant – However
    Quelquefois – Sometimes
    Sinon – Otherwise
    Soudain – Suddenly
    Souvent – Often
    Toujours – Always
    Vite – Quickly
    Bien – Well
    Brièvement – Briefly
    Gentiment – Nicely
    Mal – Badly
    Mieux – Better/best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Your French notes are excellent, mais je me permets quand même de faire quelques corrections :) I don't know if they're typos / if your teacher gave you them wrong, but they stood out to me.

UN parapluie - it's masculine. It feels like it should be feminine, but it's not!

Un immeuble isn't so much an apartment as a building or a property, hence why if you ever try to live in France you'll see things like "quiet [appartement] in a nice old [immeuble]". It's related to the word "immobile", as in non-moving, since that's what buildings do. :p Not that apartments move, but... y'know.

Le bac would be written in lowercase; it's not an acronym.
    Les rues noyéEs (rue = feminine), but that would mean a drowned street... I've never seen that, but une rue inondées would sound more normal to me (and I googled that and found articles from last week with that phrasing).

Not sure if it's just an accentuation thing but since you were quite thorough otherwise and even put the circumflex, it's gâté, with an é.

"Je ne peux pas supporter" is a bit English. In French pouvoir is always to do with actual capability. I googled for some examples and one (rather dramatic lol) link I found was a woman saying she "ne [peut] pas supporter" that her boyfriend has had girlfriends before him - so it's more like she tries to deal with it, but can't. On the other hand, someone was saying they can't stand being touched and it was "je ne supporte pas qu'on me touche", again, more of an objective statement of the reality.

C'est X qui fait la plupart DES tâches ménagères, because you talk about "les tâches" in general and then its la plupart de + les. (This also applies with beaucoup)

And this one you had twice - j'aime aider ma mère À faire les tâches. You help someone à do something.

Jouer AUX jeux vidéo (jouer à un jeu, de an instrument)
    J'ai mon propre site (masculine)

J'espère t'avoir un peu aidé ! Bon courage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Given what you said about copyright material, I take it you made the geography graphics in the first message yourself. As they are very impressive, can I ask what software you used to create them?

Given what you said about copyright material, I take it you made the geography graphics in the first message yourself. As they are very impressive, can I ask what software you used to create them?

No, I just embedded them from sites, to make the notes look clearer and neater on here. Like if you right click onto them, you'll find them on the sites.

For example, the parts of the Earth one is on the BBC site. Right click it and you will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Ok. Thanks.
    (But shouldn't you be acknowledging your sources then? It wouldn't take much to stick an appropriate acknowledgement under each one.)

Ok. Thanks.
    (But shouldn't you be acknowledging your sources then? It wouldn't take much to stick an appropriate acknowledgement under each one.)

Ok, I thought embedding it from their sites than uploading it myself was enough. I will from now on if I use any diagrams online.

Advertisement