Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

jojomama wrote: »
    And me :D

Another one here too! I think there has been a push over the last few years to get more women to apply. It's good to have a few girls around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

lealor17 wrote: »
    leheaven wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity is there many women on here?
    Im not sure but I was wondering the same. Theres me anyway:)

Me too :)

Is there anyone applying from the north? Just wondering will that hold up things like my police check and exam certificate checks etc. Anyone any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Uweir32 wrote: »

Is there anyone applying from the north? Just wondering will that hold up things like my police check and exam certificate checks etc. Anyone any idea?

I'm from Dublin but I lived in England for a while and was told that when they do the background checks it can slow it down, especially if it was further afield than the UK. But it won't affect your application, just when you start training, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

Bookings are now open for stage 2. Dates between the 7-17 of August!

Another one here too! I think there has been a push over the last few years to get more women to apply. It's good to have a few girls around. :)

Yay. Great to see a few on here!

Just booked mine for the 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

Looking forward to the orientation presentation! Exciting :)

Looking forward to the orientation presentation! Exciting :)

Same here! Just read there that providing we do well we may be invited to stage 3 fairly quickly. So to get documentation in order soon just Incase. I’ll have to order my Leaving Cert results as I can’t find them lol. If we have qualifications since the L.c do we bring them aswell?

I think someone on one of these threads said his vetting was a bit longer because he had lived abroad for while. I can’t imagine living in the North would hold it up too long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lealor17

Same here! Just read there that providing we do well we may be invited to stage 3 fairly quickly. So to get documentation in order soon just Incase. I’ll have to order my Leaving Cert results as I can’t find them lol. If we have qualifications since the L.c do we bring them aswell?

Oh really? Like they'll want all this documentation on the same day as the stage 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

LukeP26 wrote: »
    Just booked mine for the 17th

Oh really? Like they'll want all this documentation on the same day as the stage 2?

No not on the day of the stage 2 tests but soon after. It says you may not have time to get some documentation between stage 2 and 3 so we should be getting them in order now. I’ll prob have to order my leaving cert results as I can’t find them but I did find the junior cert lol. I must of taken them out of the folder at some stage and don’t know where I put them, typical!

I'm going to do the test prep course as well to prepare for it. I was worried I wouldn't be able to go because I'm going on holidays from the 7th-14th, I was delighted there was slots all the way up to the 17th!

No not on the day of the stage 2 tests but soon after. It says you may not have time to get some documentation between stage 2 and 3 so we should be getting them in order now. I’ll prob have to order my leaving cert results as I can’t find them but I did find the junior cert lol. I must of taken them out of the folder at some stage and don’t know where I put them, typical!

Ah ok that's cool. Yeah I know! I'll have to order mine too because I have no hope of finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Ah ok that's cool. Yeah I know! I'll have to order mine too because I have no hope of finding them.

Any idea what other documentation would be required?

thos23 wrote: »
    Any idea what other documentation would be required?

I don't know, I guess like any results for exams that you completed and definitely anything to do with any course etc that you put down on your original application form. Also in the previous PAS exams and interviews I did, they always want a copy of your birth certificate and passport at the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Bookings are now open for stage 2. Dates between the 7-17 of August!

Where are you seeing this? :confused:

job seeker wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this? :confused:

Go into my booking on PAS and go to book now and then in there you can choose your date and time slot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

If you're in the first 900 you should have it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

Dress code for these assessments? Although it’s not actually an interview I’m assuming to stick to suits for the time being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Dress code for these assessments? Although it’s not actually an interview I’m assuming to stick to suits for the time being?

No, wear what you are comfortable in. It's a long old day. At the minute you're still just a number. Suit up for interview. Best of luck with Stage 2.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    No, wear what you are comfortable in. It's a long old day. At the minute you're still just a number. Suit up for interview. Best of luck with Stage 2.

Yeah they dont mind what you wear on the test day. So be comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

seen someone wear shorts before dress code is only for interview and meeting super.

mrDerek wrote: »
    seen someone wear shorts before dress code is only for interview and meeting super.

Oh god what do women wear lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Oh god what do women wear lol

Nothing , if they want to give themselves the best chance of progression over the others....

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Nothing , if they want to give themselves the best chance of progression over the others....

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Has anyone on forum lived away from Ireland in last 5 years? Just regarding vetting, enquired through a local garda, said my vetting may take 6-12 months because I lived in the States for a year, anyone know can this be quickened up at all by any means?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

thos23 wrote: »
    Has anyone on forum lived away from Ireland in last 5 years? Just regarding vetting, enquired through a local garda, said my vetting may take 6-12 months because I lived in the States for a year, anyone know can this be quickened up at all by any means?

That's mental, 6 months not so bad really but a year is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Flashpoint

That's mental, 6 months not so bad really but a year is mad.

It Used to be 12 months for vetting for an Irish person to get into the Army Reserve. That sounds about right for the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I've been living in New Zealand for the past five years, flying back for the assessments.

• Advertisement

Just did the test prep stage 2 course with Paul today, just wondering if anyone has any links to any report writing videos or examples? If not I'll probably purchase the online material from careerservices.ie so if anyone wants that material I'd be happy to share it (provided no one has other examples to share as I'd rather not spend the 90 quid lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Just did the test prep stage 2 course with Paul today, just wondering if anyone has any links to any report writing videos or examples? If not I'll probably purchase the online material from careerservices.ie so if anyone wants that material I'd be happy to share it (provided no one has other examples to share as I'd rather not spend the 90 quid lol)

https://youtu.be/hY1LukxY4c4

Study Guide for the Columbus Ohio Police Officer Entry Level Examination. That's the video. There is only one so do it under test conditions. Then you can compare your answer to the good/bad examples in the study guide.

Read the writing sample section of the study guide first though. Just not the answers: https://www.columbus.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147485620

Edit: If you scroll/search back and I mean waaaaay back through the pre-moratorium recruitment posts. There is a layout for the reports in there somewhere. Found it after I'd done mine!

Elliot192 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/hY1LukxY4c4

Study Guide for the Columbus Ohio Police Officer Entry Level Examination. That's the video. There is only one so do it under test conditions. Then you can compare your answer to the good/bad examples in the study guide.

Read the writing sample section of the study guide first though. Just not the answers: https://www.columbus.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147485620

Edit: If you scroll/search back and I mean waaaaay back through the pre-moratorium recruitment posts. There is a layout for the reports in there somewhere. Found it after I'd done mine!

Thanks for that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

They don't give you any report writing material only on the day you went in i ask aswell. but they didnt recommend any videos online or anything which i thought is bad can't just expect everyone to just have the one go at it during the course day.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Phillip k wrote: »
    They don't give you any report writing material only on the day you went in i ask aswell. but they didnt recommend any videos online or anything which i thought is bad can't just expect everyone to just have the one go at it during the course day.

Are you talking about the career services material online? They uploaded the report writing exercises after the course was taught. They said they do this on purpose so that people can practice them after knowing what format to use when writing the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭davinci88

How many still to be called from other campaigns ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

Good luck to anyone doing stage 2 this week! See yee next Monday at 11:30 :)

Vardy it says you have to delete some messages
    because you're full, before I can send you a reply

vardy98 wrote: »
    How do I do that on this, I can't figure it out?
    I'm not sure TBH. I'm pretty confident, booked in for the 17th, 3 days after my holidays. I just need to practice a couple more hours and I'm done, especially report writing. Only thing I'm worried about is that I scored so high in stage 1 that I have to repeat the results or better, just hoping the questions will be the same. How about you

Is the 6 month training in templemore 9-5? For the 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Is the 6 month training in templemore 9-5? For the 6 months

Phase 1 is 8 months and yeah 9-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

vardy98 wrote: »
    How do I do that on this, I can't figure it out?

Hi Vardy98, I was trying to reply to you as well. You must be flat out!
    When you go in for stage 2 you sign a confidentiality agreement so I don't think anyone can give specifics without jeopardizing their place. We were warned as well that boards are monitored so worth keeping in mind for anyone who is posting any personal info.
    I think at the end of the day you can only do so much prep for this stage, it may even vary from group to group so no point getting too bogged down in the details. If you can stay on top of the nerves and use common sense for the most part you probably won't go too far wrong.
    Good luck with your stage 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I'm not sure TBH. I'm pretty confident, booked in for the 17th, 3 days after my holidays. I just need to practice a couple more hours and I'm done, especially report writing. Only thing I'm worried about is that I scored so high in stage 1 that I have to repeat the results or better, just hoping the questions will be the same. How about you

I can relate to this. I think I achieved my maximum results in stage one and will find it hard to better them and maybe even hard to level them depending on the question. Obviously I never cheated but if my results fall a bit I hope that's not an assumption made.

justshane wrote: »
    I can relate to this. I think I achieved my maximum results in stage one and will find it hard to better them and maybe even hard to level them depending on the question. Obviously I never cheated but if my results fall a bit I hope that's not an assumption made.

I know what you mean. Apparently you're allowed to get about 10% less than what you got in stage 1 but anymore than that and you're out

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

Anyone know how stringent the scoring on the report writing is?

I found the speakers weren't great in the testing room, the sound was a bit distorted and because of that I missed out on a few of the specific details here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

some details are critical some arent. Youd get heavily docked if you get names numbers addresses wrong/omitted but stuff like colour t-shirt/colour bag etc would not be as heavily marked against.

Anyone know how stringent the scoring on the report writing is?

I found the speakers weren't great in the testing room, the sound was a bit distorted and because of that I missed out on a few of the specific details here and there.

I’ve seen a number of people saying the audio isn’t great, have anyone do you know reported the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

I’ve seen a number of people saying the audio isn’t great, have anyone do you know reported the issue?

I didn't say anything on the day but I rang PAS and I was told that unless you raise the issue on the day there's nothing you can do. Starting to worry a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

I didn't say anything on the day but I rang PAS and I was told that unless you raise the issue on the day there's nothing you can do. Starting to worry a bit!

I'm from June '17 campaign. The sound was **** when I done mine too. I never go the Victims name which was required through the report and I came out with a fairly good OOM, although I'm pretty confident all other elements of my report were spot on.

From what I remember you marked on accuracy aswell so you'd be deducted marks if you got the digits in the phone number mixed up.

Don't worry too much about it, it's done now. I'm sure you done better than you thought.

Advertisement