Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike with an Integrated Seat Post

Options
  • 15-12-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Any views welcome re negatives or positives. I'm aware that extra care needs to be taken when cutting but there would appear to be about 2.5cm of adjustment on the seatmast. Frame in question is a Giant defy SL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

An ISP for me is an automatic no. At a minimum it has a massive impact on the s/h value of the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Diarmuid wrote: »
    An ISP for me is an automatic no. At a minimum it has a massive impact on the s/h value of the bike

How so.

I have one and I like it. I never have to wonder if my seatpost has slipped.

If I go to sell to someone slightly shorter than me it’s just a simple job to cut it down a bit.

If that person is taller a spacer or filler piece can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I have one.
    Only downside I've experienced is that it makes it more difficult to fit it certain size constrained spaces.
    For example, the frame won't fit into the boot of my car (saloon car) unless I take the saddle off. That said, with a standard seat post, the saddle would need lowered in any case, and refitting a saddle to a ISP is arguably handier than raising the seat on a regular frame and fussing about getting the correct height.
    All told, I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, but if the bike I wanted was ISP, I wouln't be put off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Diarmuid wrote: »

Though there is some truth in what you say (I'm sure it'd put certain people off) I have one on my track bike and I've to adjust it for two separate positions (group and pursuit) and it's an easy enough task tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭micase

Thanks for the replies,something to think on before I pull the trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have a Giant TCR ISP and love it! I’d have no hesitation in buying another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I had one on my previous bike , never had an issue with it , when i was advertising it for sale i was expecting it to be a nightmare to sell bit infact it was sold within a few hours of advertising .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buying a used bike with an ISP seems sensible, since you're less likely to sell it on and can drive a harder bargain on price.

I'd never buy one new as my weird body proportions and lack of flexibility drive me towards running a very short seat tube. I'd have to find someone even weirder to buy it off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bikes are for life. No selling on.

Also, I love my ISP frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Have a tcr with an isp no issues at all would have no hesitation buying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I had one. Only problem was travelling with it. Hard to get it in the bike bag! Had to take the cranks off to make it fit.

I've managed to get mine into this without removing the cranks or chaingrings.
    I'm 6'3" so the ISP is quite long. It is a squeeze though.

review-image-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    Bikes are for life. No selling on.
    At this rate you'll need to move the family into the shed and the bikes into the house.

Lumen wrote: »
    At this rate you'll need to move the family into the shed and the bikes into the house.

I've actually just bought another shed.

Advertisement