Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Window Transfer Tittle Tattle.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

15m for a homegrown backup isn't bad, especially if he can kick on a bit.

He's set for his medical today too.

What's with the rumours of Andy Carroll to Chelsea though :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd be willing to bet that theres nothing in the Andy Carroll rumours, I'm also utterly terrifed it does happen. :o

I cant see it though, unless Michy wants out and if he does, we're going to be panicing looking for a replacement.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    15m for a homegrown backup isn't bad, especially if he can kick on a bit.

He's set for his medical today too.

What's with the rumours of Andy Carroll to Chelsea though :O

At the summer price of 30-35m it was a stupid deal but at half that now, I'd take him.

Hes slightly better, due to his PL experience, than Chalobah, RLC, MVG, Baker, all options Chelsea have or have had at the club, we could sell a few of those and cover Barkleys fee pretty easily too but he'll only be a rotation option in the current 352 and he wont get a look in if we go 343.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Juve are deadly at the free transfers/bargain bin

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/949209858376654848?s=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He's more of a hazard type player I would have thought, backup for him

Nah he’s not really, he tries to be a no10 but imo he would be perfect for the box to box role if he can get a manager to develop him there..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Is Keita Can's replacement?

Lukker- wrote: »
    Is Keita Can's replacement?

Can has been playing more defensively this season hasn’t he.. Keita is more useful at driving the ball forward.. definitely not a direct replacement anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

astradave wrote: »
    Can has been playing more defensively this season hasn’t he.. Keita is more useful at driving the ball forward.. definitely not a direct replacement anyways

No Henderson is the deepest midfielder. Can has played there a bit though.

Said it in the Chelsea thread, I cant see him playing off a CF or in the support roles on the wing so I reckon he'll be deployed in a 3 man CM, tasked with getting forward while Kante and Cesc or Drinkwater sit back, it will be Barkley or Bakayoko in that role.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    No Henderson is the deepest midfielder. Can has played there a bit though.

Dya’s not play a 4213 though? With Henderson and Can on either side and someone like Coutinho(when he’s not out left) in front.

Tbh ye change players so much it’s hard to know where a player is consistently playing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dya’s not play a 4213 though? With Henderson and Can on either side and someone like Coutinho(when he’s not out left) in front.

Tbh ye change players so much it’s hard to know where a player is consistently playing :D

No usually one deeper and then the other two a bit further up. Henderson was the deepest with Wij and Can a bit ahead of him.

Seems to change around a lot during the game but that's usually how it lines up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I thought players could only sign for clubs in eth domestic league 1 month before their contract ends. For foreign clubs it is 6 months.

Is this only the case in England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool play whatever formation occurs to them at the time! It's 4-3-3 unless it's 4-2-4 in possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I thought players could only sign for clubs in eth domestic league 1 month before their contract ends. For foreign clubs it is 6 months.

Think its different in Germany. Bayern do this with a lot of young talent

Liverpool play whatever formation occurs to them at the time! It's 4-3-3 unless it's 4-2-4 in possession.

Well 4213 is both 433 and 424.. was just thinking about the initial set up.. if they are playing the front 4 Coutinho is usually behind the front three pulling the strings and the other 2 are a bit more defence minded no? Will be very interested to see how they line up with Keita.. probably inverted triangle 433 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently if Tosun joins in the next hour he can play against Liverpool tonight?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Apparently if Tosun joins in the next hour he can play against Liverpool tonight?

I thought it was registered before 12 the day prior.. not certain though..

Thats what I thought but then

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/05/leon-osman-gives-his-verdict-on-whether-everton-should-start-cen/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The day before the original fixture date which was Saturday.

So register before 12 today and he's fine or so I'm led to believe.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The day before the original fixture date which was Saturday.

So register before 12 today and he's fine or so I'm led to believe.

Ah so the games that are moved for tv would still have a fixed date of the Saturday in the registration phase.. that would mean that a player that signs for someone that is playing on Sunday/Monday would also need to be registered before 12 on the Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Chelsea are signing Ross Barkley for £15m

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42574404

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Homegrown and (relatively) young are the only benefits I can see of that deal.

I don't think he'll add anything that we're missing. he's not an upgrade on what we have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm pretty sure the FIFA/UEFA rule is 6 months regardless of where the player is moving, but the FA, as with many other things, have added their own regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well 4213 is both 433 and 424.. was just thinking about the initial set up.. if they are playing the front 4 Coutinho is usually behind the front three pulling the strings and the other 2 are a bit more defence minded no? Will be very interested to see how they line up with Keita.. probably inverted triangle 433 maybe?

Hard to know, Klopp could tweak the approach and use Keita as Coutinho's "replacement" by playing him less box to box and but maybe he'll use Firmino a bit deeper and bring in a new body up front and keep Keita playing his Leipzig role. So many possibilities by only losing and gaining one player.

Keita (Hendo)
    ----Lallana (Ox)
    Firmino
    Salah---New---Mane

Keita (Hendo)
    ----Lallana--Ox_Cham
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

Hendo
    Keita
    ----Lallana(Ox)
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

plus throw in Wiji as a 'change' player for any of the midfield. Plenty of options there.

You would wonder is he an actual player Conte wants?
    He seemed irked the other night at the board

How many central midfielders do they need?

Fabregas, Drinkwater, Kante, Barkley and Bakayoko, all competing for 2 spots? With Barkley not likely to be ahead of any of them.

I'd have thought competition for Morata and Alonso was more important.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You would wonder is he an actual player Conte wants?
    He seemed irked the other night at the board

Probably not, but he’s been a club target for a while. Conte might not be here next season, signing players for managers doesn’t always prove workable. He always maintains he’s the head coach and only deals with technical aspect in training, he has an input on transfers but that’s it.

The club have shown a willingness to listen though and were prepared to pay 60m for Alex Sandro, who was definitely being pushed by him. Morata too was a target in his first season

pjohnson wrote: »
    How many central midfielders do they need?

Fabregas, Drinkwater, Kante, Barkley and Bakayoko, all competing for 2 spots?

I'd have thought competition for Morata and Alonso was more important.

3 spots when they play 352. Does not mean they won’t strengthen other positions but you are limited in Januar. That’s even if he considers him a midfielder, there’s a good chance Conte uses him as a forward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Barkley is a rare underrated English player imo. Made top ten on assist list last two seasons and was youngest player in that top 10 both years, despite not being his side's chief set piece taker which is quite the achievement. Chips in with his share of goals too. Has a lot of aggression for the defensive side of the game too.
    Just turned 24 and players in that position usually don't peak until a bit older so he's a great acquisition for Chelsea for so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/949270160304730112

Having a good season, he'll be very well paid obviously but a shame he's going to China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Wasn't a 35 mil fee agreed in summer but he pulled out? (Barkley) .. big loss for the toffees of 20 Mill and he ain't kicked a ball all season through injury. Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Wasn't a 35 mil fee agreed in summer but he pulled out? (Barkley) .. big loss for the toffees of 20 Mill and he ain't kicked a ball all season through injury. Ouch

been at the club since he was 10 - and calls himself an Evertonian - what a grest modern attitude , sums up why he will never be a top player , just a rich one with unfullfilled talent

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Barkley is a rare underrated English player imo. Made top ten on assist list last two seasons and was youngest player in that top 10 both years, despite not being his side's chief set piece taker which is quite the achievement. Chips in with his share of goals too. Has a lot of aggression for the defensive side of the game too.
    Just turned 24 and players in that position usually don't peak until a bit older so he's a great acquisition for Chelsea for so cheap.

over-rated for me - its all about Ross Barkley - delighted to finally see the back of him

thebaz wrote: »
    been at the club since he was 10 - and calls himself an Evertonian - what a grest modern attitude , sums up why he will never be a top player , just a rich one with unfullfilled talent

He wont know if hes going to become a top player until he joins a bigger club and gives it a shot. Plenty before him have thrived at bigger clubs and even more have flopped.

I suspect he'll either do ok for Chelsea or flop, I cant see him being great but more than willing to give him a go at that price.

Its a kick for Everton and the loyalty they showed him because in this market, if he had 3 years on his contract hes worth 35-40m given what players are going for these days.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its a kick for Everton and the loyalty they showed him because in this market, if he had 3 years on his contract hes worth 35-40m given what players are going for these days.

thats the bit that I dont like - every top player is rich these days - for a local lad to treat his boyhood club so shabbily, just sums up what you are getting. I can nearly guarantee he will fail to deliver at WC , and it is cause of this greedy ego of many top English players why they continue to fail at the top level - anyway had my rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Never heard Barkley called underrated before, 18 months ago he was going to be England's next big 'skillful' player. He has talent definitely but when you watch him over 90 minutes he always seemed to need a certain formation to play well and got lost a bit when Everton weren't pressing forward, and maybe Everton fans would know more about it of course. For the money quoted it sounds a good deal in the current market but technically I would say there's a quite a number of players on the continent who are far better and don't come with any 'English' baggage.

thebaz wrote: »
    over-rated for me - its all about Ross Barkley - delighted to finally see the back of him

You're crazy bitter. Name the last promising player that stayed at a boyhood club coming into their peak at a side with no title credentials? Probably Matt le Tiss. It just doesnt happen anymore.

And 're overrated as I said he's putting up numbers last few seasons that no player his age or younger were matching including those at far better clubs than Everton. The idiocy of saying its all about him when quoting my post that's highlighting his assists prowess. He was far ahead of the curve for his age and Chelsea have got themselves an absolute steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

You're crazy bitter. Name the last promising player that stayed at a boyhood club coming into their peak at a side with no title credentials? Probably Matt le Tiss. It just doesnt happen anymore.

And 're overrated as I said he's putting up numbers last few seasons that no player his age or younger were matching including those at far better clubs than Everton. The idiocy of saying its all about him when quoting my post that's highlighting his assists prowess. He was far ahead of the curve for his age and Chelsea have got themselves an absolute steal.

It's not the fact that he left - it's the fact that he waited for an extra 6 months, costing the club approx 10/15m in transfer fee - during which time the club gave him medical attention for his inury and paid his wages and then he fecks off before having kicked a ball

It's not the fact he's leaving, it's the manner in which he's gone about it....

He's a greedy rat - simple as - talented yes - but it is all about him - he stitched up Everton , your favourite club and less of the ****ing attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He wont know if hes going to become a top player until he joins a bigger club and gives it a shot. Plenty before him have thrived at bigger clubs and even more have flopped.

I suspect he'll either do ok for Chelsea or flop, I cant see him being great but more than willing to give him a go at that price.

At the end of the day the team will either win or lose, or draw.

It's not the fact that he left - it's the fact that he waited for an extra 6 months, costing the club approx 10/15m in transfer fee - during which time the club gave him medical attention for his inury and paid his wages and then he fecks off before having kicked a ball

It's not the fact he's leaving, it's the manner in which he's gone about it....

Its really not a players place to be concerned about the balance sheets at a club. Perhaps if was a cash strapped club and his sale was the only source of funds for future buying but they were spending big on every average Tom, Dick and Harry during the Summer so the €20 million difference is only loose change in the grand scheme of things for these billionaire owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

He put up decent numbers but mostly as a key player for Everton, dunno if he's proven to be good enough from what's he shown at Everton he's always been one of these players who's ready to kick on next season like Walcott or Ox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Its really not a players place to be concerned about the balance sheets at a club. Perhaps if was a cash strapped club and his sale was the only source of funds for future buying but they were spending big on every average Tom, Dick and Harry during the Summer so the €20 million difference is only loose change in the grand scheme of things for these billionaire owners.

If i was barkley, id rather the money in my pocket than my clubs pocket and thats pretty much all that matters.

• Advertisement

POKERKING wrote: »
    If i was barkley, id rather the money in my pocket than my clubs pocket and thats pretty much all that matters.

Exactly, the club are hardly struggling. He's gotta to ensure his own security, because any player is a bad leg break away from retirement so you have to make hay while the sun shines and when you're at your most lucaritve.

The turncoat fans will probably still boo him on his return despite his good service last few seasons, but unfortunately this sport attracts a certain proportion of that calibre of fan.

POKERKING wrote: »

Somehow I thought football was more than just money - what he did was wrong - hasnt played one minute for the club this year and then turns his boyhood club over for 20 million - some may call it loose change - i dont - the modern game can be horrible.

Exactly, the club are hardly struggling. He's gotta to ensure his own security, because any player is a bad leg break away from retirement so you have to make hay while the sun shines and when you're at your most lucaritve.

The turncoat fans will probably still boo him on his return despite his good service last few seasons, but unfortunately this sport attracts a certain proportion of that calibre of fan.

Seriously - Ross is set up for life way before the Chelsea deal on Everton money - and regarding Evertons ambition I thought we had Big Sam - I wont forget his great service this season (or last

razorblunt wrote: »
    At the end of the day the team will either win or lose, or draw.

I've covered two of the 3 bases TBF. :P

I dont think he'll do great, just being honest really, he does have room for improvement in his decision making, granted I've not seen all that often but hes always struck me as an all action style, brain left at the door type player, if he can be coached to have more discipline and better judgement, he could be better than what we've already seen.

Back to the main thing though, the price, we could sell him in 12 months time and probably still get double what we paid for him, so its a bit of a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I don't see Barkley doing anything at Chelsea. Other than being sold for a tidy profit to a mid-table team where he continues to struggle before dropping down the leagues. Just doesn't have the intelligence to go with his specific abilities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement