Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas

Options
  • 14-12-2017 6:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

Wishing everyone at the concrete jungle a happy Christmas!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Absolutely. Caught red handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I was going to the bathroom for the first time ever in an exam, so I didn't know that they searched your pockets. I had a sticky note that I intended to look at, that had a few phrase that would jog my memory.

As I emptied my pockets, I said something stupid like "oh I forgot this from this morning, you can bin them actually". He looked at them and walked away. A different invigilator came over and seemed to act as though everything was okay, and told me I could go to the bathroom. I didn't give them my module code... only my student number.

Will this get back to my lecturer?

When exactly did you intend to look at it? When you were in the bathroom during the exam, or before the exam, while you were waiting for the hall to open? You weren't caught cheating. You were caught with notes in your pocket on the way to the bathroom.

I've no idea what happens next, but I would imagine you'd be informed fairly quickly if you're being investigated. You should probably contact the student union education officer - they'll be able to advise you better than anyone on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I was going to the bathroom for the first time ever in an exam, so I didn't know that they searched your pockets. I had a sticky note that I intended to look at, that had a few phrase that would jog my memory.

As I emptied my pockets, I said something stupid like "oh I forgot this from this morning, you can bin them actually". He looked at them and walked away. A different invigilator came over and seemed to act as though everything was okay, and told me I could go to the bathroom. I didn't give them my module code... only my student number.

Will this get back to my lecturer?

Get rid of this post now. Somebody you took the exam with may cop it's you. You've admitted your intentions online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

RayM wrote: »
    When exactly did you intend to look at it? When you were in the bathroom during the exam, or before the exam, while you were waiting for the hall to open? You weren't caught cheating. You were caught with notes in your pocket on the way to the bathroom.

I've no idea what happens next, but I would imagine you'd be informed fairly quickly if you're being investigated. You should probably contact the student union education officer - they'll be able to advise you better than anyone on here.
    Happy xmas to u too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

It's not cheating to have "notes" in your pocket, it's cheating to read them during the exam. You haven't cheated but it's pretty obvious that you would have if you hadn't been searched.

Let that be a lesson to you!

exaisle wrote: »
    It's not cheating to have "notes" in your pocket, it's cheating to read them during the exam. You haven't cheated but it's pretty obvious that you would have if you hadn't been searched.

Let that be a lesson to you!
    hi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So you're saying the procedure for invigilators is not to bother investigating further, if they get the notes off the him/her before they get to the jacks?!

The procedure is whatever they decide it is on the day. If they follow the full extent of the rules they can ban you from taking any exams for something like 5 years and invalidate any you have done this year. Things like that seem to be more to scare people than be used except maybe in extreme cases. I've heard of people getting 0 on the current exam and having to do the repeats and being capped at 40% no matter what you get in the repeat. If they were going to do anything I would have expected them to ask you to wait at the end of the exam to talk to them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xlogo

As I emptied my pockets, I said something stupid like "oh I forgot this from this morning, you can bin them actually". She looked at them and walked away. A different invigilator came over and seemed to act as though everything was okay, and told me I could go to the bathroom.

You did nothing wrong other than to have the intent to cheat - you didn't actually do it.

Study harder next time :-))

xlogo wrote: »
    Study harder next time :-))
    Oh you should look at the other thread I posted today! about sitting down and study.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    The procedure is whatever they decide it is on the day. If they follow the full extent of the rules they can ban you from taking any exams for something like 5 years and invalidate any you have done this year. Things like that seem to be more to scare people than be used except maybe in extreme cases. I've heard of people getting 0 on the current exam and having to do the repeats and being capped at 40% no matter what you get in the repeat. If they were going to do anything I would have expected them to ask you to wait at the end of the exam to talk to them about it.
    Om

ElChe32 wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    The general consensus, is that I'm not busted!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The general consensus, is that I'm not busted!

Not yet maybe, but you've incriminated yourself on this thread by admitting that you did intend to cheat. as another poster pointed out you could be readily and easily identifiable by what you've posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

An important life skill you need to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

On the other hand... what would there have been to talk about. Nothing I could say would be credible. That's why I thought they might have just passed it on to someone who knows what the notes meant!

They would at least inform you that they are investigating the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Hold on OP, i don't think you're in the clear just yet! They might have caught you before leaving the room with the notes, but how can they be sure you weren't peeking at them during the exam? I would expect this to come back to you.

Advertisement