Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to jump ship

Options
  • 15-12-2017 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I've been experiencing issues in work of late and feel like my time is up with my employer. So strongly thinking that i'll hand in my notice in the new year. I'm a part timer with 15hrs per week. I was flicking through my contract this evening to check for my notice period which is one month, that's fine for me but I did notice that in my contract it states I am entitled to twenty days annual leave. Due to working PT hours I get eight days per year. Should the 20 days hold up because it's in my contract or does it go out the window because I am part time? I have been there 18 months or so.

If they are valid days will they be due to be paid when I leave? Myself and the office manager aren't on great terms at all and haven't been for awhile.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Annual leave accrues based on hours worked, to accrue 20 days leave you have to work the equivalent of 5 days per week for a year. Your 8 days sounds about right for the hours you work.

See here on how to calculate leave.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

davo10 wrote: »
    Annual leave accrues based on hours worked, to accrue 20 days leave you have to work the equivalent of 5 days per week for a year. Your 8 days sounds about right for the hours you work.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html
    That's statutory minimum

If the Ops employment contract does use words like "pro rata hours worked", then there's a good argument for the full 20 days entitlement. Some HR managers have no idea what they are doing when drawing up contracts.

OK you need to check the wording of your contract very carefully to see what it says.

But if I was to guess, I'd say contract says holiday entitlement is dependent on hours worked (8% of hours worked capped at 20 days per year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kelcon87

davo10 wrote: »

Ah thanks, I was just wondering tbh! In my contract it just says

" in addition to public holidays, you will be granted 20 days of annual leave. The leave year runs from 1st January and ends on 31st of December each year. Leave cannot be carried over to the new leave year without the approval of the management, to whom you must give notice of your intention to take leave"

I knew the 8 days was about right but wanted to know if I could actually have the 20 days since its in the contract. Thanks all the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You're entitled to 20 if it's in your contract.

Personally I'd let them off the mistake. Probably. But if your employer was ****ty to you, like refusing to provide a glowing written reference there's no harm making the demand. (Nothing stopping them saying your days are 3 hrs long either)

Advertisement