Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Window Transfer Tittle Tattle.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

theballz wrote: »
    Who said anything about evil thugs mate? Go back to sleep

I believe you were the one who brought the word thuggery into the thread.
    He’s exactly what city need with Sane being out and considering the thuggery they are being put through it’s only a matter of time before Silva and/or De Bruyne get creased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pep does rely heavily on wingers to stretch the play. With Sane out they definitely lacking that. So mahrez does kind of make sense. Kinddd of.
    B Silva plays more as a false winger. Which for city's style of play may make it harder to stretch the play against some teams. Also if Raz gets injured city are kind of screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pep does rely heavily on wingers to stretch the play. With Sane out they definitely lacking that. So mahrez does kind of make sense. Kinddd of.
    B Silva plays more as a false winger. Which for city's style of play may make it harder to stretch the play against some teams. Also if Raz gets injured city are kind of screwed.
    The full backs granted Walker moreso than Delph provide good width aswell tbh. They dominate possession so much the full backs have plenty of time to push up the flanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ok then lets see how smart this post ACTUALLY is then.

You attempt to post some "witty" thanks fishing claim Sanchez was only wanted because Jesus was injured. Strange as you also claim that he wanted a versatile attacker in the summer which would predate Jesus injury.

While it is obvious Pep did want another attacker is Mahrez really a versatile attacker? He has generally played on the one side and occassionally behind Vardy so thats 2 positions, whereas Sanchez covers all 4 attacking positions yet you seem to think they are like for like for some reason.

Seems strange that if Pep was so desperate to strengthen he has waited until around 36 hours left in the window to bid for this "versatile" attacker. Its not like Sanchez only joined United today. Pep had plenty of time to find another. Sane got injured by "thuggery" (the poor dote). And a few days later Pep decides to break the club record on Mahrez?

Not sure if you're dim or you just misread....you said Mahrez is needed for 6 weeks. Which is nonsense. Just like thinking Sanchez would be needed until Jesus comes back is nonsense. But if you think Mahrez is needed for 6 weeks then you'd have to say Sanchez was only needed for a few weeks as well. You can't have your cake and eat it. Seems that flew over your head but I digress.

He's incredibly versatile. He can play across all positions behind a striker. Has an eye for goal as well as racking up assists for fun. His dribbling is obviously a stand out but he's a very creative player and he's well able to come deep for possession. He also isn't afraid to put in the graft and press and track back when he's arsed to play for the team. He doesn't really have any notable weaknesses aside from motivation.

There were reports (think it was Sky but up for correction) that this is the second enquiry made for Mahrez and that the first was made early in the month. Now reports are reports but there's no reason why City wouldn't be monitoring players like Mahrez. Injuries naturally enough intensify an interest in a player just like the wheels on the Sanchez deal got going when Jesus got injured. What's interesting is that City were almost being admired for looking to add Sanchez to the team to bolster the team, especially for Champions League. Yet when they are seemingly trying to do the same thing with Mahrez it's a crime. There's a lack of consistency there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Urindanger wrote: »
    Not sure if you're dim

Mod:
    Less of these remarks pls. Keep it impersonal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Money Spent on Defence:

Man City = £281m

Latvia = £280m

Bosnia = £250m

Armenia = £225m

Paraguay = £145m

Ghana = £120m

Placing them 94th in the world for Defence Budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Urindanger wrote: »
    Not sure if you're dim or you just misread....you said Mahrez is needed for 6 weeks. Which is nonsense. Just like thinking Sanchez would be needed until Jesus comes back is nonsense. But if you think Mahrez is needed for 6 weeks then you'd have to say Sanchez was only needed for a few weeks as well. You can't have your cake and eat it. Seems that flew over your head but I digress.

He's incredibly versatile. He can play across all positions behind a striker. Has an eye for goal as well as racking up assists for fun. His dribbling is obviously a stand out but he's a very creative player and he's well able to come deep for possession. He also isn't afraid to put in the graft and press and track back when he's arsed to play for the team. He doesn't really have any notable weaknesses aside from motivation.

There were reports (think it was Sky but up for correction) that this is the second enquiry made for Mahrez and that the first was made early in the month. Now reports are reports but there's no reason why City wouldn't be monitoring players like Mahrez. Injuries naturally enough intensify an interest in a player just like the wheels on the Sanchez deal got going when Jesus got injured. What's interesting is that City were almost being admired for looking to add Sanchez to the team to bolster the team, especially for Champions League. Yet when they are seemingly trying to do the same thing with Mahrez it's a crime. There's a lack of consistency there.

It's laughable how not giving any youth a chance is brushed under the carpet just because the player who is linked is just good enough and not even upgrade on what City have,

When City were about to appoint Pep, everyone was like how he will make City's academy as next La Masia and how many players will be promoted, as it is they are the worst in top 6 when it comes to playing academy players.

However you want to dress it up, linked with Mahrez on deadline day when Sane was injured means the obvious conclusion. He is signed as Sane is out for 6-7 weeks.

People giving excuses like how B.Silva is a proper winger is even laughable considering he played every single game was Right winger for Monaco. It's like people are ready to give any excuses for Pep spending big.

Btw I don't have issues with Pep spending big money, i really don't care. I just have issues with hypocrites who thinks Pep as some promoter of youth, some god given gift to football who relies on Academy when he is the biggest checkbook manager out there.

He’s not a winger in Peps system, Delph wasn’t a LB until recently too. Foden can play on the wing, he’s quick but he’s not experienced enough.

It’s crunch time now, Mahrez has experience winning the PL, 18 months ago he was POTY. People are totally over looking him, it’s hilarious. Mahrez has performed better than Sanchez in a bad team and has the age on his side. Less wages than Sanchez, considerably younger and a better fit in my eyes

Only time Mahrez performed better than Sanchez is when Leicester won the league, apart from that not a single season in his career.

Oh Bernanrdo Silva isn't a winger in Pep's system and Foden is young. Wow, anymore excuses? Mahrez is just like Bernardo Silva but more direct. Both prefer to play as Right winger (left footed) and can play behind the striker.

If Bernardo Silva isn't winger in Pep's system then Mahrez isn't one too.

SlickRic wrote: »
    If Mahrez goes to City that is properly mental. Pep is nuts. Sané is out for 6 weeks, not the rest of the season.

#chequebook.

Not sure what are you talking about, Mahrez is from City development squad playing for Leicester City on loan, now that they have senior player injured they are recalling him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Chelsea sign Emerson from Roma.

Reports its 18m and nearly 5m in add ons.

Conte pretty much said he has never even seen the lad play... Something's seriously wrong at Chelsea with all these board signings :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Only time Mahrez performed better than Sanchez is when Leicester won the league, apart from that not a single season in his career.

Oh Bernanrdo Silva isn't a winger in Pep's system and Foden is young. Wow, anymore excuses? Mahrez is just like Bernardo Silva but more direct. Both prefer to play as Right winger (left footed) and can play behind the striker.

If Bernardo Silva isn't winger in Pep's system then Mahrez isn't one too.

Started typing then looked at your user name.. says it all, clueless loooooool

Started typing then looked at your user name.. says it all, clueless loooooool

Yeah that's your level. Keep on spouting even more rubbish.

also the guy with ballz as unsername is having go at other user names, lol.

Your username is worse than my username.

Sweet ****ing jaysus

40% of this thread still don’t get it (majority United fans.)

It's simple.

City do not have backup wingers
    Bernado is not a winger
    Diaz is 18 and not a winger
    Foden is 17 and not a winger
    We have TWO senior players for our attacking THREE positions
    Mahrez is the best available winger in the Premier League
    Some similar level wingers are older and/or unavailable
    Other similar wingers are younger and/or inexperienced
    Mahrez has won the Premier League with Leicester and got the POTY (Something Sanchez failed to do)

We are in 4 competitions. That is potentially 27 matches.
    People want to play for 6 weeks with ONE winger, clueless.

Bernardo Silva is not a winger but we need Mahrez as winger, yeah ****ing clueless this balls guy.

Redcafe made from some fantastic viewing lastnight, it's funny how United fans bemoan city spending money, it is beyond hilarious considering their spend. The only difference is they're crap and awful to watch. It's going to be hilarious if we get Mahrez

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Bernardo Silva is not a winger but we need Mahrez as winger, yeah ****ing clueless this balls guy.

I know it's difficult watching park the bus football week in week out but unlike Maureen sides, we have tactics. We need a winger who will stick to the side of the pitch, Bernando Silva is made that way.

"Giggsy" I know it might be difficult for you to understand...

I know it's difficult watching park the bus football week in week out but unlike Maureen sides, we have tactics. We need a winger who will stick to the side of the pitch, Bernando Silva is made that way.

Oh dear :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

pjohnson wrote: »
    Out of contract in June aswell

No he is not. Signed a 1 year extension earlier this month.

• Advertisement

Redcafe made from some fantastic viewing lastnight, it's funny how United fans bemoan city spending money, it is beyond hilarious considering their spend. The only difference is they're crap and awful to watch. It's going to be hilarious if we get Mahrez

I do sense some jealously, city are the top dogs these days.

What club wouldn't want to be cruising in first place playing lovely football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Are you a grown up adult? Maureen. I'm cringing on your behalf.

City fans have become such own-fart sniffers under Pep.

Ah so this is how this thread will be today. Mahrez excuses, right that'll be fun to read.

Anyway Everton are supposedly ahead of Newcastle now to get Mangala on loan.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I do sense some jealously, city are the top dogs these days.

What club wouldn't want to be cruising in first place playing lovely football.

It is City who are these United fans’ kryptonite, be it De Bruyne versus Pogba or Pep Guardiola versus Mourinho. Their problem is that both those City representatives are doing better this season than them. Mourinho won two trophies last season, and Guardiola won nothing, but the League Cup and Europa League were not the type of silverware that United snaffled under Ferguson, and sixth place would have been unthinkable.

This season, United are much better, but there again, Mourinho’s team is nowhere near as good as Peps, and United is a club where second used to be nowhere.

It used to be that City fans were lampooned for viewing everything through the prism of United, but now the reverse is true among United fans. Mourinho feeds into that mindset, painting United’s squad as a wreck compared to the riches Guardiola inherited and spends, harnessing the fury of supporters to feed into his siege mentality.

At the end of the day you are right, it is jealousy.

Asks am I an adult then says “own-fart sniffer,”
    Christ......

Best to ignore him. Doubt he'll last long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Turtwig wrote: »

I’d consider Mahrez in the same mold tbf, he isn’t a conventional winger that will stretch play and stay wide like Sane. He likes to cut inside on his left foot..

astradave wrote: »
    I’d consider Mahrez in the same mold tbf, he isn’t a conventional winger that will stretch play and stay wide like Sane. He likes to cut inside on his left foot..

That was before yesterday tbf. He has changed now.

Coutinho 25, Mahrez 26, they are belong in the same bracket of intelligent players, but I think Mahrez's all-round creativity is better. So, any price below Coutinho's is a very good deal imo.

In fairness he is basically a prem proven Bernardo Silva, probably an upgrade there and will be a quality back up.. what’s Pep going to do with Silva in the Summer is my thoughts, he hasn’t really fit in well into the System. I know he is young an all but can see him moving on

:pac:

• Advertisement

Coutinho 25, Mahrez 26, they are belong in the same bracket of intelligent players, but I think Mahrez's all-round creativity is better. So, any price below Coutinho's is a very good deal imo.

I dont know how much of Coutinho you have seen in that case.

In fairness he is basically a prem proven Bernardo Silva, probably an upgrade there and will be a quality back up.. what’s Pep going to do with Silva in the Summer is my thoughts, he hasn’t really fit in well into the System. I know he is young an all but can see him moving on

After watching him much closer this season, I don't see him as a winger and I certainly don't see him as Silvas replacement in the middle; they just play completely different styles. I have absolutely no idea which position he will end up in but he is so special. His performance in the first half the weekend was sublime

I don’t think Pep will sell him, like with Sterling he needs a season or two to adapt

If Mahrez signed in 2 years time you are potentially looking at a midfiled and frontline of (ages.then in brackets)

Fred (26)
    Bernardo (25) KDB (28)
    Mahrez (28) Jesus (22)/Sterling (25) Sane (24)

with Foden and diaz as back up for the centre attack and still under 20, plus ferdy, Sivla and any incoming players added.

That is a team set to challenge for every trophy every year for the next 5 years+.

Only an idiot set of fans would see this as a strange decission like some united fans are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

If Mahrez signed in 2 years time you are potentially looking at a midfiled and frontline of (ages.then in brackets)

Fred (26)
    Bernardo (25) KDB (28)
    Mahrez (28) Jesus (22)/Sterling (25) Sane (24)

with Foden and diaz as back up for the centre attack and still under 20, plus ferdy, Sivla and any incoming players added.

That is a team set to challenge for every trophy every year for the next 5 years+.

Only an idiot set of fans would see this as a strange decission like some united fans are

Any chance you could stop with this bull****? People are pointing out legitimate issues particularly how Mahrez is not a winger in the ilk of Sane or plays his style. Mahrez played his best stuff cutting in, not hugging the touchline.

Also you've gone from saying 70 million was a good deal but don't pay more. To the say anything less than Coutinho is a good deal as you believe Mahrez is a better player. You then state that Mahrez wouldn't get in the team ahead of Sane or Sterling.

Some actual Transfer news:

It's looking like Mangala will move to Everton on loan deal from City

And apparently Daley Blind of Utd could move to Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    No he is not. Signed a 1 year extension earlier this month.

He had an option for another year, did utd lift that option?
    Read nothing about that in the Dutch press who would undoubtedly report on it.
    They did with Mata

inforfun wrote: »
    They did with Mata

Not sure. It was rumoured they were GOING to trigger it. It was never up on Utd's website if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

They did with Mata

Telgraph and some other outlets reported earlier this month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/04/manchester-united-extend-contracts-four-players-12-months/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Roma's interest is in the Dutch press but they also say Mourinho says No.

And according to Bild, Ozil will sign a new contract at Arsenal.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Any chance you could stop with this bull****? People are pointing out legitimate issues particularly how Mahrez is not a winger in the ilk of Sane or plays his style. Mahrez played his best stuff cutting in, not hugging the touchline.

Also you've gone from saying 70 million was a good deal but don't pay more. To the say anything less than Coutinho is a good deal as you believe Mahrez is a better player. You then state that Mahrez wouldn't get in the team ahead of Sane or Sterling.

Duffman clearly a little hungover this morning :rolleyes:
    I also said that we are still in four competitions (27 games +) that we could still win and we cannot rely on just two wingers - Sane and Sterling.

Sorry if I upset you mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Duffman clearly a little hungover this morning :rolleyes:
    I also said that we are still in four competitions (27 games +) that we could still win and we cannot rely on just two wingers - Sane and Sterling.

Sorry if I upset you mate.

An online board won't upset me so have no fear on that front. I'm merely pointing out you don't need to insult people in order to get your point across if you actually have one to make.

Your initial post was about people writing off Mahrez but no one has done that. Your follow up post was about value which I dont recall people questioning. People were questioning the need for him both in the interim and long term. People made the comparison that he is not an out and out winger and tends to cut inside.

All of them are valid points for discussion whether you like it or not. That's what happens on forums, people discuss the pros and cons of deals. Boards is more interesting than redcafe or blue moon cause you don't get group think and tend to get some interesting perspectives from opposing fans. Some are on the wind up but most are genuine football fans. You seem to be lumping everyone in to the latter which is ridiculous and counter productive to genuine discussion

They did with Mata

James Ducked reported that 3 players option for a year was triggered. It wasn't reported by ManUtd but it was sort of thought it's official.

It was kind of went under the radar though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Suppose given all the happy clappy new found friendship that United and Liverpool fans showed yesterday someone else would have to step up and make sure childish arguments were happening just so things wouldn't feel strange.

Ballerz I salute you for your dedication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Foden just won player of the tournament at the recent underage World Cup yeah?

https://twitter.com/Hisroyaldopenez/status/958485246143614976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/958626689847832577

"Batshuayi loan from @ChelseaFC to @BVB is happening. Jigsaw almost complete."

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/958628606242148352

"Sky Sports reporting "difficulties" in Arsenal - Chelsea negotiations for Olivier Giroud "

Arsenal gonna **** Chelsea over.. :D

Wait till Bats to Dortmund confirmed, complete Auba transfer and then pull out of the Giroud deal at last min :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Wait till Bats to Dortmund confirmed, complete Auba transfer and then pull out of the Giroud deal at last min :pac:

I actually suspect the Aubamayang deal the most likely one to not go through.

Knowing Arsenal they'll flog Giroud before the Auba deal is confirmed & end up with Giroud gone & no replacement.... that would be so Arsenal its scary.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Aubamayang is nuts going to Arsenal. A club in decline.

DvB wrote: »
    I actually suspect the Aubamayang deal the most likely one to not go through.

Knowing Arsenal they'll flog Giroud before the Auba deal is confirmed & end up with Giroud gone & no replacement.... that would be so Arsenal its scary.

Wenger obviously got a thrill from the Sanchez <> Mkhitaryan deal so he wanted to go to the next level and have a threeways swap deal. Who says he doesn't do new things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There is the hint of a Mexican stand off over it and at the moment alright. :pac:

I think it will go through but only if Chelsea get Giroud first, Marina G has played hard ball over a few million in this deal too so its not mad to think this could all go tits up for everyone this afternoon.

Its in Arsenals interest to get that done quickly as the German window closes at 5pm, if Giroud isnt sold before than, Michy doesnt go to Dortmund, meaning no Aubameyang for Arsenal.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Michy, as it stops Aubameyang going to Arsenal. :o

Advertisement