Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 detached vs 2 semi detached build cost

Options
  • 15-12-2017 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I see less and less detached houses being built in new estates, compared to semi-d's & terraced.

Is the actual build cost of a detached that much more?
    Is it just building 2 external walls vs 1 party wall?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

spucey2 wrote: »
    I see less and less detached houses being built in new estates, compared to semi-d's & terraced.

Is the actual build cost of a detached that much more?
    Is it just building 2 external walls vs 1 party wall?

More to do with numbers.
    Developers want more houses to justify the development, the council also want more houses to get more housing into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 spucey2

the space saving cant be that big can it?
    could they not just have 10 inch gap between houses..
    same space as semi-d's but houses with some small gap between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One less wall to build, and the space between 10 or 15 or so houses equals space for another house.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Its as much to do with density requirements as profitability

No, because this small gap creates a minefield of problems in later years with regards to maintenance, debris, infestation and legal ownership rights.

plus, this small gap spread over many houses, makes enough space for another house, that would be better welcomed by the developer, council and people looking to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What would be the point of having that gap, just for the sake of being detached. The only advantage I can see might be sound transmission which shouldn't happen if built solidly anyway. As I see it the advantages of detached are having the space around your house to use. A 10 inch gap seems pointless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

cruizer101 wrote: »
    What would be the point of having that gap, just for the sake of being detached. The only advantage I can see might be sound transmission which shouldn't happen if built solidly anyway. As I see it the advantages of detached are having the space around your house to use. A 10 inch gap seems pointless to me.

Sound insulation in new builds is god awful

Have been in a few A3 homes last 2 years while looking and you can hear everything from neighbours

Showers, toilets flushing, TV, even conversations if loud speakers

Wouldnt recommend a modern semi d over that

The old crap houses I saw which needed lots of refurbishment had much better sound insulation, couldnt hear anything

thierry14 wrote: »
    Sound insulation in new builds is god awful

Have been in a few A3 homes last 2 years while looking and you can hear everything from neighbours

Showers, toilets flushing, TV, even conversations if loud speakers

Wouldnt recommend a modern semi d over that

The old crap houses I saw which needed lots of refurbishment had much better sound insulation, couldnt hear anything

I have a 20 year old block built home with sold block party wall and the sound transmission is the same as new builds.

Nothing will stop impact sounds in any dwelling connected to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's more than one walls cost in most designs of house, there'll be extra roofing, guttering etc

Also, the distances put between them now are comical. Theres gaps every 5 houses in my terrace that are wider than the 500k detached houses the other side of the town have. People won't pay sufficient premium

Advertisement