Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Window Transfer Tittle Tattle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pep to critics;

dickbyrne.gif

he'll be gone in a few years anyway so relax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you not remember United spent 2.5 billion on Sanchez last week and he's being paid 10 million a week in wages with a 2 million appearance fee per 90 minutes played.

Oi, that's our joke!!
    Lukker- wrote: »
    With very achievable add-ons, Dembele and Coutinho will be close to a £300m. I'm not trying to validate Pep's point, it's apple's and oranges, but he's still missing the point. They wouldn't have been able to spend that money if they didn't sell Neymar for €222m. So far City haven't raised anything close to those funds from player sales or other legitimate means.

All true, but even more apples and oranges for me is comparing spending on attackers and defenders. Attackers just cost more. The only defender in the top 10 transfers is VanDyke and that was fairly bonkers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Aguero badly stubs his toe in tomorrow nights game will City buy a replacement for the 10 minutes he misses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ignore Pep.

He's phenomenal, but he needs his chequebook. Like every top manager nowadays.

Every manager should stop defending their spending by pointing at other clubs. I'd have far more respect if they just said - "yeah, I've a fúckload to spend, so I did, because I want to win."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mahrez now hands in a transfer request.

Dunno why Pep wants him unless he has decided Bernardo is not good enough. Zinchenko must be awful aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ignore Pep.

He's phenomenal, but he needs his chequebook. Like every top manager nowadays.

Every manager should stop defending their spending by pointing at other clubs. I'd have far more respect if they just said - "yeah, I've a fúckload to spend, so I did, because I want to win."

In fairness a lot of the defending is itself on the back of criticism for spending a lot of money. It works in roundabouts. It's hard to fully get over other clubs fans criticising him because he may have spent a lot or more money when a lot of these players are actually performing to high levels in relation to the investment. Other clubs, including City in the past, have blown money on players that have played shocking under other managers, and acheived very little at the top end.

And now City bid 50m for Mahrez :pac:

Talk about knee jerk. He'll have a solid 6 week career at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If Mahrez goes to City that is properly mental. Pep is nuts. Sané is out for 6 weeks, not the rest of the season.

#chequebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Let's be honest,every teams fans would love for their club to be able to do it.

And not go bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon City are buying building for next year.

The league is done this year barring an almighty collapse.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon City are buying building for next year.

The league is done this year barring an almighty collapse.

But what does Mahrez offer them really? He is older than Sterling/Sane/Bernardo. I'd be very suprised if Bernardo was offloaded in the summer. He'd be 4th choice at best and hard to move on again.

pjohnson wrote: »
    But what does Mahrez offer them really? He is older than Sterling/Sane/Bernardo. I'd be very suprised if Bernardo was offloaded in the summer. He'd be 4th choice at best and hard to move on again.

It's an odd move for Mahrez too

Is he happy to sit on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Even weirder is that people are saying that Leicester will reject even a 60m pound bid.. others are saying they want 90m

https://twitter.com/jpercytelegraph/status/958357542794645504

astradave wrote: »
    Even weirder is that people are saying that Leicester will reject even a 60m pound bid.. others are saying they want 90m

https://twitter.com/jpercytelegraph/status/958357542794645504

Jaysus. If Pep actually goes that far he really cant whinge about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gives them more depth to battle on three fronts, those being the EPL, ECL and FA Cup.

Pep wants to win everything he can.

I didn't include the league cup because they are already in the final of that.

Sky now saying a 50million pound bid has been made

#ProperCoach
    #DeveloperOfMen

I dont think Leicester will sell him now, theyve no time to replace him really.

Mahrez has been threatening to move on for some time now, I'm surprised it took this long to materialise that a bigger club would take a punt on him.

City can only register 1 extra player for the CL too so would they register Laporte or Mahrez, assuming they sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Mahrez has been threatening to move on for some time now, I'm surprised it took this long to materialise that a bigger club would take a punt on him.

City can only register 1 extra player for the CL too so would they register Laporte or Mahrez, assuming they sign him.

I think they've already replaced him, brought in a winger at the start of the window which I believe was touted as a Mahrez replacement.

They get a stupid offer they'll sell him for sure. He's shown before he's well able to lay down tools if he's not happy so what's to stop him doing that again and forcing the move for less in the summer. If they get £60m+ for him then he's gone. What's their ambition this season? They've already got 34 points so are safe enough and 12 points from the relegation places. Europa League is the only thing to play for other than just a top half finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

This is all Pogba's fault for hoping for injuries to City's players. Look what you've done!

In all seriousness it's pretty mental if Pep pays 50m for Mahrez. Getting a winger makes sense but someone like Mahrez who's one of the top wingers in the league when he gives a damn and for that money it's odd.

He must really be gunning for the quadruple. It's hard to see where Mahrez stands after the season ends considering City will probably add a player like Dybala or Griezmann and maybe another striker if Aguero leaves. Jesus, Sterling and Sane are not going to be sold.

It's even more puzzling when you think that Pep might go back to 3 at the back next season now that he has another ball playing CB and Mendy will back to play left wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sky now saying a 50million pound bid has been made

Apparently he has also handed in a transfer request on the back of the offer Mirror are saying.

Didn't we have all the bull-****e from City saying they couldn't afford Sanchez.
    Then he's looking to spunk money in excess of 50 million on Mahrez who's isn't near his level.
    Comedy gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Leicester should try & get 80m for Mahrez.

Would be brillant business. Diakite looks a very good signing.

Didn't we have all the bull-****e from City saying they couldn't afford Sanchez.
    Then he's looking to spunk money in excess of 50 million on Mahrez who's isn't near his level.
    Comedy gold

Thought it was because of his wages and not willing to give him more than De Bruyne/Aguero/Sterling? Open to be corrected on that...

Should give Demarai Gray more starts too. he tends to play the opposite wing from Mahrez doesn't he?

Urindanger wrote: »
    Thought it was because of his wages and not willing to give him more than De Bruyne/Aguero/Sterling? Open to be corrected on that...

Or saving face and coming out with a nonsense excuse that they couldn't afford him before spunking another 150 odd million on back ups.

Jayop wrote: »
    Should give Demarai Gray more starts too. he tends to play the opposite wing from Mahrez doesn't he?

Gray doesnt start really. Albrighton and Mahrez start wide normally with Gray off the bench for them or Okazaki. He has also replaced Okazaki in the starting lineup the odd time aswell.

Gray doesnt start really. Albrighton and Mahrez start wide normally with Gray off the bench for them or Okazaki. He has also replaced Okazaki in the starting lineup the odd time aswell.

That's what I mean, Mahrez moving should give Grey more chances. He's got serious potential.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Or saving face and coming out with a nonsense excuse that they couldn't afford him before spunking another 150 odd million on back ups.

Well transfer fees and wages are different things so them buying more players isn't that relevant. I doubt anyone on that City team (besides Mangala and Kompany) will be upset about the club breaking their record for Laporte but if he hops in mid season is now their top earner in wages it's bound to ruffle a lot of feathers. City appear to have a very tight team unit and that's obviously considered of more value than paying Sanchez his wage demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I doubt Mahrez will be on upwards of 350k + get a massive sign on fee, or agent fee. I also don't think they'll pay what Leicester want.

Simply taking the transfer fee into account is disingenuous. Certainly not defending City in their spending, but Sane also wasn't injured when Sanchez joined United.

I don't really see where the disagreement stems from myself, do United fans accept that United probably made a better financial offer than City? Or do they think Sanchez chose them for footballing reasons/life long love for United/wants to work with Jose...?

If Mahrez signed for City, I'm willing to bet he'd be on half of what Sanchez is on.

I doubt Mahrez will be on upwards of 350k + get a massive sign on fee, or agent fee. I also don't think they'll pay what Leicester want.

Simply taking the transfer fee into account is disingenuous. Certainly not defending City in their spending, but Sane also wasn't injured when Sanchez joined United.

I don't really see where the disagreement stems from myself, do United fans accept that United probably made a better financial offer than City? Or do they think Sanchez chose them for footballing reasons/life long love for United/wants to work with Jose...?

I actually don't mean to re-ignite this debate tbh. So ignore anything I say :pac:

So City get linked with Mahrez and it becomes a Sanchez discussion. Is Sanchez just gunna be the new "yeah but what about" player? It used to be Pogba. But I guess now whenever any other club signs anyone it'll be witty Sanchez remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Mahrez at his best is better than Sterling, Sane and Silva imo.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Mahrez at his best is better than Sterling, Sane and Silva imo.

Hes also older.

Sane, IMO has a seriously high ceiling of potential, more so than Mahrez.

So City get linked with Mahrez and it becomes a Sanchez discussion. Is Sanchez just gunna be the new "yeah but what about" player? It used to be Pogba. But I guess now whenever any other club signs anyone it'll be witty Sanchez remarks.

Well it was a United supporter who mentioned Sanchez...
    Comedy gold

I agree it's tiresome, but who brought it up?

I think thats probably VVD for his transfer fees.

Sanchez maybe so for his wages but Utd got him for a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hes also older.

Sane, IMO has a seriously high ceiling of potential, more so than Mahrez.

Yeah they're all quality but I can't see the other 3 ever winning player of the year like Mahrez did. He was trually phenomenal that year. Hasn't reached those heights since more due to attitude but Pep can take him back to that level imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If Mahrez goes to City that is properly mental. Pep is nuts. Sané is out for 6 weeks, not the rest of the season.

#chequebook.

I just wish the board at City would back Pep, winning the league on a shoestring.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

#chequebook.

Well didn't City want Sanchez before Sane was injured, with their interest seemingly increasing when Jesus got injured and an additional attacker seemed common sense. What's so different about them wanting Mahrez now?

Urindanger wrote: »
    Well didn't City want Sanchez before Sane was injured, with their interest seemingly increasing when Jesus got injured and an additional attacker seemed common sense. What's so different about them wanting Mahrez now?

Probably the fact that they just broke their own transfer record a few hours ago. Spending money like it's going out of fashion.

Watford have signed another winger. FFS they are gunna have to drop players outta thier 25 man PL squad again. Their massive squad is very annoying for FF purposes.

Watford have signed another winger. FFS they are gunna have to drop players outta thier 25 man PL squad again. Their massive squad is very annoying for FF purposes.

Ha, your doing something wrong having them in your squad in the first place :D

Ha, your doing something wrong having them in your squad in the first place :D

They are dog cheap budget options to fester away as 3rd sub :D

Naturally its those bargain budget féckers that are facing the chop :pac:

I wish Chelsea had Citys ambition and clout to back the manager for his first choice targets.

What a time to be alive that would be. :o

I wish Chelsea had Citys ambition and clout to back the manager for his first choice targets.

What a time to be alive that would be. :o

Was your first this window not Carroll? Giroud is a solid step up tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Jack Harrison transfer looks a bit dodgy, Mix Diskerud moved to City as well at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He was player of the year season before last. He has never played at a big club and has looked pretty exceptional for most of his time there. He is a few years younger than Sanchez and could be every bit as good as him in a good team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement