Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Broadband

• 14-12-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Has anyone signed up to Virgin Broadband in Ennis?
    Is it good?
    Any problems particularly with wifi? Not sure if I should wait for SIRO I'm currently with Vodafone but the wifi coverage is very sketchy at times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Fairly certain UPC/Virgin is not available in Ennis. During the Chorus rollout in the late 90s Thurles, Clonmel and Limerick city were the only areas it rolled out to. Ennis and Nenagh were planned but it never came to fruition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Fairly certain UPC/Virgin is not available in Ennis. During the Chorus rollout in the late 90s Thurles, Clonmel and Limerick city were the only areas it rolled out to. Ennis and Nenagh were planned but it never came to fruition.

I thought the same but Virgin Media is actually available in Ennis now.

Ennis used to have an old Cablelink cable back in the day, though small. I thought the same and noticed Virgin Media contractors over the past year laying fibre. Yes some areas of Ennis are served by Virgin Media up to 360Mbps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have VM in Ennis, it's spot on, constant speed and I don't think I've had a single outage in the year I've had it. I don't know about the wifi in the router that comes with it as I use my own router

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Thanks Clareman can I ask if they run a new line directly into the house? Fibre seems to stop at the wall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Claregirl wrote: »
    Thanks Clareman can I ask if they run a new line directly into the house? Fibre seems to stop at the wall.

Yup, new cable into the house, comes in through the ducting into the house, for me it came into the living room next to where to the TV point is, very tidy job.

I just remotely connected to my system at home and the below are the speeds right now

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 326251 kbps (40781.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 37164 kbps (4645.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 5 ms
    Jitter: 3 ms
    12/15/2017, 4:04:18 PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's been in Shannon for decades too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Is it good?
    Any problems particularly with wifi? Not sure if I should wait for SIRO I'm currently with Vodafone but the wifi coverage is very sketchy at times.

Virgin is being rolled out in large areas of Ennis now. I've seen them digging up lots of estates to install the cables... though for some reason the 200 odd houses on my road are not being serviced by them nor Siro nor Eir fibre.... very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it good?

Wifi coverage is dependent not only on the device supplied by the provider, but where it is positioned and what other interference is present in the locality/premises.

It is not sensible to change provider because the wifi coverage is not great, without first finding the cause of the problem and trying to eliminate it.

In many cases a different provider will have the same problems anyway.

Advertisement