Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING about Charity Christmas Cards

Options
  • 15-12-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Maybe I have been niave about this and please accept my apologies in advance if this rant is about something that most of you are already aware of.

We recently bought a pack of Christmas cards in aid of Down Syndrome Ireland, assuming that a good portion of the sales goes to them, as this was the main reason for buying this particular, since a lot of cards look the same after all.

We paid €8.95 but I see on the back of the box today, that the charity gets a minimum of 45c per pack. To me, this seems an extremely small amount, given that this charity (and many others) are having their names/logos splattered across the front of the box to promote the sales of these cards.

Our main reason for choosing this box of cards, against any others, was that we were supporting this charity.

This company also promote many other Christmas cards with various charities, I am assuming they all have the same agreement in place.

Now I know that some may say that this is the minimum amount and there may be cases where the charity gets more. My point is, should the charity not get a larger minimum amount?

I also am aware that these amount details were stated on the box (albeit the back of the box) when we bought them, so its our own fault.

Just thought I'd make this more known about in case others are under the same misunderstanding as we were.

Next year, we'll buy a cheaper set and donate the cash we saved to the charity, giving the charity a better return.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

It has always been thus I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Absolutely nothing new in this. There has always been a racket with these cards purporting to be in aid of charity. It's always worth reading the details in the pack before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Yes it's always been like that!
    Sometimes you can buy cards and calendars directly from charities (animal charities for example) and they get all of the profit so it's worth looking out for those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Bought cards directly from Peter McVerry trust this year after years of doing what OP was. Makes sense to cut out the middleman, sorry never copped it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Yes it's always been like that!
    Sometimes you can buy cards and calendars directly from charities (animal charities for example) and they get all of the profit so it's worth looking out for those.

That sounds like a much better plan for next year then, thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Of the €8.95, - €1.60 is vat, about €3 goes to the retailer (in fairness they have massive costs), about 45c to the charity (this 45c does not have vat) and the balance is manufacturer costs.

In some cases a fixed fee is paid to the charity instead of an amount per pack.

As above, best way is to purchase direct from a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks for the heads up irishbloke. Have to buy some cards tomorrow so will keep am eye on this. Another option of course is to pick up a more reasonable pack of normal cards and donate the difference direct to the charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How do you buy direct

• Registered Users Posts: 18 don_carlos

Bought some for the ReachOut charity from Supervalu. There is no info anywhere on the box how much of the 7.99 goes to the charity!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Go onto website of whatever charity you want to support + most sell their cards this way. That's how I got mine + 45% of price went back to charity. Cutting out retailer saves them a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

don_carlos wrote: »
    Bought some for the ReachOut charity from Supervalu. There is no info anywhere on the box how much of the 7.99 goes to the charity!

That's probably done on a fee basis - eg, they are paid €xxxx in order that their name/logo is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Better buying direct from the charity which is what I did this year and like most here, wondering why I did not do this sooner, bought directly from Milford Hospice, a well deserving charity.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That's probably done on a fee basis - eg, they are paid €xxxx in order that their name/logo is used.

It should still have details somewhere on the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Oxfam shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I was in a sue ryder charity shop last week and they were selling packs of eight really lovely good quality cards for only one euro. I presume if they were being sold in shops they would only get 45 cent so better sell them direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I was in a sue ryder charity shop last week and they were selling packs of eight really lovely good quality cards for only one euro. I presume if they were being sold in shops they would only get 45 cent so better sell them direct.
    All fine and well buying direct but I know the charities make more by selling larger quantities at lower take rather than selling direct. Many charities made an attempt at going direct sale but went back into shops as final outcome was better.

They wouldn't be getting much more. There's still printing costs and VAT to come out of that €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Charities are vat exempt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Only the charitable donation portion is exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Not necessarily. I did a lot of research on this and it included services on the charity e.g stamps and stationery. Advice from one of big 4 and revenue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I'm surprised how low that is.
    I wonder if the card distributor forks over €20k to down syndrome ireland for use of the logo, and that money pays the charity's executives' xmas bonuses.
    I know svp sell cards directly through their shops. I reckon more money ends up where it's meant to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

If you want to buy cards that will benefit those who need it buy from Peter McVerry. Its an excellent and genuine charity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

All charity’s are scam throw a homeless wino or junkie a fiver and he can do whatever. Give charity money and you are feeding pigs at the trough as has been shown time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Doltanian wrote: »
    All charity’s are scam throw a homeless wino or junkie a fiver and he can do whatever. Give charity money and you are feeding pigs at the trough as has been shown time and time again.

Wow ... now that’s a generalisation!

Autochange wrote: »
    If you want to buy cards that will benefit those who need it buy from Peter McVerry. Its an excellent and genuine charity.

It's ONE, there are many more out there in many fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

C3PO wrote:
    Wow ... now that’s a generalisation!

True but the more that comes out (and there's been a goid bit of scandal) the more cynical you become.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ansible

We recently bought a pack of Christmas cards in aid of Down Syndrome Ireland, assuming that a good portion of the sales goes to them, as this was the main reason for buying this particular, since a lot of cards look the same after all.

Thanks for supporting a very worthwhile charity.

In future you can buy Christmas cards in aid of Down Syndrome Ireland directly from their online shop - https://downsyndrome.ie/Shop-DSI/. I don't know the exact percentage but I believe they get far more from direct sales.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

We paid €8.95 but I see on the back of the box today, that the charity gets a minimum of 45c per pack. To me, this seems an extremely small amount, given that this charity (and many others) are having their names/logos splattered across the front of the box to promote the sales of these cards.

Call me a cynic, but how much of that 45c will trickle down (no pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It is something I was aware of - how little the charity ultimately gets. I buy directly from the charities that I support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I'd be interested to see how much of the 45c the charity gets how much of it actually goes to the intended recipient?
    You can call me cynical all you want but I don't trust any charity.

Advertisement