Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Clare2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the policy on tattoos. I know it said none on face or neck, what about fingers? I've some small tattoos on my fingers?is this gonna screw me over?

The Sgt there said no tattoos that are visible are allowed. They must be removed before medical. So neck up and hands. Arms and legs ok as they can be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 traceyf933

CZ 453 wrote: »
    The Sgt there said no tattoos that are visible are allowed. They must be removed before medical. So neck up and hands. Arms and legs ok as they can be covered.

I'm just waitiw for interview. I have a tattoo on the back of my neck but is covered by a shirt buttoned up. Its small enough. I dont think this would be an issue would it seeing as its not visible outside of a shirt or on the frong of my neck or face or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I’m up next week for Stage 2! If I was successful and get through to the interview, would anyone be able to guesstimate when the interview would be! I’ve been asked to cover hols for a week in October that I won’t be able to get out of!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vital Work

I’m up next week for Stage 2! If I was successful and get through to the interview, would anyone be able to guesstimate when the interview would be! I’ve been asked to cover hols for a week in October that I won’t be able to get out of!
    It all depends on your OOM after you complete your stage 2. I have my interview booked for 2 weeks time but we got a choice of dates over a 2 week period so you should be okay even if your interview is around the time you have to cover work!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Vital Work wrote: »
    It all depends on your OOM after you complete your stage 2. I have my interview booked for 2 weeks time but we got a choice of dates over a 2 week period so you should be okay even if your interview is around the time you have to cover work!

Interview in two weeks time ! I'm surprised how quick this campaign is moving compaired to recent years.

kellbag91 wrote: »
    Interview in two weeks time ! I'm surprised how quick this campaign is moving compaired to recent years.

Were you in the first group of the first 900? I'm in the second group, I have my stage 2 next week.

Were you in the first group of the first 900? I'm in the second group, I have my stage 2 next week.

I'm in the second group booked in for next Thursday. I'm happy enough being in the second it gives me more time to add to the CV for the interview. You're next week as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

any ideas what the Job simulation testing involves at second assessment and how its marked?

any ideas what the Job simulation testing involves at second assessment and how its marked?

Its the same as you did in stage 1 A. The only new element is Report writing.

• Advertisement

Anyone know about the distance rule about being stationed from where you live? Is it outlined anywhere so that I can read up on it. Does every trainee have to do a term in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Anyone know about the distance rule about being stationed from where you live? Is it outlined anywhere so that I can read up on it. Does every trainee have to do a term in Dublin?

The Sargent that showed us the power point yesterday, said that it was 80km outside your home, local town/village etc. I am not sure if it;s written out anywhere...

Sgt in meeting at stage 2 said 80km from home. Said after 5 years relaxed to 50km. Rare exceptions to this. And it may not apply to bigger cities like Cork and Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Not every trainee has to do a term in Dublin anymore, as far as I know when the recruitment ban was lifted the vast majority went to Dublin because the demand was there but it's not like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Sgt in meeting at stage 2 said 80km from home. Said after 5 years relaxed to 50km. Rare exceptions to this. And it may not apply to bigger cities like Cork and Dublin.

AFAIK one of the exceptions is if one of your parents is a guard. Not sure why it would matter, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Lads, I have a short memory. Did we have to upload a copy of our CV when we applied to public jobs? I have just spotted a discrepancy on my interview form A compared to my CV (not a major mistake, in fact it is an obvious typo, but still, it is a mistake I want to rectify!)

I figure if I have submitted the CV, which is correct, at he same time as the interview form, I should be good. But I don't remember if we had to do that or not! At the time of application I was sending my CV out left and right.

Plz halp.

• Advertisement

Lads, I have a short memory. Did we have to upload a copy of our CV when we applied to public jobs? I have just spotted a discrepancy on my interview form A compared to my CV (not a major mistake, in fact it is an obvious typo, but still, it is a mistake I want to rectify!)

I figure if I have submitted the CV, which is correct, at he same time as the interview form, I should be good. But I don't remember if we had to do that or not! At the time of application I was sending my CV out left and right.

Plz halp.

No. Just two application forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

No. Just two application forms.

Flip. I suppose it is good I spotted the discrepancy before interview rather than after.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Should we bring our CVs with us to the interview? What else do we need apart from the education results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

LukeP26 wrote: »
    Should we bring our CVs with us to the interview? What else do we need apart from the education results?

CV isn't needed, you'll need to bring;

Long form birth cert

Passport photos

Your actual passport or other photo ID

Completed Form B

Leaving Cert results

They send you a checklist with your Form B that will help you keep track.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Strider wrote: »
    CV isn't needed, you'll need to bring;

Long form birth cert

Passport photos

Your actual passport or other photo ID

Completed Form B

Leaving Cert results

They send you a checklist with your Form B that will help you keep track.

Thanks for that. I never received a form b??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

LukeP26 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I never received a form b??

There should be a link to it in your interview invitation. If there isn't get onto PAS asap. There is a lot of work involved chasing down details for family members and partner's family members if you're living together. It's not something you can leave til the last minute. Unless you know everyone's DOB, occupation and last known address.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Davehego

Anyone done the interview from the first 137? Any news on when the other interview dates will be coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Results this week, from second batch?

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    Results this week, from second batch?

Hoping so. Thought we'd get an email last Friday but they did say on the day to expect them early Oct so hopefully this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Hoping so. Thought we'd get an email last Friday but they did say on the day to expect them early Oct so hopefully this week.

It was a Monday for the first batch so hopefully tomorrow

Not related to this trainee campaign but on the off chance that anyone might know...

Are you able to be a Garda reserve in your own town?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 robkell1234

hello first time posting on this put I received my stage 2 results today and I got qualified and passed them all I currently lay 620 on the oom which is outside there bracket again am I guaranteed now to get an interview at some stage or what happens thanks for the help.

hello first time posting on this put I received my stage 2 results today and I got qualified and passed them all I currently lay 620 on the oom which is outside there bracket again am I guaranteed now to get an interview at some stage or what happens thanks for the help.

Would like to know this too

Would like to know this too

You'll get an interview. Just might take a while. Get your family details and get training in the meantime. Congrats!

What number are interviews at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RyanCork003

Im early 500s and my interview is the end of this month so if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

Hey guys, any advice on how the interview goes/how they ask about the competencies? are they broad like give an e.g. of this competency or are they more specific like in your last job tell me a time when u showed this competency? thanks :)

rossd92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, any advice on how the interview goes/how they ask about the competencies? are they broad like give an e.g. of this competency or are they more specific like in your last job tell me a time when u showed this competency? thanks :)

More specific.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    More specific.

Thanks FIVE.O, how specific we talking do you know? :)

Thanks FIVE.O, how specific we talking do you know? :)

Your questions will be asked specifically around the 'interview form' you filled out at the beginning of the process. My advice to you would be to base your competencies examples around the information you put on that form,Hope that helps.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Your questions will be asked specifically around the 'interview form' you filled out at the beginning of the process. My advice to you would be to base your competencies examples around the information you put on that form,Hope that helps.

Appreciate the feedback :)

Appreciate the feedback :)

Sent you a PM there.

Anyone else been called for slots in November....I'm still waiting, in the 600's

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Folks I’m trying to prepare for my fitness test should I pass the interview. Does anyone know if you aided during the sit ups. In the online video it shows them being aided by someone holding their ankles etc...
    Any prep advice for the fitness test would be greatly appreciated- I’m already about 4 stone over the BMI allowance so I’m in for a long tough fitness regime in preparation so I don’t want to waste any time preparing incorrectly

• Advertisement

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Folks I’m trying to prepare for my fitness test should I pass the interview. Does anyone know if you aided during the sit ups. In the online video it shows them being aided by someone holding their ankles etc...
    Any prep advice for the fitness test would be greatly appreciated- I’m already about 4 stone over the BMI allowance so I’m in for a long tough fitness regime in preparation so I don’t want to waste any time preparing incorrectly

Yea man, the hold or stand on your feet when doing the sit ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 octopusprime

Sit-ups are aided, they'll stand on your feet and count for you.

The best advice I can give you is to simulate the test as often as possible.

Practice the shuttle regularly, try run 5 k 2-3 times a week and do the shuttle test on your rest days, you'll see the hard work paying off in a matter of weeks. Buy some cones on Amazon or something and head down to the GAA pitch a couple of evenings to practice the obstacle course.

For push-ups, make sure your form is correct, no arching the back etc, and get your chest down low. Sit-ups need to be done with fingers touching your temples, not back of your head or behind your ears. Small details, but instructors will be looking out for them.

And don't procrastinate, you may not do your fitness test for another 6 months but use that time to get ready now.

Good luck!

Yeah the instructor will stand on your feet.

Because you have the time, I'd start with the couch to 5k as your baseline fitness and go from there towards HIIT/Interval/Fartlek/VO2Max/Beep Test training. You can do yoga/pilates or strength & conditioning on your off days.

But I'd be running 3 days a week and cross training 1- 2 days a week initially. Then once you have a baseline fitness you can add an extra day of running/swimming/cycling/strength & conditioning. Just make sure you build it up gradually. The last thing you need is an injury. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Thanks so much guys greatly appreciated. I’ve beendoing 3/4 gym sessions a week mostly weights training and spin classes. But started couch to 5k last night and aiming to change my training to much more cardio based as of this week.

Thanks again - will keep you posted

If you are preparing for the fitness test I would be realistic with yourself and your abilities. Find out the standards for your age and sex. Each time you train do the mock test which is on youtube. If your push-ups are low put a weight on your back when doing them this will improve them, you should aim to add two exta reps every week. Practice quick sprints in stead of long slow jogs. As for sit-ups practice good quality reps with nothing holding your legs. Pay attention to the form and technique in the instruction videos online.

They should have sent you an email with preparation information on it, outlining what they expect from each competencey. Just make sure your competencie shows what they are looking for in your answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mackaattackin

Well lads,
    Just got a date for my interview for stage three and just wondering does it take long to get the email regarding form b and the details of the interview? Just because I read there is a bit too form b and getting details of family members etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Well lads,
    Just got a date for my interview for stage three and just wondering does it take long to get the email regarding form b and the details of the interview? Just because I read there is a bit too form b and getting details of family members etc.

I got mine 3 days later. You can find older versions of Form B if you google it and start filling it out and then just fill in the proper one you get in the messages later on, that's what I did. There was minimal difference in the two forms.

Start now so you can focus on your interview and you are not worrying about Form B.

Is there any other test along with the interview?

Well lads,

Good luck, what number are you between?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    Is there any other test along with the interview?

No,

Just make sure you bring passport/drivers license, leaving cert results, original birth cert with you along with completed form B. The person at the desk will take your documents aside from Form B, you'll go into an office with someone who runs through your form B and takes it (or may request you get more info too).

Then you'll be waiting for your interview.

After the interview, you will get your documents back (aside from form B).

• Advertisement
Advertisement