Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment blocks dublin

Options
  • 14-12-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anybody lived in apartment blocks in Dublin where you couldn't hear your neighbours water pipes?

I've stayed in a few apartment blocks(built in mid 90s/early 00s) and the noise eventually gets to me(more so building noise rather than human voices etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Live on top floor, can't hear people downstairs. Got big loud pump that must annoy the people below me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Lived in Honeypark apartments in Dun Laoghaire, second flour. Couldn't hear anything, better sound proof than 3 bed semi. People on the ground and first floor complained about the front door. The apartments were built by Cosgrave and they are very good builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

soundproofing is very lacking in Irish apartments. Theres apartments in NY , Germany etc.. that you could play a drum kit in and nobody would hear. In Dublin water pumps humming cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chris_marina

Lived in Clearstream Court in Finglas village, really well built and couldn't hear anything from the neighbours.

Living in City Gate in Meakstown now, complex is nice but apartments appear to be made of cardboard; wooden floors between levels, no concrete. Can hear the guy upstairs peeing during the night, can even hear him turning (among other things) in the bed. I've regularly been woken at 5.30 am at weekends and have put up with unreasonable noise for almost 3 years. After an obscene amount of complaints to the management company, nothing was ever resolved. Thankfully, I'm moving out on 23rd Dec... finally some peace and quiet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

srsly78 wrote: »
    Live on top floor, can't hear people downstairs. Got big loud pump that must annoy the people below me tho.

Live next door to the bank. May as well be a cemetry at night.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 spucey2

Zenify wrote: »
    The apartments were built by Cosgrave and they are very good builders.

Interesting. One of the apartments I was talking about was also 'Cosgrave' built..but this had issues with a) really bad water pump noise and b) really bad partition walls between apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

spucey2 wrote: »
    Interesting. One of the apartments I was talking about was also 'Cosgrave' built..but this had issues with a) really bad water pump noise and b) really bad partition walls between apartments.

Could be based on time? Honeypark is a new development and Cosgrave are actually still on site. Maybe in the past they weren't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Most of the apartments I’ve lived in I couldn’t really hear anything from the neighbors, unless they were having a party or something (I did live beside an Airbnb for a bit, which wasn’t fun; was a big part of why I moved). Mostly city center blocks built between the 80s and noughties. Mind you, maybe I just don’t notice noise easily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zenify wrote: »
    Could be based on time? Honeypark is a new development and Cosgrave are actually still on site. Maybe in the past they weren't as good.

Evwn the same builders can be very variable over time as regs, potential sale value, materials etc change

There's basically waves of comparative quality - there was a period in the 70s when Irish Cement was on strike and buildings were built with the worst crap of ash and aggregates possible; but the rest of the 70s is pretty good. 80s crash buildings are terrible and then early 90s much better due to the modern building regs coming in etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18 everwander

Lived in Symphony House on Adelaide Road and the apartments were built living room to bedroom - fine if you kept the same sleep schedule as the neighbours but otherwise a total nightmare. We had a group of students next door who would come in at 3am and discuss love, life and the universe and we could hear every word - ended up moving from the larger en-suite room into the second bedroom to try and get some sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Lived in an apartment where could clearly hear the neighbouring couple having it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I think Silverbacks in Baldoyle is a Beautiful apartment (mostly) complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not issue with heading pipes/pumps/appliances from neighbours here (apartment from the mid 2000s in the docklands).

Besides our own water pump being noisy inside the apartment, the only noise issue we have is that the entrance door is not really better that other doors in the apartment. So If someone is being noisy in the corridor or very noisy in the apartment opposite to us we can hear if very clearly.

Advertisement