Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    I'm from June '17 campaign. The sound was **** when I done mine too. I never go the Victims name which was required through the report and I came out with a fairly good OOM, although I'm pretty confident all other elements of my report were spot on.

From what I remember you marked on accuracy aswell so you'd be deducted marks if you got the digits in the phone number mixed up.

Don't worry too much about it, it's done now. I'm sure you done better than you thought.

Yeah hopefully, all I can do now is wait and see I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 peaches18

Does anyone know how much time is generally between stage 2 and stage 3.

Additionally, the familiarisation material overlaps on the section of “preparation of stage 3” and I litterally can’t read it.

Can anyone please copy and paste it for me here? It’s fairly long. Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TightyWhiteys

1600's here, not sure what to think about it but look we'll see what happens!

Just got called to book a slot for stage 2 today, theres still hope for those who didn't get the first 900

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clare2018

Just got called for stage 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

I got called today aswel I was placed number 169*, what's the craic with that?

Do they have to call everyone?

Or was everyone else getting help at home and found to be cheaters?

Must have been around 4000 applicants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

I am trying to book it now. It's asking me what time I want to do my interview??? :confused: Wat?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

job seeker wrote: »
    I am trying to book it now. It's asking me what time I want to do my interview??? :confused: Wat?

Jesus

kellbag91 wrote: »
    Jesus

Where??? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

I just booked mine there. Thought i would be waiting ages to be called. Has anyone done a course to help with stage 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Got called today for Stage 2! What should I be doing now? I bought the stage 1 career services course, should I just revise this or is it worth spending another €100 on the stage 2 course? Any opinions welcome!

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »

Did you do stage 2? Last week of this week? That was quick!

Did you do stage 2? Last week of this week? That was quick!

Naw, not at all.. I was only invited for stage 2 today. But I noticed that when I was booking my place for stage 2. Just above where you select the time. It says, please select the time for your interview.. Obviously it was referring to stage 2.. Just thought it was a bit odd though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Got the invitation for Stage 2 today, I saw a 'we regret to inform you...' email about part time work so it's a nice surprise (to get called up for the 2nd stage of AGS).

I'm not continuing with college if I get into AGS.
    I was told that not having a degree would mean I am going to be less likely to get promoted (if I get in).. Is that true?
    I know there's a payscale difference but I didn't think I'd be that disadvantages if I got in and didn't have a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭davinci88

TheBiz wrote: »
    Got the invitation for Stage 2 today, I saw the 'we regret to inform you...' email about part time work so it's a nice surprise.

I was told that not having a degree would mean I am going to be less likely to get promoted (if I get in).. Is that true?
    I know there's a payscale difference but I didn't think I'd be that disadvantages if I got in and didn't have a degree.

What did they regret to inform you about wprk ????? You could continue your degree after , if the GS was really in your heart, or as it may happen , you could be finished college before you are called so dont leave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davinci88 wrote: »
    What did they regret to inform you about wprk ????? You could continue your degree after , if the GS was really in your heart, or as it may happen , you could be finished college before you are called so dont leave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been looking for some part time work over the summer and if I'm going back to college, I applied online for part time work in a restaurant and they just emailed me to say I didn't get the job.
    So I was annoyed at that but then I saw I had a notification on about the Garda recruitment.
    It was unrelated I just felt a little bit better about not getting a ****ty minimum wage part time job when I saw I passed stage one.

I've 3 years left in college, I'm changing to a different field if I don't get in so I'm not even sure I'll enjoy my course.
    I'm just keeping my options open so if I don't get the GS I at least have something to fall back on..

Sorry about that I should have been a bit clearer.

I've been looking for some part time work over the summer and if I'm going back to college, I applied online for part time work in a restaurant and they just emailed me to say I didn't get the job.
    So I was annoyed at that but then I saw I had a notification on about the Garda recruitment.
    It was unrelated I just felt a little bit better about not getting a ****ty minimum wage part time job when I saw I passed stage one.

I've 3 years left in college, I'm changing to a different field if I don't get in so I'm not even sure I'll enjoy my course.
    I'm just keeping my options open so if I don't get the GS I at least have something to fall back on..

Sorry about that I should have been a bit clearer.

I got ye now , sorry to hear that !

Keep tapping away , there is work out there! As for the college DO NOT LEAVE !

It could be 2 years before you start in Templemore .

Better to have 1 or 2 years left to do over time than 3 full years ! Dont throw in the towel and keep applying for work !

I am post stage 2 myself and not counting any chickens or thinking my life will change in any way before 2020 !

Good luck pal !

I got ye now , sorry to hear that !

Keep tapping away , there is work out there! As for the college DO NOT LEAVE !

It could be 2 years before you start in Templemore .

Better to have 1 or 2 years left to do over time than 3 full years ! Dont throw in the towel and keep applying for work !

I am post stage 2 myself and not counting any chickens or thinking my life will change in any way before 2020 !

Good luck pal !

Is this is the general opinion? I thought I read further back in this thread, that time campaign was going to be quick and looking at intake in early 2019 or am I wrong 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Is this is the general opinion? I thought I read further back in this thread, that time campaign was going to be quick and looking at intake in early 2019 or am I wrong 🀔

Maybe second/third quarter for the top 200 with no vetting issues. All previous campaigns will take precedence though. It's just a question of vetting once you have everything passed. So if you're 18-23 have always lived at home, not too many jobs, small family and no one lives abroad, I'd say you're golden!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

Got the invitation for Stage 2 today, I saw a 'we regret to inform you...' email about part time work so it's a nice surprise (to get called up for the 2nd stage of AGS).

According to my cousin who is a garda. it might
    l depend on the degree. if you have a degree in art its not going to put you in a better position then someone who has been a garda longer. If you do your job to the best of your abilities then you should be in with a chance of getting a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TightyWhiteys

Don't believe everything you read on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Anyone who has ever taken part in previous campaigns will tell you its a long process. Best case scenario for entry might be year and a half, background checks take some time. Having said that this recruitment is moving quicker than before.

kellbag91 wrote: »
    Anyone who has ever taken part in previous campaigns will tell you its a long process. Best case scenario for entry might be year and a half, background checks take some time. Having said that this recruitment is moving quicker than before.

The career services informational video for Part 2 says you can be waiting for as little as 8 weeks or up to and above 6 months (or something like that) but I wasn't one of the first 900 and I was called less than a 4 weeks after, so maybe that's a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jimmy.james

Hi there i am just wondering is a level d3 in irish and french both at ordinary enough to pass for the requirements? I failed honours English paper so unsure of what i need.... i also have a fetac level 5 qualification ...please help if possible

Hi there i am just wondering is a level d3 in irish and french both at ordinary enough to pass for the requirements? I failed honours English paper so unsure of what i need.... i also have a fetac level 5 qualification ...please help if possible

As long as you have a minimum D3 at Ordinary Level in five subjects including the two languages, one of them being Irish or English, you are good.

A major award at Level 5 plus the two languages would also mean you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

Got called today for Stage 2! What should I be doing now? I bought the stage 1 career services course, should I just revise this or is it worth spending another €100 on the stage 2 course? Any opinions welcome!

Stage 2 material for verbal/ logical is pretty much the same as stage one. However, if you are worried about the report writing I’d recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

I’ve been to two talks from Guardi about joining up and one said you could be called in around Jan 2019 and more recently told around April 2019 but that’s it all subject to change. I think they are trying to speed up the process but all depends on your background checks too

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

I think they may have said it in the centre but I missed it but just wondering when results may be out for people who have now completed Stage 2?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Maybe second/third quarter for the top 200 with no vetting issues. All previous campaigns will take precedence though. It's just a question of vetting once you have everything passed. So if you're 18-23 have always lived at home, not too many jobs, small family and no one lives abroad, I'd say you're golden!

What's your jobs got to do with vetting?

Gmanno1 wrote: »

I don't know, I was just reading through what's involved in getting security clearance in other countries, obviously it's not guaranteed that that's what they look at here.

The common theme in each country I looked at was just making sure that you would not be vulnerable to blackmail or bribery.

One of the things that came up was work history either last 10years, 5 years or in the US since the age of 16! And in the US they ring every single employer and sometimes interview them face to face but that's for high level security clearance. They also check your credit history, and in the US for high level clearance they verify your entire medical history!

It's just that if it was like regular vetting, plus spent convictions and a quick scan of the pulse system I cannot see what the hold up would be?

• Advertisement

I don't know, I was just reading through what's involved in getting security clearance in other countries, obviously it's not guaranteed that that's what they look at here.

The common theme in each country I looked at was just making sure that you would not be vulnerable to blackmail or bribery.

One of the things that came up was work history either last 10years, 5 years or in the US since the age of 16! And in the US they ring every single employer and sometimes interview them face to face but that's for high level security clearance. They also check your credit history, and in the US for high level clearance they verify your entire medical history!

It's just that if it was like regular vetting, plus spent convictions and a quick scan of the pulse system I cannot see what the hold up would be?

Edit: Anyway, I was just thinking some of the 'Scheduled Organisations' would be Revenue and the Department of Social Protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

The only thing that worries me about my vetting is my poor credit rating. Years of a misspent youth have it pretty poor. Although I am at a point where I’ve paid most things back it’s just taken me a long time :(

Uweir32 wrote: »

The only thing that worries me about my vetting is my poor credit rating. Years of a misspent youth have it pretty poor. Although I am at a point where I’ve paid most things back it’s just taken me a long time :(

Really

Its a job application not a mortgage application !

Really

It's probably more to do with honesty, integrity and whether you'd be vulnerable to bribery/blackmail. That's if they even do check your credit history in Ireland!

Uweir32 wrote: »

I think the key thing to remember (if they even do check it in Ireland - I really don't know) is that you are older, wiser and have spent your time clearing it. It's not like you built up and then walked away from a massive credit card debt and said screw it. Or left the ESB hanging for a couple of thousand and moved home. I'm just guessing because I'm bored and stressed out that my own vetting is taking forever! It's all pure speculation. I wouldn't worry.

Really

It's probably more to do with honesty, integrity and whether you'd be vulnerable to bribery/blackmail. That's if they even do check your credit history in Ireland!

Ok I get ye !

The whole countries in debt up to their eyes man ! Id say your good !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

:([/quote]

Really

Its a job application not a mortgage application ![/quote]

I know but I’ve read loads mention it. Though I’m a civil servant in the north at the minute and it’s never effected me getting any internal posts etc maybe just overthinking it

Really

Lads I think you're over thinking it.

They can't say youre not getting the job because you missed few payments or owe a bit of money. It would be unfair to say every man in debt is open to back handers, people can still be of good character, debt or no debt.

Once you're not related to a kinnahan or hutch etc,
    Have no serious criminal history
    And are of good character you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

found a link on youtube for objective & verbal tests.. 150/450 tests examples in total.

www.gradtests.com.au

thinking of buying this if anyone looking to exchange careerservices refersher info for extra practice just PM

I booked my stage 2 on Sunday prior to the 3pm deadline on Monday. How long does it take to receive the thing we have to print off and bring with is on the day along with ID? There is nothing in my bookings now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

I booked my stage 2 on Sunday prior to the 3pm deadline on Monday. How long does it take to receive the thing we have to print off and bring with is on the day along with ID? There is nothing in my bookings now.

Should be in your messages, just stating the date and time you’re due in. That’s all I printed anyway and they took it! Good luck :)

• Advertisement

Should be in your messages, just stating the date and time you’re due in. That’s all I printed anyway and they took it! Good luck :)

Just screenshot your Public Jobs page it will suffice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Anyone any idea when we'll get results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

This post has been deleted.

P1nkr0ses wrote: »
    Just received my results. Pleasent surprise for a Monday! Bricking it for this interview now.

Same here. They're only calling up the first 137 and I'm just over 150 so I'm hoping to be in the next batch called. Hopefully in October

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Davehego

Iv just found out Iv passed also. Improved on my place as well. Im not in the first interview group however. Anyone have an idea how quick they go through the interview groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Yahoo, delighted that I got through!
    Dropped a bit on OOM but still in the first batch. Terrified of this interview now!

Yahoo, delighted that I got through!
    Dropped a bit on OOM but still in the first batch. Terrified of this interview now!

Congrats! Yours to lose now if you're in the top 137! Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

LukeP26 wrote: »
    Congrats! Yours to lose now if you're in the top 137! Good luck :)

Cheers and congrats yourself! I wouldn't say your batch will be far behind either, bit of extra prep time isn't a bad thing!

Cheers and congrats yourself! I wouldn't say your batch will be far behind either, bit of extra prep time isn't a bad thing!

That's true too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clare2018

Does anyone know the policy on tattoos. I know it said none on face or neck, what about fingers? I've some small tattoos on my fingers?is this gonna screw me over?

• Advertisement
Advertisement