Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Window Transfer Tittle Tattle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Well Kane has 20 more goals than Walcott from less than half as many games and has been top scorer for two seasons running in the league.

Kane's being mentioned as a target for Real Madrid and Barcelona. Walcott, in what should be his peak years, is being targeted by Southampton. There's no comparison.

When Walcott first started with Arsenal the oft repeated phrase on MOTD and the like was 'he has no footballing brain'. He's had a brilliant career considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

You're talking about a player that is regarded as one of the top 5 players in the world today versus a player who has probably never been considered even in the top 100.

There's no comparison.

Kane could get a career ending injury tomorrow and we would still be talking about his achievements decades from now.

Agree that Walcott is getting some unwarranted stick though, he's had a decent career and ultimately was a pretty good signing for Arsenal.

Well Kane has 20 more goals than Walcott from less than half as many games and has been top scorer for two seasons running in the league.

Kane's being mentioned as a target for Real Madrid and Barcelona. Walcott, in what should be his peak years, is being targeted by Southampton. There's no comparison.

If their careers both ended right now Walcott has achieved more. That's all I'm saying.

Kane will definitely score a ton more goals, and when he moves from Spurs he should pass his trophy tally too.

As I said, it's probably silly comparing Kane and Walcott. I wouldn't even class Walcott as a striker.

Shearer is a better comparison

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Morzadec wrote: »
    You're talking about a player that is regarded as one of the top 5 players in the world today versus a player who has probably never been considered even in the top 100.

There's no comparison.

Kane could get a career ending injury tomorrow and we would still be talking about his achievements decades from now.

Agree that Walcott is getting some unwarranted stick though, he's had a decent career and ultimately was a pretty good signing for Arsenal.

Is he honestly considered top five?
    Your point is right about Theo though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldo even at 100m at 33 would probably not be that much of a risk despite being past his best.

Would still score 20 in all competitions & would probably hughly increase any club's revenue just through his name alone.

There's no comparison.

We would? :confused:

Not downplaying his goalscoring at all btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

irishman86 wrote: »
    I dont know how to do facepalm on this, just know i did it
    Pennant broke the transfer record for his age by a good bit and was hyped up to the max, maybe you are to young to remember
    Dier after the euros was hyped as a world class dm, and its all bull**** news that Jose ever wanted him.
    I'm guessing you got that from your fave tabloid :rolleyes:

My goodness. Pennant did go for a big fee at 15, granted. He played 12 games in 6 years for Arsenal, spent most of his time out on loan and never even got a cap for England. In an era where Francis Jeffers, Michael Ricketts, Richard Wright and Anthony Gardner got caps for England, you think that Jermaine Pennant, who couldn't get a single cap, was being hyped as the next big superstar? Would you stop.

As for Dier, how are you so sure Jose didn't want him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Walcott wasn’t brought to the World Cup on merit though or by reputation. Very few had heard of him and there was a huge furor when he was included.

I always thought that he was a limited player. Pace to burn and an excellent finisher at times but that’s about it.

Kane is the real deal. Has been incredible the last two to three seasons. Even taking away his goals he still looks a class player.

My goodness. Pennant did go for a big fee at 15, granted. He played 12 games in 6 years for Arsenal, spent most of his time out on loan and never even got a cap for England. In an era where Francis Jeffers, Michael Ricketts, Richard Wright and Anthony Gardner got caps for England, you think that Jermaine Pennant, who couldn't get a single cap, was being hyped as the next big superstar? Would you stop.

As for Dier, how are you so sure Jose didn't want him?

So your ignoring Pennant hype at 15 got ya
    You prove my point about English players getting hyped with your Jeffers point, thanks for that
    Because the English press have for years made the same transfer rumours. "English player has a couple of good games, linked to United" if you believe that drivel well..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

adox wrote: »
    Walcott wasn’t brought to the World Cup on merit though or by reputation. Very few had heard of him and there was a huge furor when he was included.

I always thought that he was a limited player. Pace to burn and an excellent finisher at times but that’s about it.

Kane is the real deal. Has been incredible the last two to three seasons. Even taking away his goals he still looks a class player.

If Kane was the real deal he wouldn't be playing for a team that has won nothing (with him in it) and is at best a top 4 side. He and his team have bottled it over the last number of seasons when it counted (this is an important attribute for a footballer). It would appear Walcott et all didn't by virtue of the fact they have winners medals.

If Kane is the real deal how come he isn't playing for one of the top dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah now Kane is the real deal he is on course to score 30 odd goals a season for a 4th season in a row if that's not real deal credentials for a striker in the premier league nothing is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Garzorico wrote: »

Bit of loyalty? The fact you'd be talking Neymar type money? In the Premier League in the last 4 years

34 games (21 goals)
    38 games (25 goals)
    30 games (29 goals)
    19 games (18 goals)

6 goals in his 1st 5 Champions League games.

There is alot of hype around the game in the modern era but Harry Kane is the least hyped player imaginable. He is the real deal.

There's no comparison.

Outside of Morzadec, regarded by whom? I never heard this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The "expert" opinion of Ray Wilkins

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Bit of loyalty? The fact you'd be talking Neymar type money? In the Premier League in the last 4 years

34 games (21 goals)
    38 games (25 goals)
    30 games (29 goals)
    19 games (18 goals)

6 goals in his 1st 5 Champions League games.

There is alot of hype around the game in the modern era but Harry Kane is the least hyped player imaginable. He is the real deal.

Fair enough - although I don't buy the loyalty thing for a second.

Also he has won nothing yet and medals are all that matters in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

astradave wrote: »

Who's Matt Law? Never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fair enough - although I don't buy the loyalty thing for a second.

Also he has won nothing yet and medals are all that matters in the end.

Medals are the only thing that matter to whom? If Kane decided to stay at Spurs for the next 10 years and scored another 200 goals for them then I doubt he'd regret it too much.

That being said I do see Spurs resolve being tested in the very near future. Real will need a Ronaldo replacement soon and he is the only one you look at that could possibly fill the void.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Medals are the only thing that matter to whom? If Kane decided to stay at Spurs for the next 10 years and scored another 200 goals for them then I doubt he'd regret it too much.

That being said I do see Spurs resolve being tested in the very near future. Real will need a Ronaldo replacement soon and he is the only one you look at that could possibly fill the void.

Matters to the players. I guarantee Kane would give half his goals to have any medal round his neck at the end of his career. They all would. They are all born winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Success seems to track wages more so than anything else. I dont see Spurs having a wage explosion in the next 2 years to match the top teams in the EPL so they'll never consistently compete at that level. The best they can ever hope to be is a overachieving club unless there is a massive change to the business model which will not happen under Levy.

Kane will move to another club in the near future because it will benefit his career and pocket. Keep up his current form and have a decent World Cup and Spurs will sell him a la Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

169 former players and journalists voting for the best players in the world, taken from a range of countries.

Kane recently finished 5th.

Imo he is not in the top 5, but possibly in the top 10, and certainly top 20.

But yeah he is widely considered to be based on that recent vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I think goretzka will go to Bayern. If he did end up at Liverpool I would be very worried as a Utd fan about the team they are putting together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

169 former players and journalists voting for the best players in the world, taken from a range of countries.

Kane recently finished 5th.

Imo he is not in the top 5, but possibly in the top 10, and certainly top 20.

But yeah he is widely considered to be based on that recent vote.

Mbappe was 8th, Dele Alli was ahead of David Silva, Joshua Kimmich was way below all of those. It's a bad list. De Bruyne 4th just for what he did over the last 5 months.

Kane isn't a Ron replacement. Would see him more as a Benzema replacement, who has a shocking goal record this season for a top club.

There is no ready made replacement for Ronnie, except maybe Neymar.

Hazard would help but Messi and Ronaldo can't be replaced by anyone playing the game at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

NIMAN wrote:
    Kane isn't a Ron replacement. Would see him more as a Benzema replacement, who has a shocking goal record this season for a top club.

Going to cost a lot of money for Kane though. Upwards of over 150 million in the current market. Not sure Real will buy him at that price unless he does a lot in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If Kane was the real deal he wouldn't be playing for a team that has won nothing (with him in it) and is at best a top 4 side. He and his team have bottled it over the last number of seasons when it counted (this is an important attribute for a footballer). It would appear Walcott et all didn't by virtue of the fact they have winners medals.

So much stupidity in one post. It’s a wonder you didn’t break the internet with that bollox.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Going to cost a lot of money for Kane though. Upwards of over 150 million in the current market. Not sure Real will buy him at that price unless he does a lot in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

He'd cost that for sure.

But I think he'd be a great fit at Madrid. Would get a pile of goals.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I think goretzka will go to Bayern. If he did end up at Liverpool I would be very worried as a Utd fan about the team they are putting together.

Why United :confused: why not City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Why United :confused: why not City

Because he is a Man Utd fan.

Don’t see why he’d be worried what City think.

Benimar wrote: »
    Because he is a Man Utd fan.

Don’t see why he’d be worried what City think.

Because they are the top team, Liverpool finished ahead of United as recently as last year. Is it such a big deal to finish ahead of each other that actually winning the league is irrelevant :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Because they are the top team, Liverpool finished ahead of United as recently as last year. Is it such a big deal to finish ahead of each other that actually winning the league is irrelevant :confused:

Maybe he’s worried that his team already has a lot of ground to make up on one team, and doesn’t want another one added to the mix?

Benimar wrote: »
    Maybe he’s worried that his team already has a lot of ground to make up on one team, and doesn’t want another one added to the mix?

Perhaps, makes sense i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

Has bayern written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sam Lee who is a Tier 1 source for City news reporting that $anchez is desperate to sign for City in January.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/alexis-desperate-to-leave-arsenal-in-january-wants-man-city/129d2537pny3d1rrx4llc4t9zz

Huzzah for the continued tradition of petro chemical dominance of the PL! Suck it United and your poorly funded band of orphans :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kongolo heavily linked to Huddersfield on loan from Monaco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kongolo heavily linked to Huddersfield on loan from Monaco

Moving to Huddersfield from Monaco would be a interesting change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Goretzka due in Munich to sign pre contract agreement with Bayern in the next few days according to reports from Germany.

https://twitter.com/cfbayern/status/947491309400592385

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Goretzka due in Munich to sign pre contract agreement with Bayern in the next few days according to reports from Germany.

What a shock :pac:

Actually thought he might end up at Pool, was tipped to work with Klopp and would make sense with Can most likely leaving at the end of the season.

So much stupidity in one post. It’s a wonder you didn’t break the internet with that bollox.

Relax there horsebox.

Adrien Silva finally becomes a Leicester player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Christian Heidel Dir of Football at Schalke
    Jörg Neubauer (Goretzka agent) yesterday confirmed to me on request that there is no decision so far,

https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artikel/marca-berichtet-fc-bayern-schnappt-sich-leon-goretzka/11191014/34089?wkz=WXFNL1

Might mean nothing but curious.

Rumour of Utd contacting PSG about Moura

https://twitter.com/Da...s/947811599838056450

Take with a pinch of salt. He's the Duncan castles of Liverpool it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Da...s/947811599838056450

Take with a pinch of salt. He's the Duncan castles of Liverpool it seems

Its been deleted, what was the tweet?

xtal191 wrote: »

Something about Liverpool taking Nike to court over Coutinho

xtal191 wrote: »

Pjonhson cleared it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Manchester United and Liverpool fans have one thing in common, both are obsessed with Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

So Liverpool got caught with their hand in the cookie jar with a transfer dealing so should let everything that's happening now slide? Haha awful post as per. Liverpool also made a public apology and ended any dealings that window, barca have been doubling down and ramping up their sh!thouse pursuit of coutinho and are showing no signs of stopping. But hey, banter right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

No decision yet from Goretzka.
    Arsenal, Barcelona and Liverpool all thought they had missed out on the winger after reports emerged that he was pledged to Bayern.

German newspaper Sport Bild had claimed Goretzka, whose contract at Schalke expires at the end of the season, had agreed to join Bayern on a free transfer next summer.

But his agent has spoken out to deny the speculation in a mega boost for Goretzka’s other suitors.

"When the decision has been made, Leon and I will inform Schalke first of all," Jorg Neubauer told Sport1.

Schalke director Christian Heidel added: "Leon has not informed us that he has decided to change the air, and I trust Leon and his representative, with whom I had contact yesterday

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/898752/Leon-Goretzka-Liverpool-Barcelona-Arsenal-transfer-Bayern-Munich

Advertisement