Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Had my 28 week appointment today (only 27w6d though) All went went, was just in midwives clinic and I’m in the clear for gestaional diabetes I am over the moon!! :D Baby seems to be in the right position too said she could feel the bum just under my ribs.

Only downside is I’ve to go back for an anti d injection Thursday they wouldn’t give today cos I’m one day off the 28 weeks but I can def live with that, on a kinda high now!

My brother bought me a lovely gift over the weekend a 3 in 1 napper/seat thing, think we’re gonna use this downstairs instead of a moses basket and use a co-sleeper upstairs!!

Hope you’re all doing well and had a lovely bank holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Hi everyone, been reading for a while but first post today. I'm due in late August too, first baby, doing well, only started to feel movement in the last 2 weeks, so its all beginning to get real :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

How's everyone getting on?  I'm heading into the 3rd trimester this week. Have mixed emotions about it...on the one hand, I'm excited that it's getting closer to our little one arriving, but on the other hand, the nerves are starting to hit me big time! All starting to feel very real now :O Out of interest, are there many of you doing it on your own (or with your partner?). We live over in the UK so it's just me and my OH. I don't think we'll have any family around to help out at the start and this is our first baby so think that's why the nerves are starting to hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

How's everyone getting on?  I'm heading into the 3rd trimester this week. Have mixed emotions about it...on the one hand, I'm excited that it's getting closer to our little one arriving, but on the other hand, the nerves are starting to hit me big time! All starting to feel very real now :O Out of interest, are there many of you doing it on your own (or with your partner?). We live over in the UK so it's just me and my OH. I don't think we'll have any family around to help out at the start and this is our first baby so think that's why the nerves are starting to hit

When number one arrived we had no help. My folks live an hour and a half away, missuses folks are near us but elderly, her sisters live in the UK and my siblings are scattered. It's tough as we were kind of flying by the seat of our pants but you'd be surprised how quickly you adapt.

Best advice I can gice you is on the first day your partner goes back to work (assuming they are taking some time off) is to get out for a walk yourself with baba. Mrs did that (I had been off for a month) and she said it was the best thing she could have done.

Join some parent and baby groups too.

30 weeks today! Smothered with a cold and my back is killing me BUT only 10 weeks to go!!! :O :D hope you’re all doing well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Al_E_kat, you must be feeling pretty excited now it is getting closer!

I think I'm going off work in 8 weeks time- 2 weeks after my probation ends! :o When is everyone starting their maternity? I can take few weeks off sick before my mat start so probably will do that due to the long drives.

I made a big mistake this morning deciding to weigh myself for the craic- it was the first time I weighed myself for long time, wasn't pleasant at all as it shows I'm back at my heaviest weight even though I don't feel like it at all cuz I'm still wearing size 12/14 tops and feel it is all the bump. But not so sure anymore now :( 2+ stones on at 26+6 weeks already and my consultant said I need to watch my weight at booking in appointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I made a big mistake this morning deciding to weigh myself for the craic- it was the first time I weighed myself for long time, wasn't pleasant at all as it shows I'm back at my heaviest weight even though I don't feel like it at all cuz I'm still wearing size 12/14 tops and feel it is all the bump. But not so sure anymore now :( 2+ stones on at 26+6 weeks already and my consultant said I need to watch my weight at booking in appointment!

I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain, I'm only up about a half stone at 24+4 but I'm gone from a size 6 and 32A to a size 10 and 36C/D already so I think we all just carry differently. As long as you're happy and healthy that's the most important thing.

Hey xDisneyDivax. I wouldn't worry at all if it is all in the bump. If you are still wearing your pre pregnancy size then you are fine. I'm 28 weeks and I've put up about 1.4 stone and am happy its all in the bump or boobs, same dress size but dramatically different bra size. I was overweight to start though so don't think my body needed to lay down as many stores as some people would....:rolleyes:

Al_E_kat, you must be feeling pretty excited now it is getting closer!

I think I'm going off work in 8 weeks time- 2 weeks after my probation ends! :o When is everyone starting their maternity? I can take few weeks off sick before my mat start so probably will do that due to the long drives.

31 weeks today so the countdown is now in single digits getting so excited!!

In other news a deck chair collapsed beneath me the other day so ended up in the rotunda a&e and had to get another anti d injection so Disney I really wouldn’t worry about weight gain :o:o on the upside we got a cheeky extra scan amd a trace and all looks well, baby in the right position too :D

A few weeks back people in work were telling me I was huge for a first baby and how far along I was now they’re telling me I look like I’ve gotten smaller....I think growth spurts just happen.....with me certainly!!

Weather is fab but my god its killing me constant tiredness and not being able to sleep. Off sick for this week cos I was supposed to be on night shifts and just couldn’t face them

al_E_kat wrote: »
    A few weeks back people in work were telling me I was huge for a first baby

:rolleyes: oh that's just lovely!!

My ankles are really swollen in the last few days, especially the right one. Wondering if it is just the heat. Keeping them elevated as much as possible in the evening and hoping it goes back to normal, or closer to normal anyway.

• Advertisement

Minier81 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: oh that's just lovely!!

My ankles are really swollen in the last few days, especially the right one. Wondering if it is just the heat. Keeping them elevated as much as possible in the evening and hoping it goes back to normal, or closer to normal anyway.

I Know right? I wouldn’t mind but it was all women who have been pregnant before.....I would never dream of saying that to somebodys whose pregnant, just as well I’m thick skinned :L

Oh no swollen ankles are such a pain, try and keep off your feet as much as possible!!

al_E_kat wrote: »
    31 weeks today so the countdown is now in single digits getting so excited!!

In other news a deck chair collapsed beneath me the other day so ended up in the rotunda a&e and had to get another anti d injection so Disney I really wouldn’t worry about weight gain :o:o on the upside we got a cheeky extra scan amd a trace and all looks well, baby in the right position too :D

A few weeks back people in work were telling me I was huge for a first baby and how far along I was now they’re telling me I look like I’ve gotten smaller....I think growth spurts just happen.....with me certainly!!

Gosh that must have been quite scary and sore! But at least you got a wee scan outta it! :D
    Damn those people, there is really no 'standard' pregnancy for anything from bumps to symptoms!

I had my 28 weeks appointment this week and planned to ask for a referral to midwife led unit only my consultant was off on holidays so I got someone else who hesitated but she said I can discuss it again at my next appointment so here is hoping! Due to my 'disability', I really like the idea of having a midwife I'm familiar with on big day!

Did anyone order their travel systems or have one already? I saw this light grey one I like the look of but I'm not sure how practical it could be either :confused:

Did anyone order their travel systems or have one already? I saw this light grey one I like the look of but I'm not sure how practical it could be either :confused:

No, haven't bought one yet but I think we know what we want. I took people a little too seriously when they said don't go panic buying loads of stuff too soon LOL
    I think practicality has to be the main thing, day to day will you be mainly a walker or mainly in and out of car boots for example.

No, haven't bought one yet but I think we know what we want. I took people a little too seriously when they said don't go panic buying loads of stuff too soon LOL
    I think practicality has to be the main thing, day to day will you be mainly a walker or mainly in and out of car boots for example.

The one I think we decided on wouldn't be delivered until between 1st and 15th August and my 'due date' is 29th August!lol so perhaps a bit too laid back here as well! I know the pram is practical for our use but I meant would it be a mistake for us to go with light grey as a colour rather than black? I'm kinda anti black but I'd be afraid grey would get more grubby than black lol.

The one I think we decided on wouldn't be delivered until between 1st and 15th August and my 'due date' is 29th August!lol so perhaps a bit too laid back here as well! I know the pram is practical for our use but I meant would it be a mistake for us to go with light grey as a colour rather than black? I'm kinda anti black but I'd be afraid grey would get more grubby than black lol.

Go for light grey!! It'll be fine in terms of wear and tear I think. I'm planning to go for light grey also. Black will show marks easier I think.
    Oh dear I am due the week before you so I REALLY need to order mine to have it in time!!!!
    It's good to be laid back :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Infababy?

Go for light grey!! It'll be fine in terms of wear and tear I think. I'm planning to go for light grey also. Black will show marks easier I think.
    Oh dear I am due the week before you so I REALLY need to order mine to have it in time!!!!
    It's good to be laid back :-)

Think you have me convinced! ;) didn't even take much either ha!

Yeah davo2001 it is infababy :) you looking at it too?

Yeah davo2001 it is infababy :) you looking at it too?

Yeah, ordered the Ultimo 3 weeks ago, should have it this week!

davo2001 wrote: »
    Yeah, ordered the Ultimo 3 weeks ago, should have it this week!

Oh brilliant! Which colour did you go for? I know someone with 3 wheels & other with 4 wheels, heard nothing but good about them! :)

Ordered the four wheel champagne one, figured with the isofox base for around €500 it was worth a try!

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    Ordered the four wheel champagne one, figured with the isofox base for around €500 it was worth a try!

Yeah you're right though because I heard nothing but good reports about it. I just couldn't justify spending around €800 on ones! My sister ordered grey one for us last week so I can't wait for it to come now! We will order the isofix base ourselves soon. Did you get yours yet?

We might get a new cot mattress this week as his sister is lending us the cot until we get our own place.

Did anyone start putting their hospital bag together yet? I started shopping for hospital bag few weeks ago and I think I have toiletries sorted now just need to get more dark pjs bottoms and maybe another nightie in case I get sick or something during labour.

I tried pilates last Monday and enjoyed it way more than yoga so will be going every week for while now. I had my check up with midwife yesterday & she said she think the baby is back to back and there is a small drop in my iron. I had reflexology shortly afterwards with another midwife and she said not to worry about the position yet but I got plenty tips for what exercises to do and to get back bouncing on the ball! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lilmissbee88

Counting down the days 😌

3 weeks 3 days til my due date, 37 weeks on Wednesday getting excited but also a bit nervous!!

That seems soooo soon now al_E_kat!! :D 7-9 weeks for me! Are you all set yet??

That seems soooo soon now al_E_kat!! :D 7-9 weeks for me! Are you all set yet??

I know I actually can’t believe it’s creeping in so soon! Prob seems so soon cos my date is the 1st of the month but could still be 5 weeks if I go over though, think I’m as set as I can be, bags are packed by the door anyway lol

How are you feeling Disney? How are you coping in the heat?

I add 2 extra weeks to allow for possibility of going past the due date too.

I'm good now it is a bit cooler, still very tired- think it is because of 2.5 hours commuting every day although I decided to take today off after not getting home until 2am last night after the family meal!

Have any of you started deep cleaning or nesting? I have 7-9 weeks left but have friends coming up for bank hol weekend so thinking perhaps start this week or next week only it might be too soon yet:confused:

Oh god fair play to you with the commuting, I finished up work a few weeks ago I couldn’t hack the long shifts (13 hour days) on my feet! I offically start my Mat leave on Monday though.

As far as nesting goes I have been doing deep cleans of things every so often but I’d be a bit like that anyway.....pick something new every few weeks to either sort out or tidy. I have however had my OH completely rearrange our living room furniture does that count?!

Speaking of mat leave I still haven’t gotten my approval on that from the dept despite sending in my paperwork weeks and weeks ago. Tried ringing them this week but the number wasn’t working so used their email enquiry form but have yet to get a response, anybody else similar or has anybody else heard back yet?

Edit to add: Rang them today, so I was approved only on Monday gone (the 9th) so they are really cutting it fine with applications if anybody is waiting over the next few weeks. He was surprised I didn’t get a letter yesterday though so emailed me one to forward to work.

I have just less than 6 weeks left til due day, so again 8 more likely!! Somewhere in between you guys. Delighted with the cool down in the last few days, swollen feet almost back to normal now thankfully.

Feeling most disorganised overall. But I did make an extra big chilli con carne at the weekend and froze a few portions so really proud of myself for that. House is a tip!!

I haven't heard from dept about mat leave yet. Applied ages ago. Raging I didn't apply online, ss i hear thdy approve them quicker, but work preferred the paper form. Will give a buzz in another week or so if I haven't heard, from hearing about your letter not arriving al_e.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

When should you generally be hearing back about maternity. Due the end of Aug, sent it weeks and weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I haven't heard from dept about mat leave yet. Applied ages ago. Raging I didn't apply online, ss i hear thdy approve them quicker, but work preferred the paper form. Will give a buzz in another week or so if I haven't heard, from hearing about your letter not arriving al_e.

Yeah I would have done it online but I don't have one of those PSC cards which I think you need. I’d def ring them though when you’re a bit closer, I don’t know if it’s just a particularily busy time but to only be approved a week before it commences seems mad to me and I had the forms in from 24 weeks. Still didn’t get a hard copy letter, doesn’t matter now cos I have the email but doesn’t look like I was going to get one.

Advertisement