Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping back Canadian for Irish Driving Licence

Options
  • 15-12-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience swapping back a Canadian/Ontario licence for an Irish?
    Does your Irish driving number get activated again straight away? Or do you need to wait for the physical licence to be re-issued? It says it can take 2-3 months!

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JahRama

I don’t have experience of it but I did contact the RSA twice and was assured that the swap back would be no problem at all.
    For anyone thinking of not changing their licence I highly recommend that you do. I changed mine only a few days before I was involved in a car accident. I was fortunate as insurance companies have been known not to pay out to foreigners who have not changed over their licence as they should have after the 90 days

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#holders-of-licences-issued-by-recognised-states
    As a visitor to Ireland you can drive on a driving licence from any state outside the EU/EEA for up to a year provided the driving licence is current and valid. However on taking up 'normal residence' in Ireland you must either exchange your driving licence or apply for a driving licence in Ireland. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

Ireland has agreements with certain countries/states that designates them as recognised states for the purposes of driving licence exchange. In order to exchange your licence you must apply in person at any NDLS centre with the following
    • Application form for Driving licence D401 (Fully completed)
    • Your current full licence (please note, if your licence does not have a category start date you will need to provide an original letter of entitlement / driver statement from your relevant authority)
    • If you do not have your licence you will need to present an original letter of entitlement/ driver statement from the appropriate licencing authority and complete the lost licence declaration (see question 17 on application form)
    • If your licence is from a recognised state and is expired for less than one year , it must be accompanied by a letter of entitlement / driver statement from your relevant authority
    • Evidence of PPSN
    • NDLS medical form (dated within 1 month) if required
    • If your licence is from a recognised state you must present an eyesight report form D502
    • Evidence of CPC if required
    • Evidence of address (must be dated within 6 months)
    • Evidence of residency entitlement
    • Relevant fee
    • Certified translations are required for all Letter of Entitlement/Driver statements which are not in English or Irish
    • Your Photograph and signature will be captured at the NDLS office

Recognised states are:
    • Ontario Province of Canada
    • Manitoba Province of Canada
    • Newfoundland & Labrador Province of Canada
    • British Columbia Province of Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Anybody with experience swapping back to an Irish licence from an Ontario licence, how long did NDLS take to reissue the Irish licence to you?

Their FAQ suggests 3 months, wondering is this the norm or worst case scenario?

Advertisement