Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Window Transfer Tittle Tattle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football really has lost the run of itself, and it's getting gradually worse.

75 mill for this guy? What's he going to do for Liverpool to repay that and his astronomical wages?

I watched him live in the friendly v us in the Aviva. For a guy worth so much, he should really have stood out as a class act v Ireland, who haven't got the greatest forwards. All I remember from him was him hoofing the ball into touch a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

NIMAN wrote: »

I watched him live in the friendly v us in the Aviva. For a guy worth so much, he should really have stood out as a class act v Ireland, who haven't got the greatest forwards. All I remember from him was him hoofing the ball into touch a few times

Ah shít really? Why didn't you tell Liverpool's scouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are there any really top class ones available though.

There's not really. Imagine what a mcgrath, Adams, vidic, Terry in their prime would go for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A necessary buy for Liverpool whatever the cost they need to be there or there abouts every season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The question is really who is better in the league and ignoring if they would go to Spurs
    The two Belgians at Spurs, Azi at Chelsea, Koscielny (Although perhaps not anymore) and Otamendi
    I really dont see a problem with it, hes youngish so if they get 6 years out of him and he plays like last season its a great move by Liverpool
    Good to see them get it done quickly

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are there any really top class ones available though.

That are familiar to the league i dont see any
    They should go all out and get Lazios dutch guy and bam them have a cb pairing for next 4/5 years

Van Dijk 75million pounds...... They may be a feeder club but they are at least doing the pounding this time, not a hint if lube being used either lmfao

How much lube is needed for a lemon though?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Nice bit of business for Celtic with VVD, they will get £7m-£9m if the sale to Liverpool is true :)

Doubt the full amount is going to be paid upfront, so you'll probably get that money a few million at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/ed_aarons/status/946157205438566400

"Understand Everton have agreed £25m fee with Besiktas for Cenk Tosun. Striker expected to move when transfer window opens #efc"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anyone got any VVD stats?

Depending on which thread you read he is either Maldini or Bramble and I've not seen anything of him to have any kind of informed opinion, seems the general consensus is that Klopp wants him so he is a worldie or Klopp wants him so he's a bit shyte.

Anything more concrete than the one eyed versions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    How much lube is needed for a lemon though?!!

Why the lemons?

This is regularly bandied about by both sides of the divide and in most instances it's nonsensocial.

Not having a go at you in particular but why would United fans be bitter / salty / lemony at one of their rivals spending big on a player that their club were never in for.

Same could be said for United fans calling LFC fans bitter / salty / lemony over us signing Pogba or Lukaka for big fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can only remember off hand that when they were after him in the summer one of the talking heads was flagging up how poor Southampton were from set pieces and how he was on the field the majority of the time.

Not gonna go through them personally right now but I use whoscored at times to check players stats.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/95408/History/Virgil-van-Dijk

You can filter through the choices there to find the info your looking for I'd say

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Depending on which thread you read he is either Maldini or Bramble and I've not seen anything of him to have any kind of informed opinion, seems the general consensus is that Klopp wants him so he is a worldie or Klopp wants him so he's a bit shyte.

I hate both Liverpool and United, so here goes :D

He's very good at what he does. Truly excellent in the air, reads situations pretty well, physical specimen, yada yada. But then....so is Harry Maguire, to an extent. Now I'm not saying van Dijk is only as good as that, but what I am trying to say is it's very hard to judge how good he'll be for a better team. Centre halves in particular....it's easy to look good playing for teams that play a more defensive style, I'd use Burnley defenders as an example there. Albeit much more extreme than Southampton, of course. Will that translate to a much more possession-based team? I simply don't know, nobody here does. We'll see.

The fee is patently ridiculous, then again the whole market is. Liverpool fans will say "not my money" which is true, but any of those that then pass judgement on any other clubs transfer fees (yes we all know who we're talking about) is a flaming hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I hate both Liverpool and United, so here goes :D

He's very good at what he does. Truly excellent in the air, reads situations pretty well, physical specimen, yada yada. But then....so is Harry Maguire, to an extent. Now I'm not saying van Dijk is only as good as that, but what I am trying to say is it's very hard to judge how good he'll be for a better team. Centre halves in particular....it's easy to look good playing for teams that play a more defensive style, I'd use Burnley defenders as an example there. Albeit much more extreme than Southampton, of course. Will that translate to a much more possession-based team? I simply don't know, nobody here does.

I guess in that case his form for the national team might be a better way to judge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

I guess in that case his form for the national team might be a better way to judge?

Not really, they've been shockingly mismanaged.

Today is Spain's version of April Fools,take any transfer news out of there with a pinch of salt.

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/946439080480530433

Southampton looking at Theo Walcott as part of their rebuild following VVD transfer.

Liverpool to sign him in 2 seasons time so.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Southampton looking at Theo Walcott as part of their rebuild following VVD transfer.

What an absolute wasted career. A huge amount of talent but absolutely no character.

Wonder where Zaha will end up
    Hopefully Arsenal replacing Theo & Sanchez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Skylinehead,please leave this forum,far to sensible for most on here:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DeanAustin wrote: »
    What an absolute wasted career. A huge amount of talent but absolutely no character.

Really? I wonder how many professional players would swap their career for his. Almost 300 games in the top flight and 50 caps for England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

greendom wrote: »
    Really? I wonder how many professional players would swap their career for his. Almost 300 games in the top flight and 50 caps for England?

I think he means Walcott had the tools to do better than Arsenal but not the application.! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

very original joke:rolleyes:

MD1990 wrote: »
    very original joke:rolleyes:

Still funny ;)

He was touted as being as good as Bale. He was brought to the World Cup in 2006 as a 16 year old. 11 years later the best you can come up with is that he played 350 games. For his talent and potential, he’s been very very poor and the personification of all that’s been wrong with Arsenal over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He was touted as being as good as Bale. He was brought to the World Cup in 2006 as a 16 year old. 11 years later the best you can come up with is that he played 350 games. For his talent and potential, he’s been very very poor and the personification of all that’s been wrong with Arsenal over the last decade.

The main thing that has been wrong with Arsenal over the last decade was the inability to cope financially with Chelsea, United and latterly City. I suppose Walcott does sum that to a degree as he was the level of player the club could afford and not be talented enough to be wanted by a better club.

As far as he's concerned he's had a very respectable career

The main thing that has been wrong with Arsenal over the last decade was the inability to cope financially with Chelsea, United and latterly City. I suppose Walcott does sum that to a degree as he was the level of player the club could afford and not be talented enough to be wanted by a better club.

As far as he's concerned he's had a very respectable career

Not sure I’d go along with that at all. In the last 4-5 years, yeah but from 2006 to 2011, they’ve had a nice but spineless side. Wenger never replaced the Viera’s, Campbell’s, Petit’s and instead worked with nice players but lads you wouldn’t go to war with. When Chelsea were misfiring, United took advantage. No reason Arsenal couldn’t have done it even allowing for the stadium.

Walcott wasn’t just some other young player. He was touted as a future superstar and sought by many clubs. He failed to fulfill that potential and the fact that we’re talking about a potential return to Southampton at 27-28 says everything you need to know.

Not sure I’d go along with that at all. In the last 4-5 years, yeah but from 2006 to 2011, they’ve had a nice but spineless side. Wenger never replaced the Viera’s, Campbell’s, Petit’s and instead worked with nice players but lads you wouldn’t go to war with. When Chelsea were misfiring, United took advantage. No reason Arsenal couldn’t have done it even allowing for the stadium.

Walcott wasn’t just some other young player. He was touted as a future superstar and sought by many clubs. He failed to fulfill that potential and the fact that we’re talking about a potential return to Southampton at 27-28 says everything you need to know.

What young English lad hasnt been touted as a superstar though
    Only last year Dier was touted as being amazing
    Dele and Kane are the current ones
    Joe Cole, Pennant, Ox etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

irishman86 wrote: »

In fairness to Kane though, he is. 39 in a calendar year is going a level beyond tabloid hype. That is delivering on a huge scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Probably a bit unfair to Kane who's been consistently performing at a superstar level for some time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kane's done more in a week than Theo has done in his career.

A slight exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Walcott has two winners medals
    Kane has no winners medals

Kane has achieved nothing to date.

Yeah coz Dier and Pennant were touted as superstars. Behave.

None of those players went to a World Cup at 16.

Bale is the one I’d benchmark Walcott against. Bale has been streets ahead of him.

Garzorico wrote: »

Yeah but has Walcott scored more club and country goals in a calendar year since 1992?

Yeah but has Walcott scored more club and country goals in a calendar year since 1992?

Granted the calendar year stuff is barely worth a mention but you can’t just judge players on medals. Djimi Traore has a Champions League medal and Alan Shearer has none. Like Chadwick has a Premier League medal and Steven Gerrard has none. David Nugent has a Cup winners medal and Matt Le Tissier has none.

Kane’s goalscoring record in each of the last 3 seasons is better than anything Walcott managed in 12 seasons. He’s a far superior player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Garzorico wrote: »

Great point.

A bit like how Djimi Traore has more European pedigree than Patrick Vieira of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

While Theo will ultimately not be remembered as one of the all time greats of the game, some of the criticism here is unfair on him personally.
    He didn't hype himself up at 16,he didn't pick the England World Cup squad in 06,he wasn't to blame for him being touted as the next big thing. He always struck me as a talented lad that was probably exposed at the top level too soon and struggled to develop an an around game while being played in pressured situations at a very young age. Always seems to give a good effort, seems clean living enough and possibly a slight unfulfilled talent, but hardly worth some of the vitriol on here tbh.

• Advertisement

Granted the calendar year stuff is barely worth a mention but you can’t just judge players on medals. Djimi Traore has a Champions League medal and Alan Shearer has none. Like Chadwick has a Premier League medal and Steven Gerrard has none. David Nugent has a Cup winners medal and Matt Le Tissier has none.

Kane’s goalscoring record in each of the last 3 seasons is better than anything Walcott managed in 12 seasons. He’s a far superior player.

I agree with you.

Kane and Walcott have a similar goal count for current clubs.

Walcott has 2 FA cups. Kane has no trophies.

It's fair to say at this moment in time Walcott has achieved more for his club.

If Kane keeps going the way he is he should surpass this easily.It may mean hi leaving Spurs unless they can start picking up silverware asap.

Why they are being compared I'm not sure anyway!

Grueller wrote: »
    In fairness to Kane though, he is. 39 in a calendar year is going a level beyond tabloid hype. That is delivering on a huge scale.
    Probably a bit unfair to Kane who's been consistently performing at a superstar level for some time now.

I agree with that, just that English hype there players to the max, i think Dele is class aswell
    It was more to emphasise that they do it to every young lad that gets a few regular games

Yeah coz Dier and Pennant were touted as superstars. Behave.

None of those players went to a World Cup at 16.

Bale is the one I’d benchmark Walcott against. Bale has been streets ahead of him.

Uh you show you know very little buddy, Pennant was hyped as a superstar and have you forgotten the talk about Dier which was only 12 months ago

Unless Kane is a one club man he will win far more than Walcott as he will be lining out for Madrid or PSG or Bayern at some point.

Uh you show you know very little buddy, Pennant was hyped as a superstar and have you forgotten the talk about Dier which was only 12 months ago

Pennant really wasn’t. He was more on the Bentley scale. Had potential to be a very good player but nobody ever touted Pennant as the next big thing. The fact he spent most of his time at Arsenal out on loan having only played a handful of games for them shows you’re talking nonsense.

Dier has certainly never been touted as a world beater. He’s a mediocre centre half and a pretty good DM which is why Mourinho seems to want him. You’re just making stuff up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I agree with you.

If Kane keeps going the way he is he should surpass this easily.It may mean hi leaving Spurs unless they can start picking up silverware asap.

He's already surpassed Walcott in the individual stakes, 96 goals in the last 4 years against Theos 60 odd in the last 11 years. Your right, Kane will comfortably pass him put in silverware stakes but may need to leave Spurs to do it.

End of his first big season, i thought it was just a purple patch in his career but he keeps going and gets in great positions and crucially he is so clinical. He might be someone who stays were he is, for some reason I just don't see him going to Spain or Germany and Levy wouldn't sell him to a PL club unless it was astronomical money

• Advertisement

Dunkin Doughnuts

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/946730976205557760
    Cristiano Ronaldo asks that Real Madrid set his transfer fee at €100million, or less. #RMCF #MUFC #PSG #PORhttp://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-psg-11766828

at €100m, or less? That's no more than 100m then! :)

I agree with you.

Well Kane has 20 more goals than Walcott from less than half as many games and has been top scorer for two seasons running in the league.

Kane's being mentioned as a target for Real Madrid and Barcelona. Walcott, in what should be his peak years, is being targeted by Southampton. There's no comparison.

Dunkin Doughnuts

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/946730976205557760

at €100m, or less? That's no more than 100m then! :)

I wouldn't touch him for half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

33 year old Ronnie and 36 year old Zlatan leading the line for Jose's utd on a £1m a week wages between them?

Pennant really wasn’t. He was more on the Bentley scale. Had potential to be a very good player but nobody ever touted Pennant as the next big thing. The fact he spent most of his time at Arsenal out on loan having only played a handful of games for them shows you’re talking nonsense.

Dier has certainly never been touted as a world beater. He’s a mediocre centre half and a pretty good DM which is why Mourinho seems to want him. You’re just making stuff up now.

I dont know how to do facepalm on this, just know i did it
    Pennant broke the transfer record for his age by a good bit and was hyped up to the max, maybe you are to young to remember
    Dier after the euros was hyped as a world class dm, and its all bull**** news that Jose ever wanted him.
    I'm guessing you got that from your fave tabloid :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement