Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R End of Year Awards 2017

• 14-12-2017 10:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for later than normal kick-off.

The below shamelessly copied directly from last years thread. :)

Nominations will be considered from December 1st 2016 - December 24th 2017.
    Race of the Year
    Performance of the Year: Track & Field & XC
    Performance of the Year: Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra

Please send your nominations (one per category) by PM to me by 11:59:59 on December 24th. We will then take the nominations and put up a poll for each category to determine a winner who will receive a virtual high five.

Only nominations pm'd to me will be considered, on thread nominations may be missed.

As per other years, please don't slag off other peoples performances as they will not have been asked to have been selected.

Feel free to discuss and link posts, threads, race reports, reminders of performances etc in this thread to help refresh peoples memories before they nominate.

Normal Boards and A/R rules apply - no criticism of other poster's suggestions will be tolerated here.

So, the full list of categories to send nominations in:
    • Most Improved Athlete
    • New poster of the year
    • Poster of the year
    • Performance of the Year: Track & Field & XC
    • Performance of the Year: Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra
    • Race of the year
    • Thread of the year
    • Training log of the year
    • Race report of the year
    • Post of the year
    • Photo of the year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Contender for post of the year?

My clubmate AMK's hurt over being used by Duanington...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

James McClean getting RTE Sports Personality of the Year for scoring one goal against Wales, ahead of the likes of Katie Taylor and Paul O'Donovan, would be akin to somebody finishing 10th in the Vicarstown Parkrun getting the Boards Performance of the Year. New found respect for the Boards awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Chivito550 wrote: »
    James McClean getting RTE Sports Personality of the Year for scoring one goal against Wales, ahead of the likes of Katie Taylor and Paul O'Donovan, would be akin to somebody finishing 10th in the Vicarstown Parkrun getting the Boards Performance of the Year. New found respect for the Boards awards.

It was a public vote which makes the result all the more dumbfounding. McClean barely scrapes into a bad West Brom team, he won it fair and square but a sad state of affairs he was ahead of the likes of Katie Taylor and Paul O Donovan as you say. A girl I trained with was a double world champ and is far more worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

All awards are largly nonsense but especially so when voted for by the public. There is some merit in awards voted on by peers like players player of the year etc and this forums awards are as worthy as any mainly because they are mostly a bit of craic. McClean got his award based on publicity over not wearing a poppy, which is his right but not a good basis for a sporting acholade. Katie Taylor should not have split up with god if she wants more awards, god is a good corner man I believe. Aiden OBrien is too modest and busy to try to be impressing joe facebook. As for rowing sure anyone can do that, sure you dont even have to know how to swim. Basicly what Im trying to say is people are morons when it comes to awards and all the other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ultrapercy wrote: »
    All awards are largly nonsense but especially so when voted for by the public. There is some merit in awards voted on by peers like players player of the year etc and this forums awards are as worthy as any mainly because they are mostly a bit of craic. McClean got his award based on publicity over not wearing a poppy, which is his right but not a good basis for a sporting acholade. Katie Taylor should not have split up with god if she wants more awards, god is a good corner man I believe. Aiden OBrien is too modest and busy to try to be impressing joe facebook. As for rowing sure anyone can do that, sure you dont even have to know how to swim. Basicly what Im trying to say is people are morons when it comes to awards and all the other stuff.

Agreed. Same boll0x in music. Things like MTV Awards and Brit Awards would have teenaged girls ringing up a dozen times to vote for Westlife or some other rubbish act. Things like the Grammy Awards are genuinely prestigious as the nominations and then awards are voted by actual musicians, singers, producers etc, people who know a thing or two about the industry.

Mind you, remember when the RTÉ Awards were judged by a panel of 6 including Dunphy, Hook, Spillane, Ted Walsh, and 2 other muppets, and they voted Henry Shefflin over Derval O’Rourke. Supposedly Shefflin apologized to O’Rourke and was mortified to be chosen over her. Not sure if that’s true or just one of those old wives tales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Can someone nominate my training log please?
    Sorry, can't post a link for some reason. *Cough*

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ultrapercy wrote: »

Agreed. Same boll0x in music. Things like MTV Awards and Brit Awards would have teenaged girls ringing up a dozen times to vote for Westlife or some other rubbish act. Things like the Grammy Awards are genuinely prestigious as the nominations and then awards are voted by actual musicians, singers, producers etc, people who know a thing or two about the industry.

Mind you, remember when the RTÉ Awards were judged by a panel of 6 including Dunphy, Hook, Spillane, Ted Walsh, and 2 other muppets, and they voted Henry Shefflin over Derval O’Rourke. Supposedly Shefflin apologized to O’Rourke and was mortified to be chosen over her. Not sure if that’s true or just one of those old wives tales.
    I was watching the noght your talking about and to be fair Shefflin did look mortified. It wasnt his fault of course the mortification should have been on the part of the panel of 'experts'. That was the one that did it for me, I stopped taking awards of all kinds seriously after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can someone nominate my training log please?
    Sorry, can't post a link for some reason. *Cough*
    No they can't because I deleted your log due to your abusive behaviour.

*cough*

Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Can you vote for yourself..............asking for a friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Contender for post of the year?

My clubmate AMK's hurt over being used by Duanington...

Thanks J,

But this , from Krusty, by a country mile. (The 'sacrifice' paragraph)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Excellent shout there. I was on a mini break from here when it was posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thanks J,

But this , from Krusty, by a country mile. (The 'sacrifice' paragraph)

I find that post inspiring and depressing in equal measure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Times running out ;)
    Looks like no polls this year as we seem to have clear winners across the board. Great for me, saves me a whole load of time :D

Merry Christmas all. Have a great day with your loved ones and best of goal mileing / xmas runs / rest days to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Do you allow write-in's for post of the year? Probably too late for entry but one of the best posts in any year.

What I have learned by Testosterscone

OK some polls added for those that have enough nominations to create a poll (3 or more)
    You have a week to vote - will hopefully have results up that week. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

OK some polls added for those that have enough nominations to create a poll (3 or more)
    You have a week to vote - will hopefully have results up that week. :)

Cheers again for taking time out year on year to do this RQ.

For anyone yet to vote, polls all close about 9:30 tonight.

Is there a category for MOD of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Exactly wrote: »
    Is there a category for MOD of the year?

It would take a brave/stupid/suicidal mod to run against RQ!

Advertisement