Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Can anyone tell me when we’re given an OOM? Is it from this round or stage 2? Obviously it could be anytime this week but doesn’t mean I won’t be checking the phone every 3-4 minutes during my day off...

You get your Order of Merit after the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Flashpoint

pedrigo wrote: »
    Just before results are realeased I've 2 questions

1. What is considered a good OOM? As in with 800 places would anything sub 800 be considered good or eould you need to be scoring much higher to progress quickly through the process?

2. With regard to gaining a level 8 degree and the increments that go with it, does it need to be 2.2 or will 3rd or pass do?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone on Monday.

A Degree is a Degree. And if I rember it said 3rd level degrees and nothing about grades. I have levels 6,7 & 8 (soon to be two level 8's) which is well about the minimum requirements for the job.

Its really in high profile jobs like mid-senior management were there is only 1 position, several applications all with identical or similar CV's would degree grading become a factor.

I personally don't provide exam results or degree grades in my CV/Initial applications as they don't fully represent the person.

So don't let that bother you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I have text messages from public jobs at 15:31 and 15:58 in previous weeks so holding on to every bit of hope for today.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

Elliot192 wrote: »
    You get your Order of Merit after the interview.

Thanks For that :)

If they are contacting people by batch this week, I'm guessing if some people get contacted today they are the first batch?

If they were to invite 800 to stage 2, in 5 batches. That would work out at 160 invites per day this week. But I am prob totally wrong, I don't know how they do it.

• Advertisement

Flashpoint wrote: »
    If they are contacting people by batch this week, I'm guessing if some people get contacted today they are the first batch?

If they were to invite 800 to stage 2, in 5 batches. That would work out at 160 invites per day this week. But I am prob totally wrong, I don't know how they do it.

Would love to know how many actually completed the stage 1 tests after applying.. Apparently there are plenty who applying to keep the dole office happy who don’t bother, or don’t bother because there are tests, etc..

800 jobs and no idea how many are in the running anymore haha

Would love to know how many actually completed the stage 1 tests after applying.. Apparently there are plenty who applying to keep the dole office happy who don’t bother, or don’t bother because there are tests, etc..

800 jobs and no idea how many are in the running anymore haha

That's true, I applied for a career. But it has shut up the social welfare went I told them. A Garda career might not be the best in the country but it's better than the social welfare factory jobs.

That said some people like being on the dole too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

As far as I know everybody gets their results at the same time and it is simply pass or fail . If you pass stage 1 you get your OOM which is your results ranked compared to others who have reached the required standard. Your OOM changes after stage 2 and 3 as people either drop out or your marks fall. The higher your OOM the quicker you get called for the next stage. There are no batches etc.

So basically at some stage this week we will find out:

1. If we passed

2. Our OOM

That's true, I applied for a career. But it has shut up the social welfare went I told them. A Garda career might not be the best in the country but it's better than the social welfare factory jobs.

Completely true, amigo, would be in the same boat pretty much there! I suppose at the other end some people enjoy being Gardaí too, we’ll wait and see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

I’ve been applying for new jobs lately, worried about starting something new while trying to get into the Gardai but in need of earning more money at the same time. It would prob be hard to get time off for tests/interviews etc. have any of experience of this? The process seems so long I might be okay. Anyone get results today?

• Advertisement

Completely true, amigo, would be in the same boat pretty much there! I suppose at the other end some people enjoy being Gardaí too, we’ll wait and see ;)

Well I know a few Gardai current and ex, it's not as wonderful as people think. But it pays the bills I guess

I don’t know how anyone likes being in the dole, gives me anxiety even at the thought of going over to sign. My job is in a school and I don’t get paid for the summer, I’ve been applying for summer work but got nothing so far except babysitting here and there, left it as long as I could before I had to go over and they make it so hard. I prob won’t even get it for next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Not going have them until end of the week unfortunately, just called and enquired.

Well I know a few Gardai current and ex, it's not as wonderful as people think. But it pays the bills I guess

I actually don’t know any Gardai. Besides dealing with one or two as a witness to something. I’d love to speak to one or two in the force to hear what they’ve to say about it. I originally wanted to join the Garda reserves for some experience and to see what the job entails but they won’t be recruiting for another while yet. I’ve watched the RTE series alright. It’s always a job I wanted and people have always said I’m the ‘type ‘ to be a guard lol but I’m also afraid that it is vastly diff to what I imagine.

leheaven wrote: »
    I’ve been applying for new jobs lately, worried about starting something new while trying to get into the Gardai but in need of earning more money at the same time. It would prob be hard to get time off for tests/interviews etc. have any of experience of this? The process seems so long I might be okay. Anyone get results today?

Same boat,
    Started a new job in April and they’re surprisingly accommodating about the whole thing but a lot of people saying not to put your life on hold, juuuust in case :)

thos23 wrote: »
    Not going have them until end of the week unfortunately, just called and enquired.

Thanks for calling and telling us :)

thos23 wrote: »

God Dam it, what are they doing up there

Same boat,
    Started a new job in April and they’re surprisingly accommodating about the whole thing but a lot of people saying not to put your life on hold, juuuust in case :)

Seems like the best idea with the waiting time for a lot of people but then there are others who’ve gotten through quite fast. I’m really going for it this time around but don’t want to complicate things or let others down in the process lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi i am just wondering is anyone working in a security job at the moment? Do you think this would stand out in the interview stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 NW_EIRE

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi i am just wondering is anyone working in a security job at the moment? Do you think this would stand out in the interview stage?

I’m hoping the 4 years I spent in the army gives me some sort of boost anyway

• Advertisement

NW_EIRE wrote: »

It should do, I’m counting on 3 years in river rescue and suicide prevention but as long as something is community focused it’ll hopefully help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

I used working in e-commerce and recruitment in my examples and did well, security and river rescue would be way better.

Were you in the PDF or RDF? Not that it really matters

Were you in the PDF or RDF? Not that it really matters

Was in the pdf. Was a long 4 years lol

Was in the pdf. Was a long 4 years lol

Not too bad in the RDF a good few years myself

Have you guys trained by yourself for the fitness test or have you gone to a fitness coach? I’ve little experience doing push ups and sit ups so I’m afraid I’d be doing them wrong lol

Have you guys trained by yourself for the fitness test or have you gone to a fitness coach? I’ve little experience doing push ups and sit ups so I’m afraid I’d be doing them wrong lol

Push Ups & Sit Ups Video

https://youtu.be/5G_qvEcqL1g

Get yourself into a sports hall and do the beep test, push ups are push ups just practice and you’ll get it,

Not too bad in the RDF a good few years myself

Ah right cool, what unit where you attached to?

• Advertisement

Thanks, oh these are going to be painful lol

Advertisement