Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Window Transfer Tittle Tattle.

1252627282931»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

astradave wrote: »
    Selling a player for a huge sum and buying a replacement that is just as good for half the price is easily the best business of the window.. how the feck is that salty, if I wanted to be salty I’d be slagging Cities spending and saynng Sanchez was deal of the window..

Your in danger of becoming a parody of yourself

Also, learn how to embed!

Inigo is a fine player and a few years back he looked to have world class potential but he's not as near good as Laporte, now or ever. Let's not shoot the load here. He's becoming very injury prone too so not an ideal man to replace someone like Laporte although they share similar qualities.

City were after Martinez for a while, I'd wonder if you would be full of praise for him if City bought him...but that would just be about mindlessly spending money again wouldn't it?

Martinez's transfer is significant because he's joining the main rival of his previous club. Hope he buys an armored car with his slice of the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Urindanger wrote: »
    Inigo is a fine player and a few years back he looked to have world class potential but he's not as near good as Laporte, now or ever. Let's not shoot the load here. He's becoming very injury prone too so not an ideal man to replace someone like Laporte although they share similar qualities.

City were after Martinez for a while, I'd wonder if you would be full of praise for him if City bought him...but that would just be about mindlessly spending money again wouldn't it?

Martinez's transfer is significant because he's joining the main rival of his previous club. Hope he buys an armored car with his slice of the transfer.

Im still full of praise for Laporte actually. ;) you need to get off your defensive high horse and realise that not everything is a shot at City ffs

I’d have to wonder if you would be pumping up Laportes ability if he had signed for Chelsea/United.. or would you be diminishing it like most City fans are with Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Im still full of praise for Laporte actually. ;) you need to get off your defensive high horse and realise that not everything is a shot at City ffs

Laporte actually is still developing, which kinda scary for us when you consider that in a year or two he could be the best in the league.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Laporte actually is still developing, which kinda scary for us when you consider that in a year or two he could be the best in the league.

And if he continues that trend he will probably end up the best in the World, but right now Martinez is just as good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

I’d have to wonder if you would be pumping up Laportes ability if he had signed for Chelsea/United.. or would you be diminishing it like most City fans are with Sanchez

Of course everything isn't but seems like there's free reign at talking sh*t about City which is fine but there's been a huge lack of consistency in this transfer thread the last while. Not targeting specific names.

Laporte was one of the hottest CBs in the world a few years back before a few injuries and then he broke his leg. He was being targeted by big clubs when he was barely out of his teens. He does look a tad injury prone but whoever gets a player like that, with pace, height, ball playing ability and defensive qualities is going to have a good thing. Just like Van Dijk. The fact he cost an arm or two less than Van Dijk while being a few years younger makes it a fine deal.

Chelsea already have a gem in Christennsen. United probably should have targeted him. A mix of him and Bailly when fit would be a great contrasting fit for United with Lindelof as able cover. Shades of Rio/Vidic.

Anyone who discredits Sanchez is ignorant. For what it's worth I'm on record saying City made a mistake by allowing him go to United but it does make some sense with wage structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bilbao will have to try very hard to become even more unpopular with Bask football fans who dont support them.
    It is a fact of life over there they suck all the talent out of the other clubs in that area, preferably youth so they dont have to pay.

Nice gesture that "we only field players who are Bask" but the others over there are not really impressed

Of course everything isn't but seems like there's free reign at talking sh*t about City which is fine but there's been a huge lack of consistency in this transfer thread the last while. Not targeting specific names.

Laporte was one of the hottest CBs in the world a few years back before a few injuries and then he broke his leg. He was being targeted by big clubs when he was barely out of his teens. He does look a tad injury prone but whoever gets a player like that, with pace, height, ball playing ability and defensive qualities is going to have a good thing. Just like Van Dijk. The fact he cost an arm or two less than Van Dijk while being a few years younger makes it a fine deal.

Chelsea already have a gem in Christennsen. United probably should have targeted him. A mix of him and Bailly when fit would be a great contrasting fit for United with Lindelof as able cover. Shades of Rio/Vidic.

Anyone who discredits Sanchez is ignorant. For what it's worth I'm on record saying City made a mistake by allowing him go to United but it does make some sense with wage structure.

I’m not saying that Laporte to City is not a good deal, hell I think it’s a great deal..

I’m saying the Martinez deal when tied in with the sum received from City is the best transfer dealing of the winter.. not saying he is the best defender in the world.

What I am saying is that they got a ready made replacement, who imo is just as good (at this moment in time) for minus 28m Euro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I 100% agree with this and it is the last I will say on it.

Fairly disappointed that we didn't land Mahrez, it is all very confusing tbh.

The story seems to be changing every 5 minutes, I don't believe we put in 4 offers in one day. Apparently the initial offer went in the first week of January, it doesn't look like that though. To me it looks like he was tapped up on Tuesday, told an offer was going in and handed in a transfer request. City then pulled out the next day which isn't good for the player himself, considering his team mates supposedly aren't happy and he is stuck there.

I'm happy City showed some backbone as the rumored asking price of 95m is just mindblowing. However I do feel for Mahrez, he has clearly wanted to leave for some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mahrez deserves a move IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

theballz wrote: »

I'm happy City showed some backbone as the rumored asking price of 95m is just mindblowing. However I do feel for Mahrez, he has clearly wanted to leave for some time now.

Did you not say yesterday any price below Couthino fee was good value? Now your saying 95 is mind-blowing.

Which is it?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did you not say yesterday any price below Couthino fee was good value? Now your saying 95 is mind-blowing.

Which is it?

In this market yes it is worth it but we aren't willing to spend that. No doubt someone eventually will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

inforfun wrote: »
    Bilbao will have to try very hard to become even more unpopular with Bask football fans who dont support them.
    It is a fact of life over there they suck all the talent out of the other clubs in that area, preferably youth so they dont have to pay.

Nice gesture that "we only field players who are Bask" but the others over there are not really impressed

They've actually pillaged the likes of Real Sociedad and Osasuna so much that both clubs will now only sell to them at a hefty premium. They've not got a lot of friends outside of Bilbao for sure.

Not sure if this cantera policy is admirable at all tbh the more i think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

inforfun wrote:
    Bilbao will have to try very hard to become even more unpopular with Bask football fans who dont support them. It is a fact of life over there they suck all the talent out of the other clubs in that area, preferably youth so they dont have to pay.

They have a policy and stick to it. I like it.
    You talk about them screwing other clubs but what about all their best players being taken by bigger clubs?
    You have Laporte, Herrera, Llorente and Martinez who all went to big clubs in their prime. That's only the really big ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Oblak looks like the man to replace Cech at Arsenal.
    english.com/en/news/premier-league/raul-sanllehi-brings-jan-oblak-closer-to-arsenal-6596603

Flamini has joined Getafe.

english.com/en/news/premier-league/raul-sanllehi-brings-jan-oblak-closer-to-arsenal-6596603

Doesn’t he have an 80m release clause? Can’t see Arsenal paying that for a keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is Flamini not iron man nowadays?

astradave wrote:
    Doesn’t he have an 80m release clause? Can’t see Arsenal paying that for a keeper

Arsenal have shown in recent seasons that they are not afraid to splash the cash.

€80 million is not a huge fee for a young keeper of his quality in this new era of huge transfer fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

astradave wrote:
    Selling a player for a huge sum and buying a replacement that is just as good for half the price is easily the best business of the window.. how the feck is that salty, if I wanted to be salty I’d be slagging Cities spending and saynng Sanchez was deal of the window..

Spurs done that with walker but got slated for it for selling to a rival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Spurs done that with walker but got slated for it for selling to a rival

They didn't get a replacement that's half as good?

If anything they got a better player, Aurier, and for half the price.

And City are not Bilboa’s rival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

eagle eye wrote: »

If anything they got a better player, Aurier, and for half the price.

Not true. Walker has been the best right back in england for easily two years now. Hes been incredible for city this season(todays mistake for the goal aside). Heck im not even sure aurier ia the best right back spurs have let alone anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hope Arsenal get a signicant fee for him. Guys signed to 2022 IIRC.

ETA: Actually, no way they should sell him.

Advertisement